Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

The Nineties by some random blog guy:

"

Hello again, and welcome to another installment of “Looking Back at Comics”! This week, we’re going to take a look at the 1990s. Everyone who was around during the 90s now looks back at the era through a lens of somewhat sheepish embarrassment; although it was easy to get caught up in the hype and excitement of an era that was all about flash and excess. Even the covers of the 90s were big and flashy: Comic books back then artificially raised their value through so-called “variant covers” that the company hyped as being worth more than the regular ones. Fortunately, modern comics have completely ditched the variant cover craze and…um…well, except…I mean, those are legitimately rarer! And they aren’t shiny!

But it wasn’t just the covers that made the 90s so ludicrous. Those fancy variant covers frequently adorned comics that had over-hyped “shock” storylines. Who can forget the so-called “Death of Superman”, a story that actually got play in regular newspapers because foolish reporters actually believed that the character was going to permanently die! Of course, less than two years later, Superman was back, but fans at the time treated the mock “death” as real and vehemently debated the merits of replacing him with a grim and gritty cyborg version of the character. Thankfully, we’d never see a grim and gritty cyborg character replacing an iconic American…um…let’s move on. Let’s just move on.

To the villains! Yes! That’s certainly an era where the 90s got downright silly! They loved nothing more than to make good guys go bad and villains reform, simply for the shock value of seeing them change sides! You’d get absurdities like Iron Man turning against the Avengers and Venom becoming a good guy…crap. The point is, we’ve learned from the 90s. Definitely.

Because we wouldn’t have such an excess of grim, dark, anti-heroes. Back in the 90s, it was almost de rigeur to have “grim and gritty” heroes show up like Darkhawk, Night Thrasher, and Lobo. Back then, they even had a “Dark Speedball” character! Of course, at least they were self-aware enough to make it a joke, instead of actually trying to sell the character as an actual deep and meaningful character moment. I mean, come the fuck on! “Penance”? Who were they thinking this would appeal to? Speedball fans who said to themselves, “Hey, I love Speedball, but he’s not enough of an emo prick!” Or perhaps comics fans who said, “I dunno, I really like emo pricks, but none of them have the name recognition that would make me take a chance on them!” …sorry, breaking character there. The point is, Dark Avengers, Dark Wolverine, Dark X-Men, and Dark Reign are entirely different from Force Works and X-Force. And X-Force is entirely different from X-Force, too. Just like Fantastic Force is different from Fantastic Force. Because it’s not the 90s anymore.

What changed to break comics out of the 90s mindset? The arrival of Joe Quesada, that’s what! Quesada put an end to the numberless spin-off titles that were diluting the brand identity of Marvel’s classic titles (like X-Factor, X-Force, et cetera) and ended the practice of frequent, pointless crossovers that was eroding reader loyalty. Without that, it’s doubtful that Marvel would have survived to hit the motherlode of movie adaptations that have become the company’s financial lifeline. Yes, Joe Quesada’s innovations ushered in an era of true greatness at Marvel.

I wonder if he remembers what they were…"

#22 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Let's see. we'll almost definitely have submissions from Deo, Psuedo, Nihlium, Kate Awesome, and Rookie. Bigballerju, myself, and perhaps Culwych, red_dragon, or I_Know_All will ante up for it as well.

Can't see less than 8 characters ending up in this.

I am INSULTED by the fact that I was not included in this list! Have I fell off that much! lol

Anyways, I might do this. I have no idea who Sollus is so I'll read up and see what I can whip up.

#23 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I just assumed you thought you were too high above us underlings to be included in this. Same reason Landon isn't on that list.

Same should be assumed by all not included. I totally didn't just ignore anyone here. Completely impossible.

#24 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

<_<

Aha, I kid. Unfortunately, I was never good enough to score any underlings. :(

#25 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Wally waxing poetic about Sollus and other characters from back in the (imaginary) day.

http://www.electricf.../?hl=wanderlust

#26 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Damn. Ivan was good at this. haha

#27 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

I’ve told him that his mind is a wonderful place.  There are certain FPLers that I go to (in other internet realms) when I need a boost of creativity.  He’s one.  His mind is such that if he didn’t understand something you said, it’s not particularly because he didn’t understand.  It’s more because he overstood it and overthought it and has to come back down two or three levels to get the simplicity of what you were really saying.  He's smart and creative, which is a great combination.  It's a Da Vinci combination.  I'm just judicious and creative or discerning and creative.

#28 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Gametime tomorrow folks.  Good luck on the killfloor.

#29 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Should be good. Got ideas flowing, good feeling. At least until I stat writing :P.

Best of luck everyone, look forward to what gets put up.

#30 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Game time guys.  You officially have seven days.  Remember, post in the CA if you'd like me to look it over first.  Or PM me, either way.

#31 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Seven days is a bit limited, no? 

#32 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Mmmm, considering I gave all the information needed at about 9 and 10 days (Two business weeks), I'd say no.  But we'll see how it turns out.  You might get to squeeze a little more time out of me if you need it, but if I make my numbers...

#33 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Is the 200 word limit absolute or is there a little wiggle room.

#34 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

No wiggle room. But it's easy. Write what you want first, then at the end go back and reduce unneeded words and sentences.

#35 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Shoot, over by 29 words. Time to start editing.

#36 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

We typically did them at 100 words per section. I figured I'd go easy on you n00bs.

#37 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Got my first entry snitches!!! Whoo!

#38 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Is everybody aware that the tournament storyline takes place in the 90's? So your character had to be around and established in the 90's. The grandfather is telling a story of how all these heroes arose after the death of Sollus which took place in 1990. The release of the video of Sollus took place in 2006. So up until that point, people loved him. Some people, like the grandpa crowd still love him after the release of the video.

Please feel free to ask me questions.

#39 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I wanna see a lot of characters whose names are two unrelated EXTREME things smashed together.

I wanna see a lot of BAD GIRLS who wear thongs and have giant swords that are dwarfed only by the size of their chests.

I wanna see former child heroes who grow up into gung-ho paramilitary psychos.

I wanna see people from harsh future realities come back to stop something that arrises out of Sollus' death.

I wanna see GUNS GUNS GUNS.

I wanna see monsters and demons and villains who are treated as heroes only because they fight monsters and demons and villains with more spikes and teeth and shit.

#40 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Got my first entry snitches!!! Whoo!

Wait... so we don't have to submit it to the database or we can pm it to you or...? I am confuddled.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users