• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've always been interested in Mars and it possibly supporting life. I found this interesting. Here are multiple links.

http://www.usatoday....n-mars/1982339/
http://www.nytimes.c...-says.html?_r=0
http://www.space.com...iosity-faq.html

#2 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

If Mars is 4.5 billion years old and slightly smaller than Earth, what happened to it and will it happen to Earth?

It's a possibility that this could lead to a new colony on Mars too, if they learn how to reanimate/restore the elements to support life and can adjust to make their own atmosphere to support life in the harsh environmental.

Hell, we might even get a real life Cowboy Bebop if technology continues to at least double every 18 months.

#3 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

They say we could terraform Mars. But that would take a buttload of money and resource.

#4 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

And that's what it all comes down to.

Actually, come to think of it, why not set up a jail up there for the worst of the worst people in the world? Make them survive all Gladiator style. That would be epic....and expensive...but still freaking epic!

#5 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

^^^That would be epic. But I would prefer to turn Mars into another Earth.

I mean the world is getting overpopulated. The good people should move to Mars while the cruel, greedy and evil should stay behind.

#6 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

Heh...Mars terraforming.
Posted Image

Could be another Earth.

Here's an interesting video also.

#7 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

I know you're just more than likely messing around but come on, Mars aint Australia where we can just slump criminals. Also, yeah let's play God and decide who lives and who dies on which planet. That'll work out well I'm sure.

#8 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I mean the world is getting overpopulated. The good people should move to Mars while the cruel, greedy and evil should stay behind.

How old are you?

#9 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

If Mars is 4.5 billion years old and slightly smaller than Earth, what happened to it and will it happen to Earth?

Going off of a documentary I once saw (and I will probably get some details wrong) what happened is that Mars didn't spin fast enough to make a magnetic field to protect it from solar wind and radiation, as well as giving a basic defense against small meteors. At some point a giant asteroid was caught in Mars' gravity well and started spinning around the red planet. This created a dynamo effect which temporarily gave Mars a magnetic field and, from what I remember, started the process of allowing Mars to have a suitable atmosphere...

... and then said asteroid hit Mars, completely blew up half of Mars (and I don't mean messed up the surface, the idea is that Mars was literally half a sphere for a while) and that was the end of the line for Mars' ideas of having life on it.*

*Well, except for whatever bacteria might have survived I guess.

#10 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I mean the world is getting overpopulated.

There was once some graphic made (can't remember by who) that showed that all of Earth's population could live on an area the size of Maine if we used really high population densities.

#11 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

How old are you?

Check the profile. -__-

#12 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

I know you're just more than likely messing around but come on, Mars aint Australia where we can just slump criminals. Also, yeah let's play God and decide who lives and who dies on which planet. That'll work out well I'm sure.

I don't know about Shockwaves point, but I just thought my point of view would make life easier. I know it wouldn't happen.

There was once some graphic made (can't remember by who) that showed that all of Earth's population could live on an area the size of Maine if we used really high population densities.

Interesting.

I just read in the future that the Earth's population would grow more and would get overpopulated. That's why I think it would be cool to try and make Mars another planet.

#13 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Interesting.

I just read in the future that the Earth's population would grow more and would get overpopulated. That's why I think it would be cool to try and make Mars another planet.

I wonder what they mean though. I mean, sure, at some point the Earth would get overpopulated... if we all decided to live in suburban type cities where everyone has a giant yard all to themselves. If we all lived in giant cities however, we could probably use less space. And then I wonder those predictions take into account places like, say, Africa. Do they mean "All the world is covered in city" or "All the world is covered in city except Africa, South America, some parts of Russia and Iceland because we don't wanna go there."

#14 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I wonder what they mean though. I mean, sure, at some point the Earth would get overpopulated... if we all decided to live in suburban type cities where everyone has a giant yard all to themselves. If we all lived in giant cities however, we could probably use less space. And then I wonder those predictions take into account places like, say, Africa. Do they mean "All the world is covered in city" or "All the world is covered in city except Africa, South America, some parts of Russia and Iceland because we don't wanna go there."

I think they must have meant that. I before the world wasn't even that populated early on, now look how populated it has become. I'm just saying if the world is becoming overpopulated then I think Mars would be a great place to move to. This is just my opinion.

#15 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Actually I was thinking more of Thunderdome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users