23 replies to this topic

#21 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

You are not getting it, no Star Wars Aluminium wouldn't be affected by Allomncy.  However Alomancy is known to affect every other metal it comess across.  I just explained to you why aluminum is the the way it is, it's because of it's own effect within the system.  These metals have no such affect know  I say again it's the only exception, why it's the exceptiom is explained but you seem to ignore that.  and just say we don't knw la la la la."  There's only one known exception, and it's because of allomantic power as I explained.  It is the exception to the rule so isn't burden of proof on you?  You're the one who is claiming an exception a rule, so convince me there's an exception here.  Just saying "we don't know it might not be affected", when the general rule except for one very specific exception is not a good argument.

A simple no would have sufficed.

No - I'm not ignoring that. You just said that Allomancy affects every metal it comes across. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that we do not know how the metal (i.e. Durasteel and the like) would be affected by Allomancy? The very reason is because Aluminum is an example of a possibility. Okay so it's one example of a metal with a specific effect. That alone isn't enough to dissuade the possibility of a similar effect occurring. It might not happen either of course. You claim SW's metals would have no such similar effect by the way. Okay, how do you know that? You don't. Do you also not realize that if Allomancy is indeed able to affect foreign metals outside its canon, it doesn't matter if properties aren't shared if we don't know what they will do in the first place. This is that point you do not appear to be getting. It might not appear to you as good enough an argument but in actuality it is - it's why it's ambiguous in the first friggin' place. Beside one could make the claim that attempting to use the general rule as to why it would work would not be considered a good argument given the other argument. :)

I'm not the one who claimed the metal would be affected in the first place. :) Besides I've clarified what I've said several times now. -.-

#22 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Your entire argument, can be summed up with "Allomancy can affect all metals in the mistborn universe, thus it can affect all metals, in every universe".

Which is, to be quite blunt, stupid.

Unless you have evidence of an allomantic user, travelling to a different universe, and their powers affecting the metals there, then it is entirely logical, to take the stance that since different universes have different rules for their powers, and in many cases for the laws of physics, their powers wouldn't affect them.

One line of reasoning could be that since in the mistborn universe, the various metals are magically charged, it is this charge that allows them to be affected, and since the metals in other universes don't have this charge, they wouldn't be affected.

#23 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Your entire argument, can be summed up with "Allomancy can affect all metals in the mistborn universe, thus it can affect all metals, in every universe".

Which is, to be quite blunt, stupid.

Unless you have evidence of an allomantic user, travelling to a different universe, and their powers affecting the metals there, then it is entirely logical, to take the stance that since different universes have different rules for their powers, and in many cases for the laws of physics, their powers wouldn't affect them.

One line of reasoning could be that since in the mistborn universe, the various metals are magically charged, it is this charge that allows them to be affected, and since the metals in other universes don't have this charge, they wouldn't be affected.

Except that I can pull out word of god that Allomancy will work on  other planets where it's not native, we know that it works on metals with Allomantic power, live silver.  Without abolute prof otherwise I'm going told to the general rule and leave it at that.

#24 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Except that I can pull out word of god that Allomancy will work on  other planets where it's not native

Other planets =/= other universes, since they are still in the same universe, they still fall under the same general rules.

#25 UMPIRE

UMPIRE

The Ref

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:A fair match. Play ball!

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Match Final Results
Jango Fett: 9
Vin: 24

0 user(s) are reading this topic