10 replies to this topic

#1 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

A long time coming on the results for this Challenge.  People had Real Life™ to deal with though.  But finally, the results may be revealed.

xLEGACYx In First Place with a combined score of 9.5

Nova Force Nova in Second place with a combined score of 9.0

JohnnyChany in Third place with a combined score of 8.0

Congrats to xLEGACYx who takes home the prize for this challenge - a $100 Amazon Gift Certificate.

Complete results below:

From Ruinus

Sithisson:
4 out of 5
This was well written... but that whole Lovecraft angle just sorta appeared out of nowhere, I half expected it to only be Duncan vs the Death Star, or some sort of "The Empire that is using clones is the GE!" type of thing.

xLEGACYx:
5 out of 5
This is pretty well written except for the 4th paragraph, which seems to be an introductory paragaph all over again (the whole Cetanu AKA God of Death, oomans AKA Humans thing), which could have been removed entirely. But other than that it was fucking awesome. My favorite.

leroypowell3p.:
3 out of 5:
This one was sorta cool in it's idea, a huge mixup of different franchises (and I'm totally getting a JRPG vibe from the whole "A group of wacky heroes on a quest to find the X whatevers to stop a big evil!" from the plot,) but it was a bit too mixed up for my tastes.

deojusto:
3 out of 5

Yeah... This one was, in my opinion, not as good as his other stuff. It's not bad, really, but I just didn't find it funny, and it seemed as if it was attempting to be funny. And there's nothing really funny about Halo or Alien except Odd One Out (and that doesn't count) so it made it all the worse in my opinion.

JohnnyChanny:
4 out of 5

Actually, this one was pretty funny. xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.yJVH25T4ne.png

Nova Force Nova:
4 out of 5

This one is also wacky in the sense that it fits both universes, which is cool considering how horribly bad this entire thing could have gone.

From Culwych

xLEGACYx: Celtic Predator vs Wolverine: http://www.electricf...erine/?p=428910

A refreshing and well written little story here. As mentioned in the comments, the idea of Predator stalking its prey through the centuries is great. The sentence structure is basic but it suits the overall style of the match, building up towards a satisfying showdown. A good blend of characterisation (particularly for Cetanu), dialogue and description.

4.5/5

sithisson: Duncan Idaho vs The Death Star vs Shub-Niggurath: http://www.electricf...shub-niggurath/

Unfortunately I can’t help but feel that this entry overpromised. You have three great characters, all which can draw on amazing writing for reference and trying to put them all into the space of a short setup was always going to be difficult. 10 out of 10 for ambition but characterisation was lacking after the first part of the story.

3/5 

leroypowell3: Dylan Hunt and Andros and Hawkman (Katar Hol) vs. IG-88 and Fatality and Jango Fett: http://www.electricf...-fett/?p=428912

A strong recommendation given throughout all the monthly challenges is to avoid mid-arc stories, especially if you are starting with a concluding battle! That being said this is a very good entry with some good writing that flicks between description, dialogue and action.

3.5/5

deojusto: The Xenomorphs vs. The Covenant (Halo): http://www.electricf...-halo/?p=428924

An excellent entry and one that focusses more on witty dialogue than all out action as would be expected from the fighters involved.  Personally I would have liked to see a bit more action or horror, but this was different enough to make it into my top 3.

4/5

Nova Force Nova: Martians (Mars Attacks) vs. Killer Klowns From Outer Space: http://www.electricf...space/?p=428964

One of the best presented and easy to read entries I have actually seen in all the tournaments. The writing is succinct and flows well with the characterisation veering off into the bizarre yet somehow identifiable. I admittedly preferred the first half when the war was breaking out to the second half when the Klowns surrendered and it descended into a ping-pong match, but that did somehow add to the overall surreal nature of the story! An absolutely fantastic entry and my clear winner for this month’s tournament.

5/5

JohnnyChany: Hawkgirl (Shayera Hol) vs. Deathbird: http://www.electricf...l-vs-deathbird/

Wha…..I really was not expecting that when I saw the contestants. I have no idea who the people in this story are but nonetheless found myself enjoying this crazy appeal for a date. This was an enjoyable read and the quality of the writing gets this a high score.

4/5

#2 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks guys.  I feel honored to win when there were so many other good matches.

Congrats to Nova and JohnnyChanny too.

#3 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Congratulations bro. Internet High Five.

#4 sithisson

sithisson

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Awesome stuff all around. Eh at the most at least I have some of the stuff I looked over about the Death Star for later purposes! I can't wait to try once more into the fray.

#5 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Congratulations bro. Internet High Five.

Slap Hand!!

Thanks man!

#6 JohnnyChany

JohnnyChany

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I also want to extend my congratulations to xLegacyX and Nova. Some great entries all around.

Culwych, I can not recommend MST3K highly enough. I still watch episodes on Youtube.

#7 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hmm... only two judges this time around. If I had the time this past month, I may have volunteered to help out judging. 

But I digress. Congrats, xLEGAGYx! That was a great entry indeed, as were all of the others. Now all that needs to be done is to post the winning entry elsewhere...

#8 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Ugh! Black on black in the Hall of Fame!

AND THE OUTSTANDING SETUPS! NOOOOOOOOO!

#9 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

¿Que?

#10 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Look at it with the Light Skin...unless it's just me who has that issue. :/

#11 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ah, there we go. I had to press "Remove Format" after the copy/pastas. Should be good now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users