35 replies to this topic

#21 Dark Spider-man

Dark Spider-man

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Terrys suit can smash through the walls of the batcave, as demonstrated in the episode where it was possessed. I dont think Tommy ever displayed strength like that.
Also I have often wondered if power rangers strength feats were due to the suits or just the strange physics that govern the rangers universe. Case in point, air in space and the rangers fighting robots while unmorphed.
Although Terry has been overpowered by normal humans while in the suit but I blamed that on plot convenience.

Tommy did use a tree trunk like it was a staff to beat down a few puddies when he was the Green Ranger. Lol, that is the only thing I can remember in terms of showing off shear strength.

#22 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yea Tommy kicked it like it was a ball.

#23 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Perhaps Terry is a better martial artist, but it seems like the ranger suits amplify fighting ability in addition to increasing strength, speed, durability, etc. Plus, if the Dragon Dagger can knock down a giant monster with an energy blast, one good shot will K.O. Terry. The suit will protect him from any harm the batarangs could do.

Strength-Tommy Oliver (tree feat for the win)
Speed/Mobility-Batman Beyond, I think they're about equal in reflexes, but Terry's ability to fly could come into play while teleportation is virtually useless here.
Durability-Draw, not sure what the limits are on either of their suits
Versatility-Batman Beyond, the utility belt has a lot of different gadgets Terry could use to
Power-Tommy Oliver, he only has one main weapon, but damn, it's powerful. Lightning bolts, energy strikes, and activates his shield to redirect attacks. One good shot could win the fight for him.

#24 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

No they don't amplify fighting ability that's all from the actually person and Tommy later down the line in Power Rangers would be a better martial artist.

#25 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Considering that Billy originally couldn't fight off Putties without Morphing, I think the suits at least give them a working knowledge of martial arts. Also, they lose their fighting ability when they lose their powers. This isn't a one time thing, this is consistent. Although in Tommy's case, I agree that part is plot induced stupidity.

#26 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

Haven't seen you make a match for a good while, Blue Flame. Not bad for one admitting to be a bit rusty. Just watch for a few mistakes with grammar and punctuation, though.

As for the match, this is a tough one. Terry has the definite advantage in weapon versatility, but I think Tommy's weapons just may have the advantage in power. I'd actually argue that Tommy might have the slight edge in fighting skill. The point about Tommy being trained by Ninjor is moot, though, since he didn't actually receive that training until he became the White Ranger, and he's still the Green Ranger in this match. Strength seems to go to Tommy as well. Durability is probably a wash here. Terry is definitely more clever, though, and has fought and defeated smarter and more powerful opponents.

So, after a tough battle, I say Terry eventually wins due to being a bit more clever and having one the smartest minds in the DCAU, Bruce Wayne, in his ear scouting his foe and giving advice.

#27 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

I like the set-up. Good work, just, like others said, watch the technical stuff like grammar and spelling.

After giving the match some thought, I go with Terry. Tommy is more skilled in martial arts and has the more powerful weapon for sure. Stats wise, I'm going with too close to call. But Terry's advantage is that Tommy rarely deals with fights that aren't straight up fights. With Bruce is Terry's ear, and with all his steal and deception tactics, Terry's going to be able to pull off a win after a lengthy battle, full of hit run tactics.

#28 The Blue Flame

The Blue Flame

The King of Ninjas

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

Haven't seen you make a match for a good while, Blue Flame. Not bad for one admitting to be a bit rusty. Just watch for a few mistakes with grammar and punctuation, though.

As for the match, this is a tough one. Terry has the definite advantage in weapon versatility, but I think Tommy's weapons just may have the advantage in power. I'd actually argue that Tommy might have the slight edge in fighting skill. The point about Tommy being trained by Ninjor is moot, though, since he didn't actually receive that training until he became the White Ranger, and he's still the Green Ranger in this match. Strength seems to go to Tommy as well. Durability is probably a wash here. Terry is definitely more clever, though, and has fought and defeated smarter and more powerful opponents.

So, after a tough battle, I say Terry eventually wins due to being a bit more clever and having one the smartest minds in the DCAU, Bruce Wayne, in his ear scouting his foe and giving advice.

