9 replies to this topic

#1 Abelincoln1865

Abelincoln1865

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I was reading some comics from the 80's involving Spider-Man which made me ask some interesting
questions about his knowledge of events in the Marvel Universe. First in Marvel Team-Up #150 He
encounters the X-Men. He had already met all of their members but at this point in time Rachel
Summers had just joined and it would have been impossible for him to have met her beforehand.
So when he and the X-Men fight the Juggernaut he doesn't at any point ask who this new member
is, why she looks like Jean Grey (who's original "death" he was never told about eitheir) etc etc. A
similar thing happened in Secret Wars with Rogue, but at least in that series there was plenty of time
for him to learn that stuff off-panel. Then in Fantastic Four #249-250 he encounters Gladiator and the
Fantastic Four don't seem to tell him at all about the Shi'ar and their encounters with the X-Men (which
the Fantastic Four did know about mind you) of course I myself can't remember what exactly happened
in those issues, maybe someone could kindly provide scans. This does raise a lot of questions though
doesn't it?

#2 Abelincoln1865

Abelincoln1865

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

No comments?

#3 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have no idea what you're saying and what questions are brought up.

#4 Abelincoln1865

Abelincoln1865

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sorry.

#5 Xenerack5

Xenerack5

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, tv, movies, the rest of the internet and cracking of the wise.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

He still doesn't know but to address what youre saying, a character knows as far as the writer has been paying attention.  

#6 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

But he's not asking about out of universe explanations, he's asking how Spiderman can keep up with events in the Marvel universe that he wasn't there to witness personally.

Not being a Marvel fan, the best bet that I can think of is that the X-men simply tell him. Or the superheroes share info with each other to keep each other up to date on what is happening in the world.

#7 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

In a random day of Spider-Man's life(or any other fictional character), we get to see... maybe a few hours.

In a case of Spider-Man working together with other characters, where the team-work is depicted as having lasted a few hours, maybe a day or two, we get to see... maybe a grand total of an hour or two.

Now, I know it's asking a lot, asking people to actually think, but try to consider, what actually happens during all the time that we don't see. What happens in-between the brief moments we are shown.

Once you start doing that, your answer will most likely appear on its own.

#8 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Methos is right.

Spiderman and Human Torch are close friends. Hell in a funny ass Spiderman and Human Torch comic after Johnny came back to life they were roommates for a short time. Off panel they probably hang out now and then to stay in touch. Human Torch I could imagine fills him in on what's been going on. Spiderman has teamed up with the X-Men multiple times and even with X-Force or X-Factor. More then likely Cyclops and the X-Men fill Spiderman in on what's going on before they ask him for help. They would never tell him to help out without knowing what he is getting into. In the Fantastic Four instance Spiderman probably visits them now and then. In X-Men's case they probably fill him in on the spot or before he joins. All either happen on or off the comic panel.

#9 Abelincoln1865

Abelincoln1865

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

In a random day of Spider-Man's life(or any other fictional character), we get to see... maybe a few hours.

In a case of Spider-Man working together with other characters, where the team-work is depicted as having lasted a few hours, maybe a day or two, we get to see... maybe a grand total of an hour or two.

Now, I know it's asking a lot, asking people to actually think, but try to consider, what actually happens during all the time that we don't see. What happens in-between the brief moments we are shown.

Once you start doing that, your answer will most likely appear on its own.

In the example I gave in Marvel Team-Up it couldn't have lasted more than a few minutes, because the X-Men showed up while Spiderman was fighting the Juggernaut and the police showed up afterwards. I think these specific examples are the ones that just bother me the most, so if someone who read Fantastic Four #249-250 could tell me what other the characters told Spiderman (or provide scans it would be most appreciated) I don't need scans for Marvel Team-Up #150 though, I already have some anyway

#10 badpierce

badpierce

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Football, xbox, Sci fi

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

I find it more puzzling when its the other way around. In Age of Ultron, Wolverene pretty much says he has never heard of the kree- skrull war. That war happened a long time ago and Logan has been on how many teams? No one talked about it during secret invasion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users