• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Yep...The Almighty and powerful North Korea has threatened the USA with nukes.
http://www.reuters.c...E9260BR20130307

What ever should we do...? Are the North Koreans making empty threats or are they serious? Do they even have missiles capable of hitting even Hawaii? Who knows..?

#2 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

"Red Dawn" ... fictional story or cautionary tale of a possible dystopian future. Hmmm.

Seriously though, students of history will remember that Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev famously told the West "We will bury you" and that carried weight. People actually built personal fallout shelters in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Children in schools were scared witless repeatedly with "Nuclear Drills" in which they pretended to take shelter from nuclear blasts.

In light of all that, I find current threats very Meh worthy.

#3 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

"Red Dawn" ... fictional story or cautionary tale of a possible dystopian future. Hmmm.

Seriously though, students of history will remember that Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev famously told the West "We will bury you" and that carried weight. People actually built personal fallout shelters in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Children in schools were scared witless repeatedly with "Nuclear Drills" in which they pretended to take shelter from nuclear blasts.

The remake of that movie was bad.

#4 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

The remake of that movie was bad.

Truly. However, the important thing for us to remember is that somebody made good money writing that shit screenplay and there's no reason it could not have been any aspiring writer here. And I'd lay odds that many here could have produced a better script.

#5 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Don't usually respond to political stuff, but I found a different article about this event and the headline pretty much boiled this down to;

"UN plans to punish North Korea for it's last nuclear launch test, North Korea threatens to nuke the UN/US in response."

.....yeah I get the feeling one way or another N. K. isn't playing with a full deck.

@Fox: thanks for the compliment.

#6 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

North Korea needs to f**king stop acting stupid. I wonder what would they do if China told them we won't have your back if you go to war with the U.S?

#7 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Truly. However, the important thing for us to remember is that somebody made good money writing that shit screenplay and there's no reason it could not have been any aspiring writer here. And I'd lay odds that many here could have produced a better script.

Agreed. That movie felt like a Michael Bay movie.

#8 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Then you and I watched two different movies.

#9 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

North Korea is actually pathetically weak.

It's army while large is out dated and probably incapable of sustained engagement against the hugely superior South Korean army which will be reinforced heavily by the US and probably several other nations.

It can't feed itself without aid from hostile nations.

It's facing two of the largest and best equipped militaries in the world.

In a war it would lose and lose badly. It's the cost of beating it that has people worried. So I put this down to sabre rattling and nothing else. The North Koreans are not idiots they know better than anyone else how outclassed they are.

The allies don't fear defeat they fear a "victory" that leaves them responsible for sorting out the mess.

#10 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

^^^^Nice post.. Also I'm betting that USA intelligence will know instantly when North Korea begins the process of arming and firing missiles, and will take out their missile installations before they can be fired.

#11 ND7

ND7

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

I've heard conflicting views on how effective the KPA's missiles actually are. For instance, apparently only a certain number of their guns can hit the concentrated center of Seoul itself. Also, the artillery once it started firing would be spotted and destroyed by counter-battery strikes or from the air.

The real casualties would be found among the KPA, at least the units that don't surrender or desert.

As for nukes and missiles, first even if one nuke was used successfully it could only be used in landmine form, which probably wouldn't be effective. If a few nukes were used it would still only be a tripwire and there would probably be a sizable failure rate. As for SRBMs they are not really that effective, as the Iraqi SCUD strikes on Israel show, and the South has the ability to shoot them down.

#12 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Did you know... that the Red Dawn remake was originally supposed to feature the Chinese as the Antagonist... A Much more realistic Threat to the US and the West, as you know... They actually Are a threat currently, and will only escalate as they develop more advanced weapons and technology...

The Antagonists were changed to the North Koreans due to the film makers wanting to sell the movie in China... Thus, setting the Bad Guys as a target demographic would make the movie Bomb in china... nobody cares about North Korea though, and it's not as if they'd let such a movie over their border, so the decision was made to make Them the bad guys...

Technically speaking however, their Military isn't that much to be laughed at... they have the worlds Largest standing army, more then both China and Russia combined...

However, as has been repeatedly stated, they're Woefully inept and outdated... For an Army, they'd be Exceptionally Terrifying circa 1950...

However, considering modern technology, they're very much a laughing stock... Still though... if they could actually Put their numbers to use against a target such as the US, they could conceivably Zerg Rush us all to death before we could deploy our Substantially greater Technology against them.

#13 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

UPDATE...

