Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

A Requite for Sollus: Round 1, Fight 3

The Rise of the Supermen

“It happened back in 199X, on the eve of the 1st anniversary of the Death of Sollus.  Vigils were being held all across the world—” The grandfather stretched his arm out wide for emphasis.  “…and the former Jupiter League members were in attendance.  It was on this historic day that a group of former Sollus villains known as Poisonus, Multova, the Body Countess, Doctor Mentis and Korgos, the giant Bronze Colossus formed a new, deadly team.”  The grandson’s eyes grew wide.  “They attacked the vigil at the memorial statue of Sollus.  Korgos ripped the head clean off the statue and used it to attack the alumni Jupiter League.  You see son, Korgos was only known physical equal to Sollus next to Mr. Tempest.  This was no slouching living statue.  With Blind Mike off becoming the Solar Architect and Mr., Tempest out of commission, none of them stood a chance.

With their attentions split between saving lives and fighting this newly found team, the Jupiter League was beaten pretty badly.  It was a sad day.  The criminals took to attacking the people.”  Granddad stopped.  “Then the SLJ came in and saved the day?” the boy asked.  Granddad shook his head.  “It was a horrible time for the heroes, kiddo.  Wanderlust Werewolf was a contract hit man, Miss March was pregnant with BrainChild and nobody wanted any of those lunatic groups around like Street Justice or the Crew.  The League was on its own.  A riot broke out amongst the carnage as Doctor Mentis used his mind control to cause the crowd to go mad.  It was complete madness until they arrived…”

“Who?” the boy asked.

“The heroes that rose to replace and avenge Sollus… I’ll tell you about them.”     

Sorry Gang, no story for you until you survive the first round.  Survive the first round and everybody gets awesome set-ups next round.  Good luck.  You may talk trash now.

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Learn More About
The Count
Origination: Elemental
Alignment: Hero
Team: Solo Hero

Sky Guardian
Origination: Physical
Alignment: Hero
Team: Solo Hero

#3 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

The Count sucks... *Crickets*

#4 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

The Count sucks... *Crickets*

I get it, cuz he's like an energy vampire. You funny.

#5 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

The Count

The Count was some sort of energy-draining vampire until he drains Sollus, and--oops, the Count turned good.  Count was much happier for it, and so is pretty understandably heartbroken when the man dies.  Naturally, he uses the powers he sapped from Sollus so long ago to save lives, literally using Sollus's own powers--and then his own energy-drain powers, using them in reverse to save a little girl from the verge of death.

It turns out a portion of Sollus's soul is in the Count, and Sollus himself gives the Count a hearty metaphorical pat on the back.

The Count is possibly the best character in the first round.  He has a very direct connection to Sollus, which really should have been everyone's intent.   Not to imply anything, but he's written quite eloquently for a former crazed murderer, especially that moment of change in the origin description.  The fact the Count simply isn't very good at saving people at this early stage is well shown as well, with his injuring the girl he's trying to save more than he helps.  It's brilliant.

I'm not sure I like Sollus being alive in some way, nor the tone his soul takes of knowing something the Count doesn't.  Sollus is meant to be dead and gone, and I'm not sure him being around will assist anything, or if it's even being true to the storyline.  Not to mention it's just the eensiest bit convenient a apartment building happens to collapse when the Count's around.  Finally, we don't know enough about the Count's powers.  Does he keep Sollus's powers forever?  If so, he must have quite a collection of superpowers built up.  If not, then he's in the danger of reverting to his old ways.

But overall, this is a really solid character with stellar writing, a compelling main character and a great concept behind it all.  The fact the Count just attempts to save a building and a life is a refreshing, endearing change from fighting off killer monsters, killer asteroids, and killer robots.

Sky Guardian

The unnamed narrator (let's call him Vyse, 'cause Skies of Arcadia rocks) is the battle-loving captain-general-guy of a flotilla of conquering battlespaceships that descend on a planet I'd guess was Earth, except for the stuff about how half the planet is in eternal night.  That doesn't even make sense.  Anyway, Vyse's ships are met with unexpected resistance, and, despite Vyse's intervention in the form of awesomely smashing his way out of his falling ship and punching the opposing craft to bits, they are forced to retreat when a motherfucker of a ship that Vyse somehow knows the name of appears.

Vyse crash-lands, and is eventually found by Ma and Pa Kent an old farm couple, who take this bizarre man with unknown powers into their home and embrace him.  Vyse may or may not have amnesia, but in any case is taken by their rustic country ways of worshiping Sollus like a graven image.  When Sollus is dead and the Sentinels not good enough to face up to coming threats, Vyse realizes  to protect the people he's come to love and their folksy country traditions, he has to become their flying guardian.  A "Sky Guardian," if you will.

This is one of those characters that was really hurt by the word limit.  There are simply too many questions left unanswered at the end of the night.  Why does Vyse have these powers anyway--does being general-captain of the Empire grant you them?  What exactly made him crash-land after the battle, and was that battle on Earth in the first place or not?  Did he have amnesia after the crash-landing?  If not, what happened to his devotion to the Empire and his lust for conquering worlds?  If so, why does he remember all his powers?  And just what the hell happened in that flashback in the personality?  

It's a okay character with an interesting protagonist, very good writing, and an appropriately humble setting and tone.  It just deserves to be a lot more.  You've come a long goddamn way, Darkender.

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Count VS. Sky Guardian

#6 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I probably could have written it better, but I didn't want to actually bring Sollus back at all. My idea was that the Energy Glut that is the Count got a whole bunch of Sollus's nebulously defined Hero Energy that surrounds him. Y'know the stuff that makes people happier or whatever. That Hero Energy turned the Count into a good guy or at least gave him a conscience. The only way he could reconcile his newfound conscience with his old urge to hurt people was to rationalize that he'd somehow consumed Sollus's soul. That's why Sollus doesn't confirm that his soul was eaten, he says, "You could say that."

That said, I could have written that better. Thanks for the feedback and welcome back, Exal.

#7 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, this character was an idea I had before this tourney and Treacherous suggested I save it for this. It didn't transfer over as well as I would have liked since I had to omit and leave some things unanswered. Because of the word limit, for example, I purposely left out his name since he was narrating it. Assuming it would be understandable he lost his memory. However, I also assumed the little description on the dark world would rule out Earth, which doesn't have any sort of everlasting night time, and lead one to assume it was an alien planet. But , bah! I do plan on writing a whole sheet for him, so I can at least show him progress as a character on Earth.

Thanks for the review though!

#8 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Match Final Results
The Count Won a match against Sky Guardian
7 to 6
The Count: 25 fame points
Sky Guardian: -25 fame points

#9 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Next time Pseudo... Next time. B)

#10 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Next time. Put out another character and I'll write a fic with him and Jejj the Kavator.

#11 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

We'll see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users