• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Why do the average "People of Walmart" have such awful taste in entertainment? They make their voice heard with their money and since there are so many of them it really adds up and thus the horrible state of TV/movies/music/video games.

#2 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Anyone think otherwise or have other theories? Or does popular=garbage 90% of the time?

#3 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

It'd be cool if I knew what you were talking about.

#4 Mr.Wronkite123

Mr.Wronkite123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Super Smash Bros.
    Animation
    TV
    Interwebs

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Taste in entertainment range widely from person to person, no matter how "good" or "bad" that thing is. If that one thing has enough fans, and becomes popular, it's perfectly fine. Don't like it? Just don't like it. Ex: I am one of many that loves fighting games. My friend on the other hand hates them with a passion, but enjoys COD (which I'm indifferent to AT BEST). But we both agree to disagree because we acknowledge our different tastes in video games. What others eat don't make you sh*t. That's the moral of the story.

#5 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Examples
http://m.usatoday.co...le/news/2514973
http://blogs.smithso...y-gotten-worse/

http://www.investope...bad-movies.aspx

http://www.sociology...tch-reality-tv/

#6 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

The above links in order: film reviews, top 40 music, state of Hollywood, and reality TV. Posted from phone so its hard to edit.

#7 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I believe the elusive phenomenon is known as "people have different opinions".

#8 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think it is slightly more simple than that. I believe that there are actually people who enjoy bad things simply because they have not experienced or do not understand better ones, People are also taught to publicly show enjoyment for things that are popular as a way of conforming with the perceived norm. This behavior causes people to claim to like something when they really don't, as long as they think their friends or social circle do.

#9 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think it is slightly more simple than that. I believe that there are actually people who enjoy bad things simply because they have not experienced or do not understand better ones, People are also taught to publicly show enjoyment for things that are popular as a way of conforming with the perceived norm. This behavior causes people to claim to like something when they really don't, as long as they think their friends or social circle do.

I agree when I was a kid I would hide the fact that I liked shows like power rangers  or Hercules the legendary journeys simply because they were not popular with my social group mostly a girl I liked I almost lost a really good friend because I was being a tool and was trying to be something I wasn't but i quickly grew out of that.

and i know of many cases where this kind of shit happened

#10 KibaxHinata

KibaxHinata

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Anarchy Reigns, Bleach, Naruto, TF2, Avengers Alliance, Gintama, DEATH BATTLE, AT4W, Nostagia Critic, ToddInTheShadows, Fighting games, Queens Blade, alternative, rock, metal, B-C List characters

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

I think it just depends. For instance, similar to what Wronkite said; I love fighting games for its lore and backgrounds (I.E: resident Mary-Sue Wolverine can get his posterior handed to him by a LAWYER and who'd know Talim was from the Philippines if not for her backstory) but one of my best friends prefer FPS games even when I found them fun but never to my taste. Even then, we find middle ground such as in Mass Effect (which has a large fanbase) and certain anime like Attack on Titan and FMA. 

As for the popularity clinqe, that does tend to happen more than it should. I hate One Piece outside its fight scenes but read it to see why people love it and I dispise My Little Pony but after watching 4 episodes understood why people like it. Overall, yes, many things have their odd tastes (still don't understand how a homage to mecha genre and an overall superior film like Pacific Rim lost to Dispicable Me and don't get me started on Toddlers in Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo); it just depends on your tastes; good or bad and even then, an opinion is an opinion.

#11 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Walmart scares me - especially when you go there at night.

The horror(s).

#12 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

What's a Walmart?

#13 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Nightmare Fuel.

#14 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

realty shows are just away to have a hit show and not have to hire decent actors stupid people will believe they are real and watch them so internet celebrities and anyone willing to make an ass out of themselves in front of billions of people can be famous. 

I mean a sit com actor will get paid a hundred thousand dollars an episode  while you can get by paying a reality show star a third of that and that's if it becomes a huge hit so the network and creator get a lot more of the money that's why reality tv is so popular.  

#15 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't believe in this at all. Why? Because Arcade Fire won a Grammy. I don't much like Arcade Fire, but I can understand how they won a Grammy. You think they're super popular? LOLNO.

#16 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Maybe as a whole we're getting sick of the DARK stories. 

That being said, I cannot justify an Adam Sandler movie making more than a movie about giant robots beating up aliens.

#17 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Not everyone is a geek and into things films like robot smashing aliens. People still love Adam Sandler and his movies always do well. No matter how shitty they are sometimes. People like watching idiots make a fool of themselves. That's why reality tv shows are popular. By now everyone knows their fake but it's just that alot of people still love them for some reason.

Yea alot of people win Grammy's or Oscars. Nobody really really gives a f**k these days because current music is horrible and the Oscars are just bullshit.

#18 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Not everyone is a geek and into things films like robot smashing aliens. People still love Adam Sandler and his movies always do well. No matter how shitty they are sometimes. People like watching idiots make a fool of themselves. That's why reality tv shows are popular. By now everyone knows their fake but it's just that alot of people still love them for some reason.

Yea alot of people win Grammers or Oscars. Nobody really really gives a f**k these days because current music is horrible and the Oscars are just bullshit.

Yay ignorance! For one, it's Grammy's, and two, current music is horrible because you don't care enough to find good stuff. The Oscars, I may give to you though. I will also give the Grammy's to you, but for the same reason as the Oscars. Mumford & Sons won Album Of The Year for Sigh No More Part 2 while Fun. loses out on Some Nights? Yeah, okay.

#19 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Ah good ole Surfer. One the grammer word was a honest mistake since I was busy doing something else. Which I corrected. Two yea no I stick with good music from back in the day. Rap and Rock today compared to years ago is horrible. I'm talking the ones that are mainstream and get the most attention now. So yea okay.

#20 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

local h

offspring

soundgarden

alice in chains

all had new albums out in the last year so I have been fairly happy .

but yeah for the most part new music sucks now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users