#2 Kate Awesome Is Awesome

Kate Awesome Is Awesome

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:I like animoo, vidja games, moobies, bewks

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Stomp of the century. Seriously how is Leto street level? Paul is FAR from Street Level (even within the way street level was defined for this draft) and Leto is MORE powerful than Paul!

#3 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

How, exactly, is Paul "FAR from street level", by the definitions given for the draft ?

The only actual power he has, is the ability to "see" current events, i.e. clairvoyance. 

The Weirding Way is just a method of low range teleportation, that is achieved through training. Likewise, the Prana-Bindu training, is just a method of controlling his own body. 

The only other thing that comes close to a "power" with Paul, is his ability to use The Voice.  And none of the above puts him anywhere near the limit of "street level".

You're right though, that Leto is more powerful in some ways. He is a kwisatz haderach like his father, and thus has the same clairvoyance, he is also "pre-born", having access to all of the memories of every single one of his ancestors(and the training that he has managed to get out of those memories, along with his sister). He also has the Sand-Trout, which makes him physically more powerful. But again, still nothing that puts him above "street level".

#4 Kate Awesome Is Awesome

Kate Awesome Is Awesome

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Pretty much a man who uses an unortodox and nigh unstoppable form of mind control (which is also partially audio in nature and thus gets around most mind control defenses that would exist in other universes) to me is beyond street level. If we're going to bitch over the fact that Zatanna can say "enog eb" and beat most of the people in this tournament, Paul who can just walk up to anyone and tell them to "eat your sword/gun/fist" and laugh while the kill themselves doing that to me is pushing these boundaries.

Now factor in the fact that Paul is a more than capable warrior (while Zatanna isn't) and yeah I stick by my assessment.

#5 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yea, except for the fact that that form of mind control, can only be used for simple commands.

Not to mention that you haven't accounted for the personality of the character, at all.

Despite there being plenty of times, where use of the Voice would have saved him(them) a ton of trouble, Paul and Leto only uses it 3 or 4 times, combined, over the course of 3 books(Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune).

Also, there are plenty of ways to protect oneself against the Voice, and it is possible to resist it.

#6 Kate Awesome Is Awesome

Kate Awesome Is Awesome

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'll concede on the personality issue, truthfully neither Paul nor Leto would just be cruising through a tournament like this tossing out mind commands.

I will argue, simple commands are all that are needed (ie. eat your own sword) to get a win.

Conversely while the Voice can be resisted those resistances seem to be predicated by the world of Dune itself and knowledge of the power's existence. Given the unorthodox nature of the Voice compared to mind control in other universes I'd argue few opponents, if any, in the draft tournament would be prepared for it with their basic gear/knowledge/skill sets.

#7 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I have to agree with Kate. Anyone with a Word of God level power is almost by implication of having an ability that could be defined as having 'of God' in it, not a street level. Plus 'kill yourself' is a pretty simple command, as is 'immediately quit this tournament' if said person was feeling merciful. 

And while I don't totally want to retread on this, my defense of picking Zatanna was that I didn't know any better, I was going by what her limitations were in the animated series I had watched.  

#8 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well, Zatanna has the same "limitation" as Paul and Leto, and a ton of other characters, namely her personality and standard operating procedure.

While she is very much capable of insta-takedowns, it's not something she generally uses, even in desperate situations.

Unless otherwise stated(bloodlusted, no morals, etc.) we have to account for the personality of the character as well.

While it's true, that she would likely use more effective means than we generally see her use in the comics, her personality still limits her quite a bit.

#9 UMPIRE

UMPIRE

The Ref

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:A fair match. Play ball!

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Match Final Results
Primeape: 8
Leto Atreides II: 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic