treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

The Tournament

An elimination style tournament where the characters that are eligible move towards a final epic showdown.  The winner will be the quintessential Khazanian super-man.  He will be the guy that the Alpha’s call when things get hairy.  He will also be the new Sollus.

Requirements for Eligibility

• Characters must have a Flight Power (the ability to fly)
  • Characters must have Ultimate Strength or Body (Due to him being of Super Proportions equivalent to Sollus).  One or the other or both.
  • Word Limit: Each separate stat, bio, personality and powers section must be at or below 200 words
  • Characters must be in some way inspired or influenced by the original Sollus.  You can establish the characters origin anywhere or at any point in time after Sollus’ death during the 199X.  I will inject the character into the storyline once they are made.  He/She can be named anything (They can be named Sollus, Dr. Demetia and/or Captain Khazan for all I care).  Feel free to create villains as well.  They too could be the next Sollus of DEATH!

Rules of Engagement

• In this tournament, I am looking for 16 characters.  If I get 16, I will cut off the entries.  If I get less than 16, I may cut off at 8 or figure a rule for bye weeks.
  • The first round will not include set ups.  That means that at least 8 characters which will be defeated in the first round will not be included in the storyline. 
  • The following rounds will include short set ups that will expand in further rounds culminating in an epic throw down between the top two characters.  

Submission Deadline

6/14  to 6/2123 is your time to submit.  That gives you plenty of time to think of an idea, submit to CA if needed and submit to the FPL Database for competition.  Post your character to the CA first and I will tell you if it is ready based on the Requirements for Eligibility (See above).  Once you get approval from me, submit your character to the database where they will be moved to tournament positions.

Who is Sollus?

Sollus is a character created by FPL veteran, Ivan.  He is a member of the Jupiter League.  You can read much about him here.  Basically, he is the Khazanian version of Captain Marvel (thought I was going to say Superman?  Nope.  That’s Mr. Tempest).  Sollus’ sole powers were Strength, Durability, Flight and a little-known curative aura.  The Jupiter League was a no-nonsense super team that consisted of Blind Mike, the Solar Architect (Or Mike the Magician), Wanderlust Werewolf and many other classic FPL characters that have never seen the light of day in the database.  They were hard hitters and mostly fought gods and godzillas.  Sollus was the hardest of the hard hitters.  Second to none, Sollus was an impenetrable powerhouse.

Unfortunately, Sollus died prematurely in prison after the public decided that the team should pay for their many destructive conflicts and battles.  Sollus turned himself in and served his sentence only to be killed…  But, don’t let me ruin it.  Here, read this and let’s get started…

The Return of Korgos

“The disturbance began in the early evening.  Meanwhile all through the night, the police force has been working in conjunction with the Sentinels of Liberty and Justice to clear the city, keep the level of damage to a minimum and establish a perimeter.  For hours, the Alpha team has been trying desperately to stop the swath of violence being created by the monster known as Korgos, the Bronze Colossus.  A former enemy of Khazanian super-team, Jupiter League’s Sollus, the monster known as Korgos was thought defeated forever during the Rise of the Supermen.  As you can clearly see, this is not the case.

Shock and fear streamed through the hearts of man and superman alike when the media reports that Korgos had returned hit the feeds.  Reports had come in that local meteorologists picked up a huge blob on radar for a few minutes before the behemoth appeared.  Immediately upon his reemergence, the titan-like monstrosity went to work destroying the streets of Khazan as if he never left.  From his path of destruction, police have determined that the monster is indeed headed towards SLJ headquarters.  At this time, there is no clear determination what his motives are. 

Throughout the day, we have gathered reports from several members of the SLJ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporter: Tell us what you saw when you arrived at ground zero.

Catatonia: I was coming from the Spires, when I saw the devastation from above.  Smoke, fire and evacuations…  Then, there was this… this massive thing – a living statue.  It was humungous.  As we flew in, we weren’t given orders to engage in a serious fight with the thing, but to slow the beast down until the Alpha team could arrive.  I guess this is what Dayshift feels like.  When I leapt down, I heard a loud crack followed by an explosion.  The thing was leveling buildings like they were made of cardboard…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporter:  Do you know how then that the situation actually started?

