49 replies to this topic

#21 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Does that mean that in two months, if I realize there's a power I want that none of the listed powers covers, something can be added that makes sense for it?

Sure, as long as you can provide a link to a documented power in Wikia.  In the future I'm hoping to utilize Wikia's API to grab useful data (As I do now in the CBUB from Wikipedia).  Also I'm thinking I'll want to set-up an FPL Wiki on site here.

What about Green Thumb? That's a power effect that might not really be anywhere. 

I already added Plant Life as an Elemental / Nature power to the character builder, yep.

#22 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

I'm personally against Chi powers. It feels like a combination of a lot of other powers which can be taken one at a time. Any effect that Chi powers could give a guy are already covered.

Understandable, and I'm sure not everyone is going to agree with every power in there.  But the main thing is, whatever it is you are trying to create the character creator probably has you covered, and you can probably build a character in more than one way.

I do have my eye on making it easy for new FPL players to use and relate to.  And for a new player, Chi is shorthand for a couple of different things.  That makes it easy for a new player to get off the ground and get involved with a new character without having to work really had deciphering the inner meaning of of powers.

#23 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'm personally against Chi powers. It feels like a combination of a lot of other powers which can be taken one at a time. Any effect that Chi powers could give a guy are already covered.

BTW, there is also one other Very Important factoid to remember about "Chi" and other powers that seem like they can be developed from different powers, and that is the return of Kit Classes for characters (which replaces the Origination trivia).

Character of a certain Kit get to buy certain powers more cheaply.  And Chi is a Martial Power and Martial Powers are the category of powers the "Senshi Kit" spends less on.

For a Senshi Kit character to have to try and buy what Chi does out of the Elemental Category would be very expensive.

#24 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Very expensive or just normal-expensive?

#25 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Very expensive or just normal-expensive?

Powers outside your Kit powers cost at an interval of 3: 3,6,9 and finally 12 for Ultimate.

Powers inside your Kit powers cost at an interval of 2: 2,4,6 and 8 for Ultimate

You can conceivably take up to 10 points in Disadvantages so the maximum points a character could put into play on powers is 34.  And that's about what the "Cosmic" level characters could take in the just past version.

#26 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Powers outside your Kit powers cost at an interval of 3: 3,6,9 and finally 12 for Ultimate.

Powers inside your Kit powers cost at an interval of 2: 2,4,6 and 8 for Ultimate

You can conceivably take up to 10 points in Disadvantages so the maximum points a character could put into play on powers is 34.  And that's about what the "Cosmic" level characters could take in the just past version.

So without kit support the 24 points are effectively 16 current-points?

#27 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

That sort of seems to be the case. Of course, it would be kind of silly not to take advantage of the kits the majority of your power cost is in.

#28 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hey look, it's me.  *coughs dust and spiderwebs*

Looking at this talk of new powers and the return of kits, I'm reminded of something that often annoyed me in the old FPL.  It is possible I suggested it during one of its past continental shifts and was shot down for whatever reasons, but I wouldn't remember.  I figured I might as well propose it and/or be shot down again.  What I have in mind are Alignments; not moral ones, but physical, conceptual.  They would be a category much like kits, where you take one or none instead of spending points, for their own class of strengths and weaknesses.  It could potentially go alongside kits to add to face value diversity in characters.

Here's what I mean, exactly.  A character might take the "Ethereal" alignment, and as a non-solid entity be difficult to strike or harm with physical attacks, but more easily "burned up" or dispersed by energy attacks.  Someone with the "Mindless" alignment would be hard to effect with mental attacks, but be disadvantaged by its limited ability to think creatively or tactically.  These alignments would not directly alter powers or attributes, but would be a descriptionless factor (like kits) that are still relevant to how the character works.