USA claims they are FULLY capable of defending themselves against an North Korean nuclear strike. Those interested...Here are some links.
http://www.ndtv.com/...s-attack-339810
http://www.presstv.i...ail/292432.html
http://www.usatoday....strike/1971055/
http://www.washingto...676f_story.html

#14 ND7

ND7

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

China zerg-rushed the United Nation Forces in the Korean War and kicked their asses quite a bit. But, we eventually managed to push back until the ceasefire was agreed on IIRC. Also, China would disown North Korea if they EVER tried anything against the US because well their goes China's most important trading partner. Now I'm not saying China would be pleased with North Korea being occupied by South Koreans/Americans. Hell they might do a behind the scenes deal with America to get their own part of NK to occupy.

#15 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

US intelligence just released a picture of North Korea's new nuke. We should be very scared.
Posted Image

#16 ND7

ND7

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

The real kicker is that's not the great leader. But a cardboard cutout as any camera that takes a picture of the great leader without him wishing it so simply explodes with a flick of his wrist.

#17 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Isn't it funny though, that a country is threatening to use nukes and we are just sitting here laughing about it?

#18 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

So far I'm mostly worried about South Korea and Japan. Recent news state that North Korea are not capable of hitting mainland USA, BUT they are capable of hitting South Korea and possibly Japan. I hope these new and tougher sanctions ACTUALLY WORK.

#19 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

"North Korea can't hit America, but South Korea and Japan in range."
http://www.reuters.c...E92709T20130308

#20 ND7

ND7

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

You tend to be able to do that when you live in the strongest(military speaking)country on the planet:a fact of which I am proud. :) Also, I was thinking and when people mention China being able to 'beat' us in a war, taking nukes out of the equation, we'd be slaughtered if we tried to invade China's coasts, but we can sink their entire navy. Though that might let them use their secret weapon...

THE FLEET OF SWIMMING CHINESE MEN. They will invade America and crush us.

(Though, don't take me as an arrogant American. We won't always be the strongest but we'll always have a say.)

Edit: Yes, yes that's all fine and dandy but well, let's stop for a moment and think. I doubt there's anyone in North Korea's military command echelons who knows how well a War against the South would go. We all remember the footage from Operation Desert Storm, the Iraqi's hand an army from the 1970's and 80s (although vastly inflated in the press in terms of actual performance). The North Korean Army and Airforce are at best, from the late 60s. They have a dozen or so MiG-29's but these are the monkey versions the soviets stripped down to bare bones for export. Their main defence against aircraft and missiles is massed AA guns which are next to useless in a modern environment.

The threat to Seoul would be true if Seoul would obligingly move itself about 40 miles northwards towards the DMZ, then the artillery that can flatten the city would actually be in range rather than a more limited number of long range 7.1 inch artillery peices and some long range MRLS's. The Scud derivatives are a different matter but they are not accurate, they are not equipped with a 6000lb warhead that could level a city block in a blast.

If an offensive happened it might go something like this.

*day 1* Balloon goes up after negotiations fail, long range artillery begins shelling Seoul but is engaged by aircraft targetting the well known and documented artillery sites for the big guns. Rockets hit the city causing moderate damage where they hit.

At the DMZ North Korean artillery falls along the entire DMZ whilst massed infantry and tanks push over the borders. The troop tunnels provide some unexpected suprises but its a brute force attack.

US/South Korean Airstrikes begin targetting HARTs (the arty sites) supply routes (bridges, railroads etc) and the NKPLAAF (North Korean Peoples Liberation Army Airforce.)

*day 2 - Day 4* Artillery attacks continue against Seoul and the border along with rocket launches. Some rockets are intercepted by Patriot SAMs. North Korean forces continue to slowly press south against constant air attacks (US forces reinforced from Japan and Guam) and heavy South Korean/US/UN resistance.

NKPLAAF ceases to exist as a functioning force.

Day 5 - 9* North Korean forces on the ground bereft of air support and under attack are forced to halt offensive due to enemy resistance and lack of supplies reaching them. NK tanks ineffective against SK/US armour and unable to support their troops. First UN Troops arrive (UK/possibly Japan)

Day 10 onwards* North Korean forces that penetrated the border are bombed constantly, defences along the DMZ and HARTs are attacked by jets and destroyed by PGMs. US/South Korean/UN forces start preparing ground to push back NK troops. Airstrikes in North Korea have probably toppled every major bridge and destroyed many C3 sites in the capital.

By this point the North Koreans have lost the war.

That's just if they attack South Korea. Japan? IIRC we have a treaty promising to aid Japan in any conflicts they might have-even against China and with the JDSF, they can defend themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users