C.C.: No, I have no idea.  When I arrived the thing had already leveled half of town.  I mean us, and when I say us, I mean almost every major Sentinel you can describe was throwing everything they had at this monster.  It wouldn’t go down.  Correction: It won’t go dow—

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A T.V. shut off.  An old man sat down in his chair and sighed to himself.  In his heart, he felt like they were doomed, but his hope fought the despair away.  He looked up at a plaque on the wall.  It was a Pulitzer Prize.  Near it were frames that held various articles written by him.  One read:  The Death of Sollus.  Rising from his seat again, he took the article down and observed it calmly.  He remembered the colossus known as Korgos.  He knew what it could do.  His face grimaced as he thought about the T.V. footage and remembered.  The monster was bigger than ever, stronger… but all of this seemed impossible.  Korgos was defeated by the Unknown Hero.  He can’t be back. 

“He can’t be back.” The old man mumbled aloud.

“Who can’t be back, Pop Pop?” a young child said.  Sitting at his grandfather’s feet, the child played with his cars aimlessly.  “That monster can’t be back?” the child asked.  “The SLJ will squash that monster.” He said.  The grandfather smiled meekly.   “I hope so.  I really hope so.” The grandfather’s face went grim.  The child immediately took notice.  His face became downtrodden too, “You think the SLJ will beat him, don’t you Pop Pop?  Don’t you?”  The grandfather looked down solemnly.  He grinned again, “Have I ever told you the story of the Death of Sollus and the Rise of the Supermen?”  The boy shook his head.  “Come here.  Hop on pop’s leg.  Let me tell you about one of the greatest heroes Khazan has ever known and the heroes that rose to protect Khazan after his death…”

The Death of Sollus

“You know I interviewed Sollus when he was in prison.  Did you know that?”  The child shook his head.  “Well I did.  I got that award for that interview.” He pointed at the Pulitzer on the mantle.  “Why was Sollus in jail?  I thought he was a hero?”  The man smiled.  “He was one of the best, but with great power comes great responsibility and Sollus was one of the most powerful.”  The boy glared, confused. 

The grandfather grinned.  “Well son, Sollus was a little too powerful.  He was so powerful that sometimes he neglected the little things.” 

“Like what?” the boy asked.  Grandfather laughed.

“Well, this was the kind of guy that could have a dip in a volcano and come out and towel off afterwards.”

“Whoa!”

“Yeah, he was the real deal.  That kid you like, what’s his name -the metal kid?”

“Steel Will!” the boy said excitedly.

“Yeah, Steel Will would’ve broken every bone in his hand punching Sollus.”

“Whoa!”

“So you see, without much need for self-preservation, Sollus didn’t really have a good sense of urgency when it came to saving lives.  He usually left it to guys like Mike the Magician to clean up after him.” The boy’s face went grave.

“You mean Blind Mike, the Solar Architect?” He asked.

“The very same.” Grandpa returned.

“Did people get hurt?” The boy asked.

“There are always going to be casualties in these kind of things, but the Jupiter League and Sollus in particular had a few more than people liked to see.”  At this statement, the boy’s face turned completely sad.  Grandfather smiled at the child’s empathy, “But Sollus was an honest fella.  When the politics came down on him, he did the right thing and turned himself over to the law.  He served his time—“

The grandfather stopped.  He frowned.  The grandson frowned too.  “I know Pop Pop.  I know.  Sollus died in prison.” (Read: Marcellus Dolorosa)  The grandfather nodded.  “Some nasty videos surfaced not too long ago about Sollus.”  The grandfather stopped and his frown grew ever larger.  The boy’s eyes were fixated on him.  “But don’t you worry about that.  Let me tell you about the heroes that rose to defend Khazan in Sollus’ parting.”  The grandson pulled in close and smiled brightly.