I couldn't count how often I was annoyed at feeling obligated to take powers that seemed inherent to the character, so that some man-eating tree with a weak Mind stat because it had no mind at all wouldn't have to spend a fortune on mental defense or be disabled by a paltry mental attack when there is no mind to disable.  While I know the FPL is about the writing more than the powers, these powers are still used as a framework in both creation and in fiction/discussion between their interactions.  It's why we have them in the first place.  Frankly, many people do still at least acknowledge the powers if not keep them in mind while voting, and from a writer's standpoint, having to compensate for this felt like a choice between a narrative crutch and a gaping plot hole.  I wouldn't relish the thought of the godmodding scent that would inevitably hang over any "nuh-uh" responses to why disabling Treevil with a logical paradox is dumb.

Hopefully I'm not putting this in the wrong thread entirely, it seemed a bit more relevant than the general news thread.

#29 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

In the current 14 point system, if there were Ultimate powers (there aren't) you could buy 1 for 8 points and not have enough to buy another unless you took Attribute Disadvantages.

In the 24 point system you can buy 2 outside of your Kit without taking a disadvantage.  You can buy 3 inside your Kit without taking a disadvantage.

#30 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hey look, it's me.  *coughs dust and spiderwebs*

Looking at this talk of new powers and the return of kits, I'm reminded of something that often annoyed me in the old FPL. 

First off... wow, hey, it's Rhekarid!  Long time no see, hope all is well.

Yeah, I do know where you are coming from.  Kits do run you down a certain path.  But, until this last version the FPL always had Kits (or "Solvents") depending on the version.  This last time I left them out because some people suggested it and I went with it. 

I didn't really like it, so I'm going to use them again.  I do take suggestions (and I did take the No Kits one) but, you know, sometimes I just gotta be me and go with the design that feels right,

Also, I don't think that whole Immortal Character thing worked out either so the return of the Kill Floor and the three loss rule is back also.

#31 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Even with the higher number of points, creators are really going to need to map out their characters. It's not that points are scarce. Rather, there will be more parts to the story. I'm liking path so far It should be interesting to see how some people describe their Supreme level Strength to make it different from everyone else's Supreme level Strength. The points feel about right too. No one needs more than 3 god-like powers. coughsupermancough. And if you have a bunch of low level abilities, well that works too. Under this new system, you won't even need to use all 24 points. Now, watch as the 6-9 point character holds the Main Event Championship for two months.

#32 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yeah there's plenty of points.  I've played around with it and you can make a fine character which doesn't need to be all Ultimate god like powers.  Often they are kinda boring anyways unless the character story really sells it.

Another thing about Kits that I want is it helps a totally new player get rolling with a character concept.  Something that helps spark an idea and get them writing and involved.  It's a bit of a crutch that says "Here's a broad template you can work off of" and write a story about it.  Really, anything that helps a new player is something I'm going to peruse.

For the grizzled veterans I usually throw in something like the "Everyman Kit" (AKA the "I-Don't-Have-A-Solvent-Solvent") so they don't feel trapped by a Kit.  Probably I'll do the same here, although not in the first Creator release.

#33 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Is there any kind of release date for the new creator yet?

#34 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Is there any kind of release date for the new creator yet?

I was hoping to have it wrapped up tomorrow evening but we'll see.  Still got a lot of work to do, it's getting there tho. 

#35 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Woah, really? We'll have it for May? That's fantastic!

#36 nrdman

nrdman

42*Pi*(Over 9000!)=My Sweetroll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

A couple of power suggestions:

Weather Manip

Self-Sustenance

Replication

#37 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Self-Sustenance => nothing.  It doesn't help in a fight, so it's free.

Weather Manipulation => Weather Control was a power in the last version; it got lost for no apparent reason

Replication => Self-Dupliction was also a power.  Replicating other things is Creation.

#38 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

The closest thing to replication on there right now is creation.

#39 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

You can get weather manip with Wind and Electricity. Or maybe Guardian if you're getting your power from a weather god. 

#40 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Duplication allows you to replicate things other than yourself. It's not really creation, duplication is what you probably mean by replication but the lines blur 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users