Photo
- - - - -

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

I decided to watch this again with an eye to assessing the powers of the characters in the series.

Episode 1:1

Starts with Iron Man destroying a gargantuan robot. Comparing Iron Man to the robot's head when he catches it, the head appears to be about 45' high, and the robot is about 7 heads high giving us a total height of 315'. It's hard to assess this because we don't know how Iron Man destroys the robot, but catching the head can give us an idea of his strength.

An average adult male human head is about 9.4" high * 8.5" deep * 6.5" wide. The robot's head is about 57.5 times as big along linear dimensions giving it roughly a volume of about 1620 cubic meters. Steel weighs 7874 kg per cubic meter so, if the robot's head was a solid block it would weigh 12,755,880 kg or 14,061 tons. Of course the robot's head isn't a solid block. For argument's sake we'll say the head is only 1/3 the weight of a block of steel. That's about 3500 tons that Iron Man catches while flying.

Iron Man's uni-beam disables the Hydra-mech after several seconds. We don't know how thick the mech's armor is but let's assume for a moment that it's equivalent to the armor belt of an Iowa-class battleship. That would be 12" of steel and Iron Man would need to generate more power than a 16" battleship gun to pierce it. Burning an 8" circular hole through 12" armor means vaporizing about 78 kg of steel. The best estimate I could find on line for vaporizing solid steel was 1964500 Joules/kg. That suggests the unibeam can generate at least 152.9 megaJoules of energy.

We should assume a slightly higher output because the beam not only cuts through the armor but also damages something inside the mech (the power generator?) enough to cause a disabling explosion. At a guess, let's call it 160 mJ.

Putting out this energy lasts 6 seconds and drops Iron Man's power level to 40%. This suggests the output is 26.67 megawatts and that he could maintain this output for a total of 10 seconds. It also means that his total power would be 267 megaJoules.

In the episode "The Fall of Asgard" Iron Man knocks out Ulik the Troll by releasing his full power in a uni-beam burst of approximately 1.5 sec. That's roughly equivalent to a 127 lbs of TNT or 15% of a typical lightning bolt, which seems much too low. I have probably underestimated the strength of the Hydra-mech armor and will have to see what further information subsequent episodes yield.

I should also note that in this world, the Grim Reaper is able to parry bullets (SHIELD blasters anyway) with his blade.

#2 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Episode 1:2

In the fight with the Wrecking Crew a lot of 40' truck containers are tossed around. These can weigh up to 33 tons loaded and at one point Thor bursts through a stack of 6 of them. Thunderball drops a container and the container crane hoisting it onto Thor. I have not found a weight for the crane which is an older and much smaller version than the Super-Post Panamax cranes currently used to load container ships.

It's hard to get a good size contrast shot for the frost giants. My best estimate based in the scene with Volstagg jumping on one's head is that they are about 80' tall. We can project the weight of a 6' 200 lb man blown up to this size. The giant is 15 times as tall and would be 15^3 or 3375 times as massive, so somewhere in the area of 340 tons. These giants are much stronger than even their great size would indicate. They throw roughly spherical boulders about 40-60' across a considerable distance.

The boulders aren't perfectly spherical so let's assume that the biggest are equal to a 45' diameter sphere. That's 3800 ton boulders these guys are lobbing. The distance can be estimated because the pole-vaulting giant takes 8 running steps before he vaults. That gives us a length of about 10 giant running strides. Assuming the strides are about 80% of the giant's height, the wall is about 720' from the giants. That means they're throwing the boulders a distance of about 8 times their heights. That's comparable to the Braemar stone putting records in the highland games where a stone of 20-26 lbs is used.

Let's we assume that a Highland Games champion who can fling a 25 lb stone a distance equal to 8 times his height can also lift 400 lbs over his head. We can extrapolate that a giant who can fling a 3800 ton rock a distance equal to 8 times his height can lift a weight of 60,800 tons over his head. The giants can give Thor a run for his money but he appears to be stronger than any of them. He may be in the 100,000 ton range.

#3 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Episode 1:3

Hulk and Absorbing Man are able to handle a fall of approximately 1 mile (the falling time is 17.5 seconds which would be by 4927' at 1 g acceleration.) They would have reached terminal velocity at about 200 mph. Hulk weighs about 1000 lbs and Creel 270 lbs in human form. In the scene, Creel is made of stainless steel which is 7.36 times as dense as human tissue so he would weigh 1986 lbs. The two hit with a combined kinetic energy of 5.414 megaJoules (the same as the explosion of just under 3 lbs of TNT.

I'm sure SHIELD uses different missiles than the US military but, for lack of better information, I'm going to go with the closest equivalents currently in military use. The first missile that hits Hulk and Creel looks to me like an AGM-114 Hellfire missile which has a 20 lb high explosive warhead. This is a33.32 megaJoules of energy, however this is likely a HEAT (High-Explosive Anti-Tank) round meaning the charge is shaped to use the Munroe effect to punch a hole through armor. The missile stuns the Hulk for several seconds but fails to produce a visible wound, suggesting his skin and muscle sheath are more durable than tank armor.

I've got no idea what kind of shell the funky Hulkbuster self-propelled guns are using but the smaller rockets the helicopter uses are likely Hydra 70s (warhead equivalent to 11.5 kbs TNT) and what looks like a 30-mm M230E1 Chain Gun. This appears to sting the hulk but causes no real damage (a similar weapon had the same effect on Superman in Superman: TAS.)