The Rise of the Supermen

“It happened back in 199X, on the eve of the 1st anniversary of the Death of Sollus.  Vigils were being held all across the world—” The grandfather stretched his arm out wide for emphasis.  “…and the former Jupiter League members were in attendance.  It was on this historic day that a group of former Sollus villains known as Poisonus, Multova, the Body Countess, Doctor Mentis and Korgos, the giant Bronze Colossus formed a new, deadly team.”  The grandson’s eyes grew wide.  “They attacked the vigil at the memorial statue of Sollus.  Korgos ripped the head clean off the statue and used it to attack the alumni Jupiter League.  You see son, Korgos was only known physical equal to Sollus next to Mr. Tempest.  This was no slouching living statue.  With Blind Mike off becoming the Solar Architect and Mr., Tempest out of commission, none of them stood a chance.

With their attentions split between saving lives and fighting this newly found team, the Jupiter League was beaten pretty badly.  It was a sad day.  The criminals took to attacking the people.”  Granddad stopped.  “Then the SLJ came in and saved the day?” the boy asked.  Granddad shook his head.  “It was a horrible time for the heroes, kiddo.  Wanderlust Werewolf was a contract hit man, Miss March was pregnant with BrainChild and nobody wanted any of those lunatic groups around like Street Justice or the Crew.  The League was on its own.  A riot broke out amongst the carnage as Doctor Mentis used his mind control to cause the crowd to go mad.  It was complete madness until they arrived…”

“Who?” the boy asked.

“The heroes that rose to replace and avenge Sollus… I’ll tell you about them.”     

That's all for now folks.  Get to submitting and the story will continue at tournament time.  Good luck.

#2 The Rookie

The Rookie

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

are there even 16 active fplers? not to be an ass or anything...

anyways I am working on something, and one of the characters could be involved in this, but I was hoping to sort of slow burn this time and really get things right, i will try to meet the deadline though

#3 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

According to votes at times.  We'll see what happens.  Again if not, I'll figure something out.  I always do.

Anyway, Sollus in the words of Ivan:

"In my opinion, almost everything you need can be inferred from Marcellus Dolorosa’s character sheet. After you read this, go back and read the Tactician description there, and maybe it will make more sense. What isn’t there only exists in the memories of a corrupt US Senator and a woman executed two decades ago. You’re essentially talking about events that occurred in 1990 (Sollus’s death) and 1992 (The Butcher Bengough raid.) Keep in mind that Youtube didn’t exist until 2006, and for me the public airing of that video is the most important capstone in the tragedy of Sollus’ death, because it ruins the iconography. Imagine seeing the Statue of Liberty’s hairy legs. Imagine hearing Morgan Freeman say something utterly inane and ignorant. Imagine finding out Batman is afraid of the dark. Better yet imagine learning that your boss drained everyone’s retirement accounts and gave himself a raise, or that priests everywhere have been molesting children and the Catholic Church has been actively working for years to cover it up. It’s that feeling of betrayal, that utter shattering of a positive image that really hits at the core of the Sollus experience for these characters. Maybe that can help shade the characterization."

For writings sake, Sollus' personality per Ivan:

"As Sollus developed for me, what became important was this absolute level-headed temperament. He was a kind of anti-Hulk in a way. Incapable of rage, utterly devoid of impulse, Sollus was this rock-solid character with a slightly naive view that being honest and being right were the same thing."

#4 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm so gonna get knocked out in round one of this. Oh well, I will be submitting my trainwreck by deadline.

#5 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds good and interesting. I'll submit a character for sure.

#6 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Let's see. we'll almost definitely have submissions from Deo, Psuedo, Nihlium, Kate Awesome, and Rookie. Bigballerju, myself, and perhaps Culwych, red_dragon, or I_Know_All will ante up for it as well.

Can't see less than 8 characters ending up in this.

#7 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Yeah Buddy! *ahem* It's time to get serious. The only problems I would have is (A)Sticking to the word limit. (B)Deciding on a character concept in time (I have a chest load of unfinished characters.), hopefully I'll make a top-notch hero or villain in the end. 

#8 Sincere Poet

Sincere Poet

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Must find time for this ! O.o

#9 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Let's see. we'll almost definitely have submissions from Deo, Psuedo, Nihlium, Kate Awesome, and Rookie. Bigballerju, myself, and perhaps Culwych, red_dragon, or I_Know_All will ante up for it as well.

Can't see less than 8 characters ending up in this.