Thanks :D. And well about the Bruce thing during fights he doesn't really give advice much. I been watching Batman Beyond recently and am half way through the series, I don't remember him giving any if at all advice during Terry's fights.

#29 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Nice match up! Both are generally even matched. Is this while Tommy was evil?

#30 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Unsure but I do know KevinDWolf utilized the feat of Bridge the Green SPD's Ranger lifting a car (though he was struggling) and tossing it.

Granted that's sharing feats across the board but if this is evil Green Ranger... he's already boosted beyond the norm of the standard Ranger in that it's entirely plausible. :)

*shrugs* Trying to help pin down the strength.

#31 The Blue Flame

The Blue Flame

The King of Ninjas

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Nice match up! Both are generally even matched. Is this while Tommy was evil?

Yes and no. This is after that and his turned evil again, so his been a Ranger for awhile. It's just part of the plot, so I didn't bring it up, though I tried to make clear he was evil.

#32 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

And well about the Bruce thing during fights he doesn't really give advice much. I been watching Batman Beyond recently and am half way through the series, I don't remember him giving any if at all advice during Terry's fights.

Actually, Bruce did tend to give advice at times when Terry really struggled with an opponent.

#33 The Blue Flame

The Blue Flame

The King of Ninjas

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Actually, Bruce did tend to give advice at times when Terry really struggled with an opponent.

But not much in the first 1 and half seasons of the show.

#34 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

I give this one to Batman Beyond. The enhanced strength of the batsuit, it's protection, and various other abilities put it above Tommy's gear, and I feel Terry's training from the bat himself is superior. Terry could toss a couple of smokes and use his infrared for a quick win.

#35 The Blue Flame

The Blue Flame

The King of Ninjas

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

I would like to bring up just because his train by Bruce doesn't automatically make him more skilled than Tommy fighting skill wise. A person who has been training all his probably more skilled than Terry, even though his master is great doesn't again automatically make him as good as his master. Yes Bruce is the pretty much the best trainer you could ask for but Terry has said himself he sometimes leans to heavily on his suit. Also Terry more of a brawler than anything else with straight up fighting. Look to Tommy who has trained all his life, & his a super bad ass without the ranger suit even. It was dead even when him and Jason fought one on one in the high school tournament. He was even with a guy who fought Goldar without a power suit.

I know it's my fought but if you really think about it Tommy more likely the better straight up fighter hands down. Where the Bruce training really comes into play is with the other things besides straight up fighting, like deception tactics (Which are overrated a lil when it comes to Terry in my opinion), and most importantly is the thinker part of the training. Terry is a strategist when he needs to be and that's where he has a edge. That's Batman X factor, and Tommy's doesn't come into play because is not leading a team in the fight.

#36 Dark Spider-man

Dark Spider-man

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

I would like to bring up just because his train by Bruce doesn't automatically make him more skilled than Tommy fighting skill wise. A person who has been training all his probably more skilled than Terry, even though his master is great doesn't again automatically make him as good as his master. Yes Bruce is the pretty much the best trainer you could ask for but Terry has said himself he sometimes leans to heavily on his suit. Also Terry more of a brawler than anything else with straight up fighting. Look to Tommy who has trained all his life, & his a super bad ass without the ranger suit even. It was dead even when him and Jason fought one on one in the high school tournament. He was even with a guy who fought Goldar without a power suit.

I know it's my fought but if you really think about it Tommy more likely the better straight up fighter hands down. Where the Bruce training really comes into play is with the other things besides straight up fighting, like deception tactics (Which are overrated a lil when it comes to Terry in my opinion), and most importantly is the thinker part of the training. Terry is a strategist when he needs to be and that's where he has a edge. That's Batman X factor, and Tommy's doesn't come into play because is not leading a team in the fight.

Well said, sir. Well said.

#37 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Match Final Results
USER RATINGS
A
A
B Pretty decent intro, not a whole lot explained but given how everyone reacts I assume this isn't impossible in the context of the match. The action was solid, I could picture what was happening so points there. Hope to see an improvement for the next one.
C Okay setup could have been better.
SCORE
Tommy Oliver: 11
Batman Beyond: 23
FPA: 3.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users