40 replies to this topic

#21 sithisson

sithisson

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

In terms of the team options I think B sounds good. It''ll give a lot of ways to play it out in terms of team build and methods to the madness of match making.

#22 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

One thing about characters' win/loss records, though: While for various reasons, I could personally pretty much care less about them, there are some members that spent long stretches seriously (or not so much, heh) building these characters up, occasionally to the point of them making the CBUB Top Contenders' List. I'm not sure how many of those members are still attached to those characters and/or their records, but this may be something else to think about.

Oh, I see.  Yeah, well, I don't want to piss anybody off.  I think I've fulfilled my quota of that for awhile.

I'll just have to do something like put in separate "season" win/loss records I guess.

#23 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I like the idea of making teams.  Its sounds like a fresh and exciting way to bring in more members.  Its also becomes more of a competitive game that way.

As for the Grudge Matches that AVP was suggesting, a possible idea would be to let anyone submit detailed set-ups and have the admins collect the best and put out one a week.  Then if no new ones come in they would still have some on reserve.  Its just an idea.  Set a set minimum number of words it has to be.  Just an idea.  

I always enjoyed the two announcers setting up the fight ala Celebrity Deathmatch style.

#24 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Alright well, I haven't really heard anyone say...

"Fox, No, that sucks, it's a terrible terrible idea, DO NOT GO THERE"

So, I guess I'm gonna do that.  You can probably expect some CBUB downtime over the next few weeks while I make the changes.

#25 Culwych1

Culwych1

Official Match Board Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hey Fox, 

The changes do sound good, the only process issue I can see will be 'moderating' the Team Slot Option within the site. As Bergy_Berg pointed out, you just know there's going to be someone who goes against the grain and chooses a team of Cosmics anyway, or even a few people who just get it wrong. Making sure this is fair is always going to be the hardest point in this game. 

However, I completely am on board for a change - I've been meaning to suggest something for a while based on another thread that was kicking around here for a while about merging the Rumbles with the official matches. Whilst there are a few people here who write for the enjoyment of writing, that's not really what the CBUB was all those years ago and the criticism of new writers and their short setups does probably lose more visitors than it attracts. 

As long as the monthly challenge still stands and we still see some good writing then I'm happy! Looking forward to seeing the magic happen  :D

#26 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

The new idea/"game" sounds like a pretty good idea, especially for attracting new members.

Instead of replacing the current "game" with this new idea though, I would suggest moving the current "game", i.e. the matches rated for the quality of writing, to another board, that is not immediately accessible from the main site, kinda like how the Rumbles Board currently is.  That way, those members that take enjoyment in putting effort into writing elaborate matches, and seeing that effort rewarded in a high rating and positive feedback, don't get screwed over.

Also, the matches graded for quality of writing, is/can be a sort of stepping board towards joining the FPL.  In the few years I've been here, I've seen several members from the CBUB, go on to try their luck in the FPL.

Basically, don't replace the current system.  Just put a new system into place, and move the old/current system, to a less visible part of the site(i.e. not necessarily visible from the main site).

EF has, on various other forums/sites I've visited, a pretty good reputation, and a large part of that reputation, is a very high quality of writing.  I might be the only one, but I think it would be a shame to lose that.

#27 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Basically, don't replace the current system.  Just put a new system into place, and move the old/current system, to a less visible part of the site(i.e. not necessarily visible from the main site).

Ah, well that's easy enough to do I guess. 

We'll end up with, like, three match boards though.  "Fantasy Team Whatever", Rumbles and "High Quality Scenarios" boards.

Unless the graded matches get posted to the Rumbles, that is.

#28 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think I'd just replace the current 'official' rumbles, with the High Quality Scenarios.

With the new "game" there is not really any reason for those('official' rumbles).

#29 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

All good

#30 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think I'd just replace the current 'official' rumbles, with the High Quality Scenarios.

With the new "game" there is not really any reason for those('official' rumbles).

I mostly agree with you. I'm not sure if you mean that rumbles outside of the teams should be dumped entirely. I don't think that's a great idea, since not all the characters will be on teams, and I'd hate to come up with a fight and not have anywhere to put it where it will actually be seen.

#31 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

I agree that official rumbles can be dumped with the new game.

#32 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I mostly agree with you. I'm not sure if you mean that rumbles outside of the teams should be dumped entirely. I don't think that's a great idea, since not all the characters will be on teams, and I'd hate to come up with a fight and not have anywhere to put it where it will actually be seen.

Right now, we have three ways of creating a 'match'.

1. The official matches.  These are rated based on the quality of writing.

2. The "official" rumbles.  In the same place(in your control panel) where you create the official Matches, you can create a Rumble.  Essentially, a match, with a poll(people vote on who wins) that gets posted in the Rumbles board.

3. The "average" rumble.  I.e. simply creating a "new thread" in the Rumbles board.  These do not have polls automatically attached to them.

The official Rumbles can, with the new system that is being discussed, be scrapped, and the current official Matches, put in their place(i.e. the Rumbles board).  Since, if we want to create mindless rumbles, we still have the option of "Create New Topic" in the Rumbles Board.

#33 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

One thing about characters' win/loss records, though: While for various reasons, I could personally pretty much care less about them, there are some members that spent long stretches seriously (or not so much, heh) building these characters up, occasionally to the point of them making the CBUB Top Contenders' List. I'm not sure how many of those members are still attached to those characters and/or their records, but this may be something else to think about.

I think I am the only person. As a matter of fact, as far as I can remember I was the only person who had spent maybe six months to almost a year in building records for two characters.

Late response, I know but... Better late than never.

-Rakai'Thwei

#34 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Definitely agree with doing away with the Rumbles forum. That mechanic was just itching to make us too lazy for matches. And for the Issues... well you can't blame a guy for asking, right?

#35 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Well, the update is coming along.  It seems like it might turn out to be kinda of cool.

Thanks!

#36 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Ooooh, new look to the CBUB Main Page! Extended Top Match Creators and Top Contenders Lists as well!

#37 sithisson

sithisson

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

The change looks awesome! Can't wait for the teams thing to start up. Been working on a few ideas depending on the method to the madness of choice options.

#38 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Heck yeah. Still the third most matches made in modern CBUB history. I remember when I was popping out matches daily.

#39 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

The change looks awesome!

Thanks!  It looks pretty good on an iPhone, anyways.

#40 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I am hoping to release and start the First Season Open Draft this weekend.

I do think this is looking pretty cool on the development server.  But, you know, I guess we'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users