Guardian

#2 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

And a question, what if I want to gift my character with a sword that is very sharp. How would I go about that?

#3 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Weapon master?

#4 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

So Weapon Master can mean

Character is good with a select weapon

Character is good with weapons

Character has a very good weapon.

interchangably?

#5 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Eh, why not. I would think it's assumed that if a character has a weapon they are proficient, and vice versa.

#6 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

I would either use weapon master or gadgetry

#7 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

What does the power description say?

#8 The Rookie

The Rookie

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

According to an earlier post somewhere by foxfingers/serge/his lordship Weapon Master includes the weapon you are a master of. It's a change I don't really agree with but I also don't code this place.

#9 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

I guess Good Writing will tell the difference.

#10 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

So what are the basic guidelines for how strong the different ranks are? What is the difference between Superior and Supreme Fire.

I'm only mentioning this here because it's a related topic. Not sure if we need a full thread for it.

#11 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Choosing Power Levels is a part of writing well. It's to your discretion whether an ability belongs in what category.

#12 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm just saying that people new to the site need to have a way of knowing what the "expectations" are.

#13 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

and you are right to insist.

Preemptive Disclaimer:  Because the power descriptions have been farmed out to a tvtropes style wiki, the power explanations you read will appear vague, confusing, and categorized in a series of false binaries constructed by people who think Naruto is the pinnacle of entertainment.  In the FPL, it is ultimately the responsibility of the writer to craft power descriptions that are clear, concise, and above all enjoyable to read.  If you have questions about a specific ability, please feel free to ask away.  A great resource is the "Historical Famous Character" list, as well as the "Main Event Winner" list.

Instead of attempting to quantify numerical levels arbitrarily, I will write qualitatively about the levels. 

First of all, please note that with any power, regardless of level, a character must use the modifiers Ranged, Long Ranged, Area Effect, Extended Area Effect, Multi-Attack, and Seeker to achieve any of those effects.

Standard level powers are the bread-and-butter of the FPL.  These abilities may get overlooked or underestimated by new players because, strictly speaking, they don't have the world-crushing might of Ultimate powers.  However, a single standard power can totally change the nature of a fight, and a large part of FPL power strategy focuses on combining powers to interesting effects.  Some powers let characters avoid getting hit by dodging or hiding, some allow healing, regeneration, or augmentation of abilities.  Some improve a character's chance to hit by buffing accuracy, or dexterity, or anticipation.  There is an incredible range of options.  Be aware that Standard level powers are the basic interpretation of the ability.  If your best friend tells you "I have studied Krav Maga for about five years" that's Standard Martial Arts (now apparently known as "Hand to Hand Fighting.")  A Standard Invisibility power would likely not actually be true invisibility- rather it might be a chameleon-like ability to blend into the surroundings- enough to get the drop on an opponent, but not enough to rob Fort Knox undetected.   Remember with Standard powers that they represent the most basic level of that ability- Standard Flight can get you where you're going, but with limited speed, altitude, and maneuverability.

Superior powers are a big step up from Standard- comparable to the difference between a high school athlete and an Olympic Champion.  Superior powers can represent decades of study or the limit of natural talent.  An ordinary bird might have Standard Flight, but a Humming Bird, with it's superior speed and maneuverability could claim Superior.  An Albatross, for whom extended day-long flight seems virtually effortless, might also claim Superior for different reasons.  Superior Enhanced Senses would allow more than one sense to be heightened.  Superior might also be indicative of extremely fine craftsmanship- a Superior sword would have been forged by the greatest swordsmith alive, and in the hands of a skilled master might be able to break lesser weapons.  Additionally, at Superior level, abilities start being able to crudely mimic other abilities- a Superior Sonic (now inexplicably renamed "Sound,") power would not just allow a loud blast of sonic energy.  The character could perform that attack, but at Superior they might also be able to modulate volume, frequency, pitch, timbre, vibrato, etc in order to mimic a human voice, becoming a true ventriloquist with Sonics as a kind of ersatz Illusion Creation, in order to mess with their opponent.

Supreme powers are an order of magnitude above Superior.  A Supreme sword would be the stuff of legend- Excalibur, The Sword of Omens, The Vorpal Blade, etc.  Supreme is the rank that starts allowing characters to use their powers on a larger scale- Supreme Phasing or Supreme Teleportation would allow a group effect- extending internal powers from oneself.  Supreme Danger Sense is at Kwisatz Haderach levels, Supreme Telekinesis makes you a match for Starkiller, and Supreme Shapeshifting starts to border on Impossible Man territory.  Supreme powers should be regarded as a glass-ceiling for any character that doesn't NEED to take Ultimate level powers for a very specific reason.  

Ultimate level powers exist at the extreme end of the spectrum, and creators should be incredibly reticent to purchase these.  Take the ability and extrapolate it to the nth degree, and that is Ultimate.  Ultimate Gravity control lets you create a black hole.  Ultimate Speed lets you laugh at the theory of Relativity.  Ultimate Commander gives you a nation of minions to do your bidding!  The sky is the limit with Ultimate, but only if you believe in limits.  Use incredibly sparingly.

#14 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Motion to Drop this into an official, pinned FAQ somewhere?

#15 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Might want to remove my editorializing at the beginning if you do.

EDIT:  removed references to my personal biases in the first two paragraphs.

#16 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'll probably pin it first chance I get. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users