Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

A Requite for Sollus: Round 1, Fight 4

The Rise of the Supermen

“It happened back in 199X, on the eve of the 1st anniversary of the Death of Sollus.  Vigils were being held all across the world—” The grandfather stretched his arm out wide for emphasis.  “…and the former Jupiter League members were in attendance.  It was on this historic day that a group of former Sollus villains known as Poisonus, Multova, the Body Countess, Doctor Mentis and Korgos, the giant Bronze Colossus formed a new, deadly team.”  The grandson’s eyes grew wide.  “They attacked the vigil at the memorial statue of Sollus.  Korgos ripped the head clean off the statue and used it to attack the alumni Jupiter League.  You see son, Korgos was only known physical equal to Sollus next to Mr. Tempest.  This was no slouching living statue.  With Blind Mike off becoming the Solar Architect and Mr., Tempest out of commission, none of them stood a chance.

With their attentions split between saving lives and fighting this newly found team, the Jupiter League was beaten pretty badly.  It was a sad day.  The criminals took to attacking the people.”  Granddad stopped.  “Then the SLJ came in and saved the day?” the boy asked.  Granddad shook his head.  “It was a horrible time for the heroes, kiddo.  Wanderlust Werewolf was a contract hit man, Miss March was pregnant with BrainChild and nobody wanted any of those lunatic groups around like Street Justice or the Crew.  The League was on its own.  A riot broke out amongst the carnage as Doctor Mentis used his mind control to cause the crowd to go mad.  It was complete madness until they arrived…”

“Who?” the boy asked.

“The heroes that rose to replace and avenge Sollus… I’ll tell you about them.”     

Sorry Gang, no story for you until you survive the first round.  Survive the first round and everybody gets awesome set-ups next round.  Good luck.  You may talk trash now.

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Learn More About
Soul
Origination: Physical
Alignment: Hero
Team: Solo Hero

Steel Maiden
Origination: Physical
Alignment: Hero
Team: The Sentinels of Liberty and Justice

#3 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Soul has this in the bag. After all, chicks dig giant robots.

#4 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:31 AM

Soul

Living here in Khazan/

This kid killed his parents dead/

Couldn't bring back Sollus/

So he built a bot instead!

The robot fights some giant apes and then repairs the damage done, because it can do that.

As simple as this character is, it has some clever ideas.  The genius kid building a robot specifically in place of Sollus is fairly original, and fighting off a troupe of King Kongs is downright cool, even if 40 feet isn't tall enough to pick up a skyscraper.  It's an action scene that almost epitomizes simple and elegant.

Of course, there are some issues.  The robot comes off as downright bloodthirsty, and I'm not at all sure where the healing powers = building restoration comes into play.  But it's a smart decision to distance it from the other flying bricks in the tournament.

My biggest issues involve the kid.  He killed his parents...but he doesn't see particularly bothered by this fact.  And is he an alien, or just a hyper-intelligent but sloppy on details green autistic kid?  Both are completely possible.

Overall, solid.  I look forward to more characters, bergy, and that's not something I expected to say when I first saw you.

Steel Maiden

The Maiden is some sort of demigod from warrior's afterlife Avalla, writing a letter...or something to her daughter, which is cool.  The Maiden crossed over to our humble little realm because she was hot for Sollus.  Over the years and art styles, she kept returning to the world, to continue to try to get in Sollus's spandex trousers.  I wonder if the man even noticed.

The Maiden dates a silver-age nice guy and a 90's anti-hero straight from the quill of Todd MacFarlane before being called back to Avalla for her own sake.  Then Sollus, of course, dies, and The Maiden stomps her way back to the mortal realm for revenge.

It's a sign of how good this character is that I'm disappointed in it.  It does a great job of expanding of Ivan's world, establishing Avalla, talking about her history with men.  The story she weaves is a fairly fascinating one, and leaves me hoping Deo continues.

'Cause, see...on the character sheet alone, I don't know all that much about the maiden.  I know how she was ruled by her libido when she was young and stupid...and when she was older...and hell, it feels like she's only participating now because she still has a thing for Sollus.  I don't know if she has any reason to stick around after she finds Sollus's killer.  Simply put, this tells more about Beacon and Wally than it does Steel Maiden herself.  Hell, I know more about Fianna than I do about Steel Maiden...at least I know Fianna's first name!

