74 replies to this topic

#41 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Area Effect on a travel power could signify a character who can grand said power to people close to them, like a Green Lantern allowing others around him to fly by enveloping them in his energy stuff, So yeah, I think travel powers should keep the modifiers.

#42 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sure, AOE on travel powers.  No problem.

#43 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Area Effect shouldn't be allowed on most (all?) Travel powers. 

Does it really matter? I can't imagine anyone getting hung up on a teleporter having or not having area effect. It's less that it shouldn't be allowed, then that it's kind of pointless to have on there

Edit:

Area Effect on a travel power could signify a character who can grand said power to people close to them, like a Green Lantern allowing others around him to fly by enveloping them in his energy stuff, So yeah, I think travel powers should keep the modifiers.

Oh, that makes sense. That should totally be in there.

#44 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, modifiers on Travel powers can represent all sorts of things. Teleportation with Ranged could represent something similar to the guns from Portal. Enhanced Speed with a modifier could be a Haste spell you cast on other people. Elemental Surfing with Area Effect could be like Iceman creating an ice slide large enough for an entire team. I'm sure there are crazier and cooler combos than those that people'll come up with.

#45 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

At the very least, it's not like you're going to somehow "overpower" Travel options with modifiers any more than other powers.  As I see it the option simply encourages creativity, seeing what can be done and thinking of how to make it work.  AoE with a super jump for the stompy shockwave, teleportation and multi-attack to scramble the locations of multiple objects around the battlefield, etc.

#46 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hey, I want to finish up Development on the creator by this weekend, so if you guys have any more suggestions please put them out there.

You know how it is when I feel I've finished something and wander away from it.  Could be awhile before I get back to it.

Thanks!

#47 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

One question. Will we be able to use points to edit characters? Even characters from the previous incarnation.

#48 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

One question. Will we be able to use points to edit characters? Even characters from the previous incarnation.

Sorry, I will not be adding any Character Editing functionality at this time.

All existing Version 1 characters with over 3 Wins will probably get set to 2 wins and knocked out on the kill floor or progress.

If you want to update an existing 14 point Version 1 character, re-create it as a Version 2 character and send it to the kill floor.  The "Disable" button will be making a reappearance so you can disable a Version 1 character if you wish. 

#49 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I don't see any reason why Travel, or indeed any, power shouldn't have modifiers. It'll keep things broad.

So anyways, might I suggest Resurrection as a power?

Actually, I like having less but broader powers, but if there's one thing that we always seem to need to make combos for, it's Resurrection. Also, just throwing this out here... Can of Whoop Ass.

#50 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Resurrection would be a cool power. I was planning a character where energy body and poison was used to create resurrection but having an actual resurrection power would be nice. 

#51 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I don't see any reason why Travel, or indeed any, power shouldn't have modifiers. It'll keep things broad.

So anyways, might I suggest Resurrection as a power?

Actually, I like having less but broader powers, but if there's one thing that we always seem to need to make combos for, it's Resurrection. Also, just throwing this out here... Can of Whoop Ass.

Isn't Necromancy a thing? I know it used to be.

#52 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

For resurrection:  take necromancy maybe?  or ultimate rank Healing?

#53 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Oh snap, posted in the wrong thread.

Eh, I'm fine with no resurrection. We've been simulating it for years via other powers. I like the relatively lesser number of powers we have right now. It makes weaknesses more viable, but not overly so.

#54 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

The placement of things such as weaknesses and attributes is kind of an issue. Being forced to explain the weakness or attributes of a character before their powers can be a hindrance. I think someone mentioned the ability to choose where you wanted to place them.

#55 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Nah, it seems fine to explain Attributes (which are semi-powers now) up top. That's the natural way after all. And Weakness after that also makes sense, rather than having the big weakness hidden underneath all the Powers.

Does it interrupt the narrative? It depends on how you write the narrative. Which means we'll all have to adapt to this new scheme. I mean, the standard comic character bio's always been Attributes (such as first appearances, aliases, stats etc), followed by Background and then Abilities (Powers).

It's just that in our case, I assume Background comes first, since we're more about the story/character than the powers here at ye ol' FPL.

Besides, for 4 extra points, having to explain your weakness up front seems reasonable.

A question though, do weaknesses have any effect on the character sheet during battles? Like if I meet someone with the power I'm weak to, will there be changes to the sheet or would it simply be a discussion point during fight analysis?

#56 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hmm maybe it's just me.

#57 nrdman

nrdman

42*Pi*(Over 9000!)=My Sweetroll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

No, I agree with you Nihlium. I would appreciate the ability to choose which sections I write first.

#58 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Pro choice.

#59 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Aw man.  I don't want to have to code "choice".  *sigh*

#60 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

If its gonna cause problems I'm sure we'll make due.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users