• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Magneto, comic book version

vs

The Enterprise, from the 2009 Star Trek film

Due to some space-and-timey crap the Enterprise is transported to Earth 616, of the Marvel universe, right above Magneto's most recent hideout. Magneto sees the ship as a threat and takes flight towards it, which Kirk sees as an attack. Violence ensues. Neither knows anything about the other, obviously. Everyone is in character. Death, incapacitation and surrender all count as a win.

Opinions?

#2 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Do you hate Star Trek? Magneto crushes that entire ship and turns it into a soda can.

#3 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I doubt the Enterprise has a thing it can do to penetrate Magneto's force field. This is a one-sided fight.

#4 Kate Awesome Is Awesome

Kate Awesome Is Awesome

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:I like animoo, vidja games, moobies, bewks

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

This is all Magneto until he makes the mistake of ripping Kirk's shirt.

Game. Set. Match. Enterprise.

#5 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

I thought that kind of thing might be said, but i also thought people might think that Magneto gets slaughtered by the lasers he can't control... It would be good if people could state why they think what they do, such as explain relevant feats, like when has Magneto ever crushed something the size of the Enterprise, was it easy, etc?

Also, i was thinking of the more recent version/s of Magneto, who isn't as shield-happy as his more classic self.

#6 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Magneto always uses his force fields even today regardless of the fact he isn't on classic Magneto level. As far as feats....Are you seriously asking for proof that he has the power to crush the Enterprise? 

#7 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

The guy has effortlessly disabled every electronic device on the planet. He shreds the Enterprise apart effortlessly.

And yes, he can deflect light, and photons. They are a part of the E/M spectrum.

#8 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

They haven't given much indication of the power level of the Enterprise in the movies, however in the original series there are some indicators. The best is probably "The Paradise Syndrome" in which the Enterprise is trying to save a planet with an asteroid "roughly the size of earth's moon."

Spock's plan to split the asteroid in two  suggests that doing so is barely possible. It suggests that the Enterprise can move a mass half the size of the moon with its tractor beams.

The energy to split a stony mass the size of the moon would be equivalent to a 7,590,000 gigaton nuclear explosion. That's 151,800,000 times the power of the Tsar Bomba. 

I don't think Magneto's shields have ever withstood anything close to that, and I don't think Magneto's ever done anything comparable to shoving around something half the size of the moon.

#9 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

The new Star Trek film is a different timeline though. That feat didn't happen and more then likely won't.

#10 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Those are fair points. But what's to stop Magneto from breaking into the enterprise and doing this at close range? His force field will certainly stand up to anything handheld, and he can just rip it apart from the inside. That'd only considering he can't poul it apart from the outside.

#11 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

The new Star Trek film is a different timeline though. That feat didn't happen and more then likely won't.

That doesn't mean the capabilities of the ship are different.

#12 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'll agree that Magneto's shields can easily withstand hand phasers. Getting onboard would be the hard part. Before he can do that, or directly affect the ship with a magnetic attack, he has to get through the shields. I suspect they would deflect focussed magnetism in the same way they deflect focused light and radiation.

#13 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

The guy has effortlessly disabled every electronic device on the planet. He shreds the Enterprise apart effortlessly.

And yes, he can deflect light, and photons. They are a part of the E/M spectrum.

That's impressive, but not conclusive. Starfleet technology has to be better hardened against EMP than modern tech. And, while he can deflect phasers and photon torpedoes in principle, his ability to shield against energy is finite. 

#14 badpierce

badpierce

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Football, xbox, Sci fi

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

He could probably destroy the ship before they fired a shot. I Dont think they would shot him with everything the got right away. Why would they really? Just a dude flying there. Kurk would probably beam him to the Brig with a security team there to meet him. That wouldn't end well for the redshirts.

#15 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Their sensors would detect a man, flying through space under his own power and generating an amazingly powerful magnetic field. Unless they're idiots they'd be careful.

#16 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Magneto always uses his force fields even today regardless of the fact he isn't on classic Magneto level. As far as feats....Are you seriously asking for proof that he has the power to crush the Enterprise? 

I can't remember the last time i saw him use a forcefield myself. He still can, of course, it's just not something he does as often as he used to. And yes, i'm asking for proof, because it makes the debate worth having, not because i disagree.

Could you give more conclusive evidence to support those feats?

snip

snip

snip

You've all made some very good points, i think some people are underestimating the capabilities of the Enterprise and how it's crew thinks, so i'm glad there has been some credit given to them. I wanted to clarify a few things before we go on.

Firstly, Magneto and Kirk have each already seen the other and decided they were a threat. Secondly, it is very unlikely that Kirk would just barrage Magneto with everything the ship has, unless, of course, things go sour for the Captain, in which case it's very likely. Thirdly, Magneto obviously wants to get rid of the ship, but he doesn't want to crash the thing where the fight is taking place, because it's his HQ, so he'll be wanting to move the battle somewhere else.

#17 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

The Enterprise's torpedoes use 1.5 kg of antimatter, which would create 60 megatons of explosive capability. Magneto's deflected multiple nukes effortlessly. Plus, the fact is he can easily deflect any missile or E/M based attack directed at him.

#18 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

The Enterprise's torpedoes use 1.5 kg of antimatter, which would create 60 megatons of explosive capability. Magneto's deflected multiple nukes effortlessly. Plus, the fact is he can easily deflect any missile or E/M based attack directed at him.

Any missle or E/M attack? Are you saying the power level of the attack doesn't matter?

#19 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I can't remember the last time i saw him use a forcefield myself. He still can, of course, it's just not something he does as often as he used to. And yes, i'm asking for proof, because it makes the debate worth having, not because i disagree.

LOL you have spent a long time not reading any comics with Magneto then. He uses force fields still to this day. Avengers vs X-Men, Magneto not hero or whatever it was called, any X-Men title he is in, and more. Plenty of comics to read and choose for yourself to see.

Any missle or E/M attack? Are you saying the power level of the attack doesn't matter?

Magneto has blocked and countered more powerful attacks then the Enterprise. I didn't see anything from 2009 Star Trek film that would pose a problem for Magneto. Remember you can't use the old Star Trek films because those are a different timeline and non canon.

#20 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

They're very much canon.

It's an alternative timeline but the continuity comes straight out of the original series. They even have Leonard Nimoy in it playing Spock. This is the same version of Spock he played in the older Trek movies, in the TNG series and in the original series. The same events have not and will not happen in this movie series but that doesn't mean the rules of physics are different.

I will defer to Force's 60 megaton yield for a photon torpedo if someone can give me a source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users