With some fic work, Steel Maiden could easily become my favorite character in this tourney.  As she is, she's merely good, which is still better than most of the combatants.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Soul VS. Steel Maiden

#5 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Soul

Living here in Khazan/

This kid killed his parents dead/

Couldn't bring back Sollus/

So he built a bot instead!

The robot fights some giant apes and then repairs the damage done, because it can do that.

As simple as this character is, it has some clever ideas.  The genius kid building a robot specifically in place of Sollus is fairly original, and fighting off a troupe of King Kongs is downright cool, even if 40 feet isn't tall enough to pick up a skyscraper.  It's an action scene that almost epitomizes simple and elegant.

Of course, there are some issues.  The robot comes off as downright bloodthirsty, and I'm not at all sure where the healing powers = building restoration comes into play.  But it's a smart decision to distance it from the other flying bricks in the tournament.

My biggest issues involve the kid.  He killed his parents...but he doesn't see particularly bothered by this fact.  And is he an alien, or just a hyper-intelligent but sloppy on details green autistic kid?  Both are completely possible.

Overall, solid.  I look forward to more characters, bergy, and that's not something I expected to say when I first saw you.

Nice poem. Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of things to say in response.

They're 40 stories tall, which is around 400 feet. Soul being taller than that, and having ultimate strength, I figured that skyscraper swinging was reasonable.

I was thinking less bloodthirsty and more calculating. Apes who wreck a city once may do so again. And sollus had that aura of his, so I figured the robotic version would be rebuilding.

Idiot savant. Robots and machines are a natural talent. If I had written this through with the kid highlighted after the personality, technopathy would be a power. This kid can't tie his own shoes, but can build a robot to do it that also shoots laser beams and plays a mean jazz clarinet. As a savant(which I believe is kind of a really severe form of autism, though I could totally be wrong there), there's a bit of detachment to the real world.

Um...thanks?

#6 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Khazan is not a great place to live in these set ups.

#7 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

My only argument is that Hard Knox is in none of these characters.  Knox being nearly 100 years old, should be in everything.

#8 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Oh shit! I could've used Knox. I love that guy. He's one of my favorites in the FPL right now. He should meet Dub THuMP.

#9 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Khazan is not a great place to live in these set ups.

Well, when the price of bananas skyrockets, these things happen.

#10 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Oh shit! I could've used Knox. I love that guy. He's one of my favorites in the FPL right now. He should meet Dub THuMP.

Sucks for you that the characters were even. I had two ideas for the tournament:

1. Was a villain named Soulless, who was the exact opposite of Sollus in that typical Venom sort of way. The idea was taken from a Shel Silverstein poem.

2. The second idea was a pissed off Knox who was only involved in this because Sollus owed him money from a poker match. Sollus died, so Knox was going to take his owed payment out on Sollus' killer in 90's gritty big gun style.

#11 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

This would've been the poem for Soulless.

"Each time I see the Upside-Down Man
Standing in the water,
I look at him and start to laugh,
Although I shouldn't oughtter.
For maybe in another world
Another time
Another town,
Maybe HE is right side up
And I am upside down."

- Shel Silverstein

#12 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Someone should do a fic with the oldest (age wise) characters from each team going against each other, like an AARP all out war.

#13 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oh, those do sound good.

#14 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Someone should do a fic with the oldest (age wise) characters from each team going against each other, like an AARP all out war.

Who are the oldest characters? I know Greenwood is a couple centuries old. Knox is about a century. I'm about to submit a character that's somewhere in the tens of thousands of years old. Into the CA boards tomorrow I hope.

#15 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Who are the oldest characters? I know Greenwood is a couple centuries old. Knox is about a century. I'm about to submit a character that's somewhere in the tens of thousands of years old. Into the CA boards tomorrow I hope.

Lets see; Knox, Greenwood, Victor Vandal, Eternal Patriot, Masuta Tengoku, Van Hyde, Raja Yama (How old are Old Roger and the Broker?). I think I got everyone.

I'm going to be "updating Mr.Styx's sheet soon which will reveal things like what he is and where he came from.

#16 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Old Roger is early fifties, but hard living makes him look older.

#17 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Match Final Results
Steel Maiden Won a match against Soul
10 to 3
Overpowering Win ... Brutal Loss: Fame points doubled!
Soul: -50 fame points
Steel Maiden: 50 fame points

#18 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

For the record, I have never liked anything written by Deojusto. Especially not a sack full of spiders or Force Warriors. Those two are especially awful.

Deo, you're a bad writer and a jerkface.

And I am totally not just being a sore loser and saying things just to be petty and mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users