Photo

Joshua Nolan (Defiance) vs. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Scenarios

1.) Bar brawl. Each man is alone and unarmed, although improvised weapons are fair game. They'll fight until death or incapacitation.

2.) Duel at high noon on an abandoned street in Defiance, with concealment and cover readily available. Each man is armed with their trademark pistol, but the weapons are holstered with the combatants facing each other from fifteen meters away.

3.) Team-on-team shootout in a desert with sand dunes rocky outcroppings providing cover. Malcolm (revolver), Zoe (lever-action rifle), and Jayne (Vera and sidearm) are facing off against Nolan (handgun), Irisa (submachine gun and throwing knives), Tommy (pump-action shotgun and sidearm). If the odds favor Mal's team too much, add Eddie Braddock to the Defiance crew (armed with pipe bombs and a sidearm). Each group starts off out of sight from one another, with half a mile separating each other.

4.) Malcolm, Zoe, and Jayne must infiltrate Defiance and steal a shipment of artifacts and illegal weapons from Datak Tarr. Datak will be taking his normal security measures and the Lawkeeper/deputies will intervene when anything untoward occurs.

#2 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Oh good fight. I love both shows.

1. Nolan wins the bar brawl. In my opinion he is better in a H2H fight and is better at improvising during battle. Nolan had some good brawls on the show.

2. Malcolm may win here. He is just as good as Nolan with guns and I have seen some very good shots from him on their various missions. The thing is Nolan has had some damn good shots as well. Either could win here so it's a draw.

3. Malcolm's team wins. His team has more experience from the war and their different operations they have done on Serenity. A lot of them may also be more skilled with guns.

4. Defiance always has so much shit going on along with heated rivalries. Malcolm's team would use that to infiltrate Defiance and steal the shipment before Nolan would even know what was going on. Datak's men will be easy to take out. Now depending on when this takes place. They may or may not have to deal with the Bio-man (I think that's what their properly called) that Datak had. However that is very unlikely since Nolan took out the Bio-man very early in the season. 

#3 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Oh good fight. I love both shows.

Thanks, same here. I'm gonna play devil's advocate here just for the hell of it.

Nolan wins the bar brawl. In my opinion he is better in a H2H fight and is better at improvising during battle. Nolan had some good brawls on the show.

True, but don't forget that Malcolm managed to defeat the Operative in hand-to-hand in a fight that included some impressive feats of improvisation (i.e. taking on a katana with a screwdriver). And the Operative is more or less portrayed to be the Alliance's go-to super spy and assassin. Sort of like a toned down Jason Bourne in space.

Malcolm's team wins. His team has more experience from the war and their different operations they have done on Serenity. A lot of them may also be more skilled with guns.

You don't see a possible numerical advantage playing into the Defiance crew's hands? After all, Eddie is implied to be comparable to Nolan in terms of combat training and experience on the battlefield. Tommy held his own against multiple, well-armed E-Rep mercenaries.

Defiance always has so much shit going on along with heated rivalries. Malcolm's team would use that to infiltrate Defiance and steal the shipment before Nolan would even know what was going on. Datak's men will be easy to take out. Now depending on when this takes place. They may or may not have to deal with the Bio-man (I think that's what their properly called) that Datak had. However that is very unlikely since Nolan took out the Bio-man very early in the season.

We'll assume that this plays out about halfway through the season. For the sake of discussion, do you see Ulysses (the Bio-Man) changing the outcome at all? I think you could be right about the outcome, although there always exists the possibility that something could go wrong and Mal's crew ends up sandwiched between Datak's enforcers and the local deputies.

#4 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

My responses are in bold.

Thanks, same here. I'm gonna play devil's advocate here just for the hell of it.

True, but don't forget that Malcolm managed to defeat the Operative in hand-to-hand in a fight that included some impressive feats of improvisation (i.e. taking on a katana with a screwdriver). And the Operative is more or less portrayed to be the Alliance's go-to super spy and assassin. Sort of like a toned down Jason Bourne in space.

Ah very true. Mal and others have fought some very skilled opponents on their mission. I may have to reconsider this one. Keep in mind though Nolan took out the Bio Man with ease once he remembered the off switch and took some damn good punishment in the process. Nolan has fought Datak and more who are skilled in H2H combat. 

You don't see a possible numerical advantage playing into the Defiance crew's hands? After all, Eddie is implied to be comparable to Nolan in terms of combat training and experience on the battlefield. Tommy held his own against multiple, well-armed E-Rep mercenaries.

In that battle it's going to come down to experience and skills. Tommy may be good but isn't as experienced as any of Mal's crew. Tommy has on a few occasions been the first to get hit. Nolan, Irisa, and Eddie are the main ones Malcolm's team would have a hard time putting down. Mal's crew remember fought in a bit more advanced war in the Unification War. They have also fought members of the Alliance, a bounty hunter, and more. It's a pretty even battle but we actually saw parts of Mal and others in their battles in the past during flashbacks. We have actually see more from the Firefly's crew with their past then Nolan and Eddie. We haven't seen any of Nolan and Eddie's time during their war. That's problem that hurts them.

We'll assume that this plays out about halfway through the season. For the sake of discussion, do you see Ulysses (the Bio-Man) changing the outcome at all? I think you could be right about the outcome, although there always exists the possibility that something could go wrong and Mal's crew ends up sandwiched between Datak's enforcers and the local deputies.

The Bio-Man definitely changes things mostly because Malcolm's crew doesn't know the off-switch. Malcolm's crew would more then likely create a division to keep Datak's enforcers and the deputies busy. If they observe Defiance long enough they can see the hatred and rivals that Defiance factions have toward one another. Malcolm is one he would have one of his crew create a division to start a riot, explosion, or some kind of another problem that attracts people's attention. He would make sure the Dataks were involved because anything involving them always causes problems since people don't like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users