The big missile Ross fires may be a variant of a Tomahawk missile which has a conventional warhead equal to 1330 lbs of TNT or (if I did this right) 2.78 gigaJoules, which is nearly twice the energy of a typical lightning bolt.

The Hulk catches the falling SHIELD jet, which as a massive looking thing about 21 times as long as the Hulk is tall, which appears to be 8' in the Avengers group shot. This makes the plane 168' or a little longer. This might means it may have a similar weight to the 174' long Boeing C-17 Globemaster IIImilitary transport which weighs 141.5 tons unloaded.

The Widow stuns the Hulk with multiple bites. I'm not sure how to evaluate this except that: Hulk was worn down from fighting the Absorbing Man and the Hulkbusters, Hulk may be more vulnerable to electricity than to other forms of attack, and the Widow's bite must be very strong.

#4 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Episode 1:4 and 1:5

No significant new data observed but it was fun to see "Howlett" with Fury's Howling Commandos.

#5 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Episode 1:6

Graviton raises Manhattan Island into the air. Manhattan has a surface area of 22.96 square miles and (comparing width to depth) the chunk Graviton lifts is about 2.5 miles deep. That's about 57 cubic miles and would weigh 685,000,000,000 tons. The energy required to lift this would be 2.796×10^17 joules or the equivalent of an ongoing 66.7 megaton explosion.

When the island drops Thor tries to slow it. It is unclear whether he helps at all or whether it is the semi-concious Graviton (the island was falling pretty slowly before Thor caught it.) Thor doubtless made a difference but how large a difference is impossible to measure.

When Hulk tackles Graviton into the container farm, about 60 of the containers go flying. At least that's the number we can see through the dust. These can weigh up to 33 tons loaded. Let's assume that there are a total of 75 containers weighing an average of 25 tons each hurling through the air at an average speed of 100 mph. that would mean the Hulk just scattered about 1875 tons with an impact energy of 1.7 gigaJoules (equal to about 812 lbs of TNT.) Hulk creates a similar effect with another punch. The effect on the containers is ancillary so the punches themselves generate several times this much energy.

Iron Man hits Graviton with his uni-beam and slams him to the ground with enough force to create an impact crater about 30' across. That's ¾ the size of the crater Superman made slamming Darksied into the ground in the "world of cardboard" scene in JLU. If this is also ¾ the energy, then the unibeam does just under 12 GigaJoules. It does this over the course of 6 seconds for a total of 1.99 gigawatts.

Graviton creates a crater around the Hulk and half fills it with containers. By comparing the crater to the size of the containers on the bottom, I get a round shape about 750' across. If we call this a half-sphere that's half full of 40' containers weighing 25 tons each, that's between 500-600 thousand tons that Hulk bursts out of. This seems consistent to me with a Hulk who can lift about 100,000 tons normally who has visibly become stronger during the fight. This looks to me like he's about 5 times as strong as he was at first and this is the highest level of strength we see out of the Hulk in the series.

Wasp cuts one of the truck containers in half with her stings(!) This was a serious WTF moment for me. Before this her stingers at Wasp size seemed only powerful enough so give a grown a nasty sting. Also, they're bio-electric energy and shouldn't be able to make a laser-like cut like we see here. We'll have to see if this was a one time thing or if she does this again.

Graviton blocks Iron Man's uni-beam with a boulder about 090*30*24 feet that I estimate at about 5500 tons. If I'm right about the uni-beam output, Iron Man could have blasted through even that, but it would have taken a few seconds.

Giant Man grows to his (presumably) maximum size. I've previously estimated the frost giants at 80' and Hank is a little shorter when we see him next to them so I'll say 75'. That makes the container ship he lifts about 360'. The closest container ship I can find to this length and configuration is a 500 TEU feeder ship. It's one of the smallest container ships but still a pretty hefty thing to throw around at about 4000 tons unloaded. This ship appears to be partly loaded, but only partly. It holds a maximum of 500 containers but looks like it's only a quarter loaded, if that. That gives it another 3125 tons of heft for a total of 7125 tons. Hank at 75' is approximately 12.5 times his normal height so his mass would be right around 175 tons. This means his strength has increased to the point where he can lift more than 40 times his own weight. He tosses the ship (we don't see how far, but he is standing in the river and graviton is on the shore. Assuming for a moment that this is about 600' or 8 times Hank's height, it is comparable to the frost giant's boulder throwing feats in episode 1:2 and would give Hank a ifting capacity of 114,000 short tons.

This seems consistent with how well Hank did with the frost giants. It would make him slightly smaller but nearly twice as strong as them. It also fits with him knocking out the Abomination with one punch. At twice the Hulk's normal strength, Abomination is still quite a bit stronger than Hank, but they're close enough that a sucker punch could work.

Thor hits Graviton with a ridiculously big lightning blast that turns pretty much the whole docks area south of Brooklyn Heights into a crater. Based on Google Maps it looks like this crater is about a mile across. Using an interactive website http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ I estimated that it would take a 50-100 kiloton detonation to cause that kind of effect. (This is about 3-7 times the power of the Hiroshima bomb so how Thor didn't kill thousands of people in Lower Manhattan is anybody's guess :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users