force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

An interesting article I found.

Not necessarily true in every aspect in my opinion, but still an interesting one. What are some of your favorite science fiction universes as a whole, and why? What sci-fi universes do you think maybe have some potential, squandered or not? Keep in mind I'm not asking about characters or even plotlines specifically, but a universe as a whole as in it's history, culture/mix of cultures, potential to say something significant, etc.

#2 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Very interesting.

I think the Star Trek and Star Wars are some of my faves, though mass effect is pretty high up there too.

I really think we could see more of the Metroid universe than what we have seen. Another one is an animated movie called Titan AE there was obviously a lot to that universe than we got to see in the movie and i think it could have really been explored more. Unfortunately since the film is a bit obscure we won't get that chance.

#3 force_echo

force_echo

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Star Wars is honestly probably among the least favorite of mine. Star Trek's a bit higher on the scale, but not as much. The Fallout and Bioshock universes, I think, are amazing. It's interesting to see the development of universes along the video gaming medium as opposed to film and such, and I think video gaming universes are really blooming, and I think as of right now, overtaking original film universes in depth and quality. Again, this is just my opinion.

#4 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I hated Star Wars once it reached out past Episode 4-6 and Timothy Zahn. It got too big for me. I like the Harry Potter universe. Mmm, London.

#5 force_echo

force_echo

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

What's wrong with the prequels? I never got that.

#6 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Like that universe? Or the movies themselves? Honestly, there's nothing wrong with that universe, but by the time they came out, the universe was so gigantic, it was too big for me to want to keep up with it. The movies? What isn't wrong with them? Hayden Christiansen is a terrible actor in them and the dialogue of Episode 2 makes me want to shoot myself. Episode 3 is good, but 1 and 2 are just miserable.

#7 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

What's wrong with the prequels? I never got that.

Several things. Ep. I's entire opening act could be removed entirely. The movie would do much better simply starting on Tatooine, focusing on Anakin as he suddenly meets two Jedi and the Queen (and everyone else) running from a planet and heading to Coruscant. Not only would it completely remove the TF ship scene, the submarine scene, the giant fish scenes, Gungan City scenes (all of which are mostly irrelevant-you basically relearn the entire plot when you meet Anakin anyway "We are on our way to Coruscant"). Not only would it remove all that filler it would make it clear who the main character is. Ep. I suffers from the fact that there is no main char. It's certainly not Anakin with the little screen time he has, it could be Qui-Gonn or Obi-wan, (or both like those cop buddy movies) though if that's true both of them are really underdeveloped at that movie) it might be Queen Amidala (but not really?). Not only would it help cut filler and make the main char more evident (in this case I'm assuming it should be Anakin-in which case the movie should be changed to focus on him even more-or he's older or something) but it would echo Ep. IV with Anakin simply stumbling upon a much larger conflict in the same way Luke does-by people running from a giant menace and being stranded in the pit of the galaxy.

Since you are the thread maker you can decide whether this is on topic or not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Force Echo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users