Photo
- - - - -

A question about the DC/Marvel multiverses...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

What is the point of crossover earths? Let me explain that better. On various websites, they often state that when a crossover occurs, it creates an enitirely separate earth, but both universes then separate again soon after and everything is forgotten. What is the point of still numbering these universes as separate universes when the characters that inhabit them are the same as their mainstream incarnations? Take the Spider-Man vs Superman crossover for example. Is that the same Superman and Spider-Man fighting each other, or completely different versions of each other?

Same goes for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen universe. If it is a separate universe, which I guess makes a bit of sense, then I don't think it should be classed as part of the DC universe (Apparently it's labelled 'Earth-A'). I also don't really think movie or TV adaptations of characters should be part of their respected multiverse, because I think it just causes even more unnecesary confusion. It's this sort of stuff that really drives new readers away, not complicated backstories (though this can be a problem too).

#2 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

A wizard did it. http://tvtropes.org/...in/AWizardDidIt

I think the whole crossover universe thing is just to say, these are the real characters but this isn't cannon. Just take it at face value. Also, continuity is what they say continuity is, so if Spock giving Wolverine a death pinch is in there, it's in there. If that messes up the universe's continuity then perhaps you're just meant to enjoy the story and ignore the inherent continuity issues any crossover causes.

#3 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

The multiverses in both companies exist to show different takes on characters in the other universes. DC has always done a excellent job with their multiverse. The characters are not the same as there mainstream counterparts. Elseworlds from DC showed completely different takes on the mainstream DC characters that was awesome. Marvel's Ultimate Universe, Squadron Supreme, and Spidergirl (Spiderman's daughter) had different takes on the mainstream heroes for example as well.

I think your getting DC/Marvel crossovers and the actual multiverses they exist in confused. The only crossovers where the characters in other worlds are the same as the mainstream universes are DC/Marvel crossovers. Well whichever ones are canon though the only main one that's canon and the characters are the same is obviously JLA/Avengers.

However George Perez I remember said that the second Superman vs Spiderman he did was in fact canon for that time period on a good podcast I listen to called Views from the Longbox. For a great number of years from the 1970s to 1990s (Before DC vs Marvel Access) DC and Marvel had there characters existing in the same world. That means in those crossovers it was probably the same mainstream characters.

#4 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

I just think it takes away the point of a crossover. When someone says that it's not actually the real Wolverine Ryu is fighting, but a different version from a parallel universe. I prefer to think that the universes merge, then unmerge, erasing the crossover from canon. International Heroes I think explained it all a bit better. I mean, I can see that some Marvel/DC crossovers take place in parallel universes where DC and Marvel characters both exist and know each other, but actual crossovers like Marvel vs Capcom shouldn't count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users