15 replies to this topic

#1 leroypowell3

leroypowell3

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Now that Rumbles are right there on the home page, they get a lot more attention.

I'm wondering if maybe Rumble matches should go into the character's record. Everybody's not a writer and many people don't do official matches because they don't want to get berated with critisism.

There are a lot of good matchups that get scratched because judges simply forget to vote.

Rumbles are still shunned because they have no lasting value.

If they had some value to them, then maybe more people would stick around and we'd get more comments and votes and Electric Ferret would be the hugest site in all the internet! (well maybe not far...)

Any thoughts or arguments for or against?

#2 badpierce

badpierce

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Football, xbox, Sci fi

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

It would be cool if maybe they had their own win/loss record.

#3 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

At first I wasn't a particularly big fan of rumbles, but now I've grown to like them for being more about 'crossover awesomeness' than story. Story can always either make or break a crossover, but I believe that sometimes you don't need one for it to be good.

#4 Dark Spider-man

Dark Spider-man

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

For someone who writes matches I think that Rumbles shouldn't be added to the matches voting. 

I love the rumbles too so I think that if it's possible to have to separate votings.  One for matches and one for rumbles, so when it shows when you click on the character they have two slots, one for matches and one for rumbles showing both their wins and losses for matches and their win and losses for rumbles. 

#5 God-Speed_88

God-Speed_88

The Humanoid Typhoon

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

The way I see it is that the Rumbles section is more a What If type issue whereas the official battles are cannon within the CBUB world. 

#6 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

The way I see it is that the Rumbles section is more a What If type issue whereas the official battles are cannon within the CBUB world. 

If that were somehow true then I think there would be too many continuity problems to count.

#7 Xenerack5

Xenerack5

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, tv, movies, the rest of the internet and cracking of the wise.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yeah most of the database would have already been killed by Batman.

#8 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

I do not think so. That makes it that much easier to construct lazy stomp matches that will effect a characters record.

#9 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Personally, I can't see a reason why we can't have a separate list for rumble wins and losses.  

#10 Dark Spider-man

Dark Spider-man

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I agre with Shockwave.  If the rumbles has their own list then it won't effect the matches.  And the rumbles should't effect the GPA of the creators, if you guys can keep it to where the GPA isn't effected but the rumbles have their own category of voting and what not that doesn't effect the characters matches I say go for it.

#11 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

"I'm wondering if maybe Rumble matches should go into the character's record.

No, they shouldn't.

#12 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I don't think Rumbles should be on record.  As for why, that's very simple: It would undermine matches.  Think about it this way, Rumbles are absolutely free to make.  They cost nothing and there is absolutely no consequence for effort.  If the Rumbles start getting put on the records why would anyone want to spend points to make matches?  Matches with good enough set-ups go on the record, that's the incentive for spending the points for writing a good set-up, that these matches actually mean something.

If Rumbles start counting it boils down to this: There is no challenge left.  No Heaven to aspire to, no Hell to avoid.  Effort becomes meaningless.  That's why I think Rumbles shouldn't count.

#13 Dark Spider-man

Dark Spider-man

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I don't think Rumbles should be on record.  As for why, that's very simple: It would undermine matches.  Think about it this way, Rumbles are absolutely free to make.  They cost nothing and there is absolutely no consequence for effort.  If the Rumbles start getting put on the records why would anyone want to spend points to make matches?  Matches with good enough set-ups go on the record, that's the incentive for spending the points for writing a good set-up, that these matches' actually mean something.

If Rumbles start counting it boils down to this: There is no challenge left.  No Heaven to aspire to, no Hell to avoid.  Effort becomes meaningless.  That's why I I think Rumbles shouldn't count.

Very very good point.

#14 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't think Rumbles should be on record.  As for why, that's very simple: It would undermine matches.  Think about it this way, Rumbles are absolutely free to make.  They cost nothing and there is absolutely no consequence for effort.  If the Rumbles start getting put on the records why would anyone want to spend points to make matches?  Matches with good enough set-ups go on the record, that's the incentive for spending the points for writing a good set-up, that these matches actually mean something.

If Rumbles start counting it boils down to this: There is no challenge left.  No Heaven to aspire to, no Hell to avoid.  Effort becomes meaningless.  That's why I think Rumbles shouldn't count.

^Quoted for truth and agreement.

-Rakai'Thwei

#15 leroypowell3

leroypowell3

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well, I guess that settles that.

Since it's my thread, let me as another kind of related  question.

Multi-character matches (three on three's and stuff) Those suffer the same avoidance as rumbles because they don't count. Only this time, it costs you points to make them and you can get bad score if the set up isn't good.

I don't really see an easy way to make the multi-character matchs have some weight to them. If they just went into he characters records it would make it look really weird (for example- Pee Wee Herman beats Wolverine because he was partnered with The Beyonder).

But there should be some sort of record for the team ups.

Any opinions there?

#16 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

for the 2vs2 2vs1 and 3vs3 matches, personally I think we should split those up and have them be on their own as separate rankings.  It would have the same effect while still having weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users