74 replies to this topic

#21 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hmmm... is there any way that we could have it so that things like strength and endurance don't go first on a character sheet?

The character sheets for Version 2 characters hasn't been designed yet.  They will look a bit different.  But still, Attributes have to go somewhere.  Where is it that you would prefer those on the sheet?

#22 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Since attributes now have a spot to write a description, I actually want to be able to put attributes in the same way we can put powers in. Attributes at the beginning or end forces writers to really explain their character's intelligence or willpower in a certain spot, which could just end up seeming really out of place.

#23 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Only problem I spotted was that once you pick an origination there's no rechoosing. It doesn't let you move to a different radio button. ( I think they're called radio buttons). 

If it's not too hard. Would it be possible to implement custom ordering of powers? Just for story flow purposes. I feel like that would contribute a lot - like not having to take a Weakness up front and maybe only revealing it at the end of a sheet.

How would I sword? What if I wants a sword?

#24 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

How would I sword? What if I wants a sword?

You take Weapons Master at the appropriate level for the mix of skill and sharpness, and take no add-ons, unless you want your guy to throw it for ranged, or he's from Final Fantasy and it gets area effect.

Not being able to re-choose origination isn't a mistake, I think it's intentional. There's even footnote on that screen that tells you that you can't re-choose, just start again from scratch.    

#25 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Wait, I see sentient vehicle but not 'non-sentient' vehicle. If my dude has a cop car which is non sentient, do I use the same thing?  

#26 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Wait, I see sentient vehicle but not 'non-sentient' vehicle. If my dude has a cop car which is non sentient, do I use the same thing?  

Sure.  And if you want your Cop Car to help fight tack on the Minions power "Guardian".

But modern cop cars are somewhat sophisticated.  I mean, the Batmobile is given as an example in the Wiki for Sentient Vehicle.  Even just regular cars are getting more sophisticated all the time.  e.g. Google's self-driving car.

#27 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

It seems like according to the power Gadgetry you don't need Marksman. Would this be an adequate substitution for piercing weapon and Marksman?

Another view on Gadgetry. 

Take a Ghostbuster, for example.  A Ghostbuster has a nuclear powered proton accelerator strapped to his back but he is definitely not a Marksman (as seen in the movies).  Proton streams spew every which-a-way.

Use a high Agility stat and define it as being a dead shot (Marksman) and take Gadgetry as a weapon.

#28 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

So technically we could use gadgetry and name it as a gun or sword 

#29 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

So technically we could use gadgetry and name it as a gun or sword 

Sure, if it fits your character concept.  I mean, the end goal is to write an engaging character people like, really, and use the powers as a framework to express the character idea.

#30 Canis Minor

Canis Minor

That Guy Nobody Likes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy making a pest of myself. Also cartoons. But mostly the first thing.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

So... wait. I'm confused. Weapons Master is now the thing we choose for sword, etc.?

#31 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

So... wait. I'm confused. Weapons Master is now the thing we choose for sword, etc.?

Yeah, take Weapons Master.  The power implies that you are a master and that you have said weapon.  The power has advantages like Ranged Attack on it.

If you are a Dex fighter (knives, bows) take a high Agility.  If you are a bruiser (axes, clubs) take a high strength.

Well, anyways, that is one way to do it.  There are many roads one can take to framework a character.

#32 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Basically, you aren't spending double points to use a weapon anymore.

#33 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

This game is becoming a little too sophisticated for me apparently haha. So weapons master and Gadgetry is the same power basically? 

#34 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

This game is becoming a little too sophisticated for me apparently haha. So weapons master and Gadgetry is the same power basically? 

I don't see it that way myself, but I think you can get to the same ends with either. 

I mean, it depends on the character right?  If I was going to make Conan I would most certainly take weapon master over gadgetry.  Because a Conan is not a gadgetry... he's a big dude that uses a big sword.

If I was going to make Batman I might go with Gadgetry.

#35 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Kinda. The main difference I guess is gadgets don't necessarily need skill to use. A swordsmen would take Weapon Master while a thug with a knife might take gadgetry.

#36 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Okay, so if I want a gun weapon master would be better. I think once I get my mind around these new powers and definitions, this'll be really fun.

#37 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

A few problems with the 'you took power X, look it up on the wiki' feature during power selection:

*The displayed power prefers the wiki-name over the FPL-name; it should prefer the FPL name so it's clear which line goes with which power.

*It fails to clean up properly if I set the power category to 'no power' rather than the power itself.

#38 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

nevermind

#39 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

The character creator had a couple of bugs which have been resolved.  Thanks to MikeEB for pointing them out.

In the next couple days I will be making some modifications. 

- Decrease Travel Power costs

- allow advantages on Hand to Hand

- Add a couple more powers

If you plan on taking a Travel power or Hand-To-Hand you might want to wait.

And that should be that.

#40 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Area Effect shouldn't be allowed on most (all?) Travel powers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users