90 replies to this topic

#81 Abelincoln1865

Abelincoln1865

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I love Rogue. Always has been a great character and is a better developed character then Ms.Marvel or I guess Captain Marvel now.

I'll give you that much, that's for sure

#82 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Not really. Her personality, ideals and backstory haven't received nearly the same amount of coverage as Marvel's, mainly because her solo series have all folded after less than a year in print, as opposed to Ms. Marvel's. Nowadays I find Rogue flat as a pancake myself, while the Captain Marvel series is pretty solid.

#83 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have read her series that Marvel has given her in the past and now. I became uninterested halfway through with all of them. I'm not being biased because in the past I tried giving that character a chance and ultimately it never works out. I really dislike the character and can't get into her.

I didn't do like one of these people and say I hate the character without reading her comics. I actually read the comics and tried giving her a fair chance.

So, you are aware of her problems with alcoholism?  That she got suspended from the Avengers due to that.

That she had split personalities(ms. marvel and carol danvers, was actually two distinct personalities at one point).

That The Brood considers her the greatest enemy to their race.

Doing, as you say, "like one of those people", and simply saying you hate her without reading the comics, would have been preemptive bias.  That you had already decided you disliked her.  That's not what we're talking about here.

What seems to be the case here, is that you read some boring comics with her, and lost interest.  And now, those boring comics is the only impression you have of her.

An equivalent would be if I read through the Iron Man comics, starting from Civil War, then proclaimed that there is nothing to Iron Man that makes him interesting.

In either case, it's bias.

You also seem to have a skewed impression of what "bias" is.  But that's a completely different discussion.

#84 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I find her to be a boring and uninteresting character who doesn't appeal to me. That's it and let's leave it at that. I'm not up to debating on this and it isn't a match where I need to. I have other things I am working on. Thank you.

#85 Darxeth

Darxeth

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

I dislike the Fantastic Four.
It's not that they aren't interesting, because they have some cool aspects about each of their characters, it's just I've never really enjoyed reading their comics, which is why I stopped. Heh.

Although I may have to read he whole Future Foundation thing.

#86 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

The Iron Man series during Civil War was actually extremely poignant and touching, I thought. After Civil War, eventually Fraction took over the character and that's one of the best runs in the character's history.

I really dislike modern Hulk. He took away all of the things I liked about the character. Also, Bruce Banner is a whiny bitch who seemingly has no idea where he's come from (not literally, in a character development sense) and what he's been through.

#87 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well there's a lot of eras to hate on a character. Post-52 Billy Batson, revival-One Year Later Supergirl, post-OMD Spider-Man (including Spider-Ock) among others.

However, the one character that always seems to rub me the wrong way is Batman, or in a lot of cases Bat-God. The guy that can take down the original Justice League with no prep whatsoever Bat-God. He is a complex character and he does have his moments outsmarting stronger foes, but if you constantly show people that only Bat-God can defeat a foe and not heroes that can move planets, move faster than light and screw with minds, you better make it pretty damn convincing. Because it either makes Batman like a Mary-Sue or the other heroes look like utter idiots. I've had the same gripe when Deathstroke took on the Justice League (Green Lantern going in to punch him? WTF?). Batman doesn't have to be omnipotent in order to be effective with a team of gods.

#88 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I've liked and disliked Ms. Marvel at different times in her career.

When she started out she seemed to me like a pointless rip-off of Captain Marvel (Mar-vell.) She appeared around the same time as She Hulk and the original Spider Woman. I didn't care for the trend of creating female versions of established male heroes.

However, Ms. Marvel was given to Chris Claremont who (at that time) was an excellent writer. He did a lot to develop Carol's personality and gave her quite a bit of depth. I ended out liking his run on the series quite a bit, especially after they gave her a new costume that helped distance her from Mar-Vell.

I liked her in the Wolfman/Perez run on the Avengers but she seemed to get lost in the big cast. When they did the whole Marcus Immortus/pregnancy storyline I was really pissed. Her teammates (and the writers) lust blew off the fact that she'd effectively been abducted and sexually abused and then went off to live happily ever after with her rapist. :angry: 

I didn't care for her connection to Rogue's backstory, but Rogue grew on me over time. I think the fact that Rogue was also one of Claremont's creations helped because he wrote the dynamic between between the two women in a way that let us sympathize with both. Since he left I haven't been a huge fan of either character.

#89 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

I love Chris Claremont's work. Great writer. Yeah I will give Ms.Marvel credit she had every reason to be pissed at the Avengers when she came back after being abducted. I love Shehulk as a character and she is probably in my top 3 favorite female superheroes. Her series in the 1980s where she broke the fourth wall for example was fun and entertaining.

Force are you reading the current Hulk series? The writing has been done very well and I love the idea of Hulk/Bruce Banner partnering up with Shield. Both sides of the character get what they want. Bruce Banner gets to be the great genius that he is as a scientist and Hulk gets to smash.

Those Ironman armors need a power decrease. I don't like Ironman getting that powerful. However his comics are great though I lost interest in the Godkiller arc.

#90 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Reading this thread makes me realize how it's really certain writers I like or dislike more than it is characters.

I was going to say that I dislike Tigra, but what I really dislike is the way some writers have treated her.

Tigra started out as a human superhero called the Cat. The original idea (which seemed more original at the time) was to have a sort of female Captain America, a heroine whose physical and non-physical skills (intuition, empathy) were boosted to the peak of human perfection. It was also the first comic about a woman to actually be created and written by women (Marie Severn and Linda Fite.)

I thought it was a cool idea, and liked the character. They didn't develop her personality that much with just a 4 issue run, but the little we saw was a smart, spunky, compassionate character who had always been taken care of by men trying to make it on her own. The series was feminist in tone (and feels pretty dated today) but wasn't particularly strident or loaded down with rhetoric. It was also graced by some sensual artwork. 

Claws of the Cat was cancelled and the character was revamped in a Werewolf by Night annual. Greer was given a magic amulet that transformed her into a human tigress, and soon she was trapped in that form. I didn't like the changes, but decided to give Tigra's series a chance. The series was a real surprise; it was written by Chris Claremont who (in his prime) was one of Marvel's bets writers for female characters. The are was uneven until John Byrne came on board. Unfortunately, this was too late to save the series. Claremont and Byrne did an excellent follow-up in an issue of Marvel Team Up,

Tigra pupped up here and there for a while and eventually landed in in West Coast Avengers where writer Steve Engelhart proceeded to turn her into a sex-toy for the male Avengers. Her original personality disappeared and she became a shallow character and an incompetent team member. The character who had been conceived as a woman with her full potential released was no longer happy unless she had a man's full attention. She was pathetic, and what made it worse was the way she derisively mentioned that she had used to be a "woman's libber."

Engelhart was a terrible writer who loved tended to scrap characterization in favor of over-convoluted plots. All of the characters in WCA suffered under him, but he almost seemed to be making a special effort to debase Tigra's character. When Byrne took over WCA he made a half-hearted effort to explain Tigra's changes by saying the feline side of her nature was starting to dominate. By then, though, the character had so much baggage I had trouble reading stories with her any longer. It's too bad. 

#91 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I did read the current Hulk series and it sucks asshole IMHO. This is not Hulk. Bruce Banner working for SHIELD flies in the face with so many things he learned about authority while on the run from the US. Bruce is a whiny bitch who wants to invent so he can be remembered like "Tony Stark and Reed Richards" and not because he wants actually wants to help anyone. It has no depth whatsoever, Hulk breaks a lot of stuff, and Bruce Banner is a dick of a scientist. Great. So interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users