Hey woah, careful volunteering other people, mate. I don't think I'm doing this. I don't have any ideas and I have no clue who Sollus is. I don't know him well enough to base a character on him.

#10 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hey woah, careful volunteering other people, mate. I don't think I'm doing this. I don't have any ideas and I have no clue who Sollus is. I don't know him well enough to base a character on him.

I did say "almost definitely" :P

But yeah, didn't mean to be volunteering anyone. That was just me throwing out names of who I thought the competition was gonna be. Honestly, I'm glad you won't be around to contend with. Now I just have to take care of the others...

#11 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'll post more about Sollus until the submission date.  Nobody really knows anything about him.  He exist in the mind of Ivan (until I post what he wrote me).  It's basically create a superman.  It is like the Create Captain Khazan tournament we had in the last version of FPL.  Just create a superman that is inspired by Sollus, whether for evil or good.  Again, I'll post more about him later.

#12 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm in Treach...you can count on that much :).

#13 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

I might be in the same boat as Pseudo on this one.

#14 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Here is near the entirety of what Ivan wrote, if you can't work with this, then you don't need to participate.

"He was physically a match for Mr. Tempest, although he lacked the full compliment of secondary powers. He was just super-strong and invulnerable, but both of those to the highest degree. (He could fly, but everyone in the Jupiter League could fly after a fashion, in a Legion Flight Ring kind of way, so it didn’t really matter that much.) He couldn’t control energy or break the sound barrier (although he was so strong that running at 200 mph, even with his large frame, was no problem if he was given the space to build up speed.) He couldn’t shoot atomic fire from his nostrils, or any of that stuff. He was just the strongest mofo in the world, the dude whose bare hands crush coal into diamond, diamonds into diamond dust, and diamond dust into graphene. This is the guy who jumps into an exploding volcano and walks away afterward. There’s this weird memory I have as a kid of my dad holding my arm at the Air Show. I tried to pull away and yanked him off balance a little. Even though he was much stronger than me, I realized then that my dad wasn’t infinitely strong, that I could pull back a little. Sollus is the opposite of that. There’s no give. If he grabs you and you pull back, his arm doesn’t move. Because he’s so strong, he never got mad in a fistfight, he never had to “Hulk out” and he never ever struck anyone in anger. That’s the core of the character, for me, and it means in a story you have to find emotional weight outside of rage to carry your hero through the story. Tempest was about doing the Right thing, in that Superman mold, which includes a lot of “gut feeling” and some irrational decision making. Sollus, by contrast, was about staying clear and making the rational decision.
I want to emphasize that his #1 power was his invulnerability. I came up with a ridiculous example of his strength in the last paragraph. I don’t know how to quantify his durability the same way. Steel Will would break bones in his hand if he hit Sollus in the jaw. Excepting some really specific wavelengths of X-Ray high in the spectrum (known as Hard X-Rays) he was utterly impermeable. His invulnerability was so absolute that it made him lack urgency in a crisis, on occasion. If an avalanche is falling on top of him, his only real incentive to move quickly is to avoid the minor hassle of digging himself out of it. Self-preservation wasn’t an innate instinct for the guy, which means he was half a beat behind when trying to protect innocents. In the SLJ, this was a problem that his teammates compensated for (Mike the Magician had an entire issue where he just followed Sollus around, cleaning up after his outrageously strong “good deeds.”) In the Jupiter League, which concerned itself with fighting gods and monsters with little regard for bystanders, his occasional accidental disregard for the safety of others went unchecked.
He had this other weird secondary power that probably won’t come up, it was a kind of aura- this soft white glow that extended about an inch from his skin, and it exerted a kind of minor calming, healing presence on anyone and anything it came into contact with. It’s not a profound power, but people who made contact tended to get the warm fuzzy feelings. It was originally poorly named, dubbed a “purity aura,” but it was later explained as a kind of palpable electrostatic charisma that had a lot of ill-defined effects in the comics, and fluctuated between being barely mentioned by some writers to being the reason for all his powers by others. At least one comic went so far as to suggest that he pissed holy water because of it. The power of this aura was described as being reflective of his own inner mental state at the time, but it’s kind of a lot of nonsense. It was used to, (among other things,) heal minor injuries, put people to sleep, turn an adult dinosaur back into an egg, filter air pollution, recharge an alien spaceship’s “flight rods,” and- because this is comic books- accidentally “infect” a batch of Red Cross blood donations to temporarily give people superpowers.
I’ve written some about his story in the Wally stuff as well as in Dolorosa’s sheet. Essentially, after the Jupiter League battled a sentient flood in Holland, the country tried to hold the heroes financially responsible in international criminal court for their wanton disregard for public safety and property damage, suggesting that the ends, while noble, don’t entirely justify the means, and that the League could be doing more to curtail the wholesale destruction of public and private property its fights had become known for (essentially, what, really, is the point of stopping Godzilla if you’ve still smashed Tokyo in the process?) The Jupiter League sensed a trap, so Sollus, being nigh-indestructible, volunteered to go sit in a cell for a few months as a demonstrative (largely meaningless) gesture that the League wasn’t arrogantly ignoring the laws of humanity.
During his time in prison, the psychotic Dr. Bea “The Butcher” Bengough, working with her staff (including the then-unknown Dolorosa,) used adaptive alien bowel parasites to research epigenetic triggers and generally torture the hell out of her patients. It is still unknown how the parasites were able to harm Sollus, but somehow Butcher Bengough and her assistants were able to exploit his unique physiology- initially by convincing him that, in spite of the pain, he needed to stick out the duration of his sentence, and later by somehow leveraging the parasites and his weakness to Hard X-Rays to dramatically reducing his physical abilities.
When his death was announced, the world was shocked, not so much by his death (he was in a dangerous profession, even for invulnerable people,) but by the manner in which he met his demise: of internal bleeding while in an Asylum, (where he had ironically been transferred because the authorities considered the accommodations to be more comfortable than prison.) Vigils were held across the globe, and the six remaining Jupiter League members vowed to honor his memory by, in typically arrogant superhero fashion, building monuments to fallen superheroes.
You asked about villains- Sollus had some early villains in his SLJ days- Korgos the giant Bronze Colossus was magically endowed with the abilities of Sollus, Wally Wolf, and Ghost Girl- in later issues he dropped the other powers and just became Sollus’ only known physical equal. Other than that, he mostly fought giant Godzilla monsters and mad gods, although in his miniseries he had characters who challenged him to use his powers in creative ways- Poisonus is a villain who mentally controls clouds of invisible poison gas, making him an extremely efficient assassin, and Multova the Body Countess is a body duplicating thief whose crimes originally involved fashion (usually jewelry) and who is legally married to the king of a small Eastern European nation, giving her a degree of diplomatic immunity in many circumstances."

#15 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Now that's more information than most character sheets. Good luck.

#16 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

You know, I figure what better way to make a comeback than to submit a new character into this contest. Count me in. Umm....where do I go to submit? It's been a while since I've been on here.

#17 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

http://www.electricf...fiction-and-rp/ Right here, MagnetRex

#18 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Welcome back Magnetrex.  Read the first post and have fun.  As for Deo, you've won more of these tournaments than anyone in the current FPL.  Don't go breaking streaks now.  This is why I told you not to create a Captain Khazan.  It was a long time coming, but now is the time.

#19 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Welcome back Magnetrex.  Read the first post and have fun.  As for Deo, you've won more of these tournaments than anyone in the current FPL.  Don't go breaking streaks now.  This is why I told you not to create a Captain Khazan.  It was a long time coming, but now is the time.

Thanks Treach, it is good to be back.

#20 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

A ‘Requite for Sollus’ Pro-Tip #1: Remember the event that your character is involved in takes place during 90’s.  Remember the comic scene of the nineties?  Big guns, everybody was gritty with a beard, hologram covers, boobs.  Excess was the thing in the nineties.  Your character can follow these trends or not.

A ‘Requite for Sollus’ Pro-Tip #2: Remember Khazan has a continuity thread which lets you know what was going on in Khazan at that time.  Not to mention Ivan’s publication history which I linked in the first topic that has an SLJ history.  So with what I’ve posted here and those two things, there is PLENTY to work with.

Lack of creativity is a horrible reason not to create on a creative writing forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users