Photo

February 2013 Challenge Results! (Finally!)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yup, he try again and place better next time. That always cheered me up when I lost back in the day. Here's Nesh's score from me:

Technomancer of Nesh – 3.5
Tai Kamiya vs. Ryo Akiyama: I liked the star-crossed lovers thing. The different ages due to some weird dimensional whoo ha and the boy fighting the odds to be with her. I like that. I watched a little Digimon when it used to come on. I didn’t realize it was this deep. I felt like I was reading some romance comic, which I guess was the point. This one and Nova’s felt like I wasn’t reading a CBUB set up, but more walked into the middle of an actual fan-fic. Anywho, it was good. Better than average, but a little slow for my taste, but still above average.

P.S. I did not get around to scoring everyone. The other judges took care of this tourney. I love my moderators. They are great.

#22 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Guys, Nesh was totally bummed on #cbub about his placing in the tourney earlier. Any ideas on how to cheer him up?

Well... I'm going to recommend Mentos: The Freshmaker!
http://youtu.be/sdnJxDmJNmA

#23 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Heh, that actually sounds good right now.

And I was inspired by a few fan fics that I had read.

#24 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. My match basically was me writing fanfiction and cutting it off before the scene.

#25 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

All the set ups are basically fanfic anyway.

#26 Culwych1

Culwych1

Official Match Board Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Congrats to Nova for the win and to all the runners up and entrants to this month's challenge. Great to see so many people getting into this and writing - and remember that a low mark one month can still mean you win next month!

Here are my scores and comments:

1. xLEGACYx: Joker V Psylocke http://www.electricf...t=0#entry410642
A good setup that bridges the gap between love and madness. I would have bumped this score up a bit for a bit more background on why the Joker has a sudden infatuation with Psylocke - as the saying goes, there’s usually some method in the madness. The second pointer here is the overall layout; whilst the story flowed nicely the dialogue or notes interspersed throughout in bold did not. Overall though, a good entry and one that I actually wouldn’t mind a follow up to. Batsh*t crazy Joker for the win every time.
3.5/5

2. Nova Force Nova: Princess Azula VS Karara: http://www.electricf...t=0#entry410832
….. Where to begin with this match? The dedication and effort the author put into writing this clearly shows in the unfolding of the story and characters. I have never watched Avatar so don’t know the people involved, but I was drawn in nonetheless. Dialogue flows well and the structure of the story paces along just right, reaching its climactic conclusion where the battle occurs. This is what CBUB is all about - fans of characters creating a plausible and well scripted battle for the fighting to begin! Well done.
5/5

3. Bigballerju: Chucky VS Bella Swan http://www.electricf...t=0#entry411285
I like the setting of this (essentially anything is good with Chucky in it), but quite a few grammar and spelling errors found their way into this setup. A quick double check in Word would have helped clear these up. Also, compared to some of the other setups the link to the Challenge is tenuous at best; why would Chucky choose Bella as his bride? That being said, good horror element and the game of cat and mouse that you can imagine happening during the fight is a good one.
2.5/5

4. The Technomancer of Nesh: Tai Kamiya VS Ryo Akiyama http://www.electricf...t=0#entry411417
Wow - Some really disturbing insight into a show I’ve never watched which clearly reflects the effort you have put in. I like the dialogue and the flow of the story, but the build-up happened quite quickly and the climax happens out of nowhere (IMO). The dialogue between the Digimon is funny which adds that extra bit to the story so overall a good contender for top story.
4/5

5. Leroypowell3: David Palmer VS Mephisto http://www.electricf...t=0#entry411498
“Her attributes, more specifically, like Hershey’s Kisses.” Ha, epic! Great descriptions and dialogue that leads this tale of tempestuous temptation. However…. I can’t help but feel that a bit more explanation about why this is happening and the background behind this peculiar form of Faustian enticement. I mean… it would seem that Mephisto is tempting David towards something good, and despite “the road to hell” etc, it still doesn’t all tie up. Still, a good entry and look forward to more.
3.5/5

6. HulkSmashSpammers: Brian Griffin & Glen Quagmire VS Chris Hansenhttp://www.electricf...t=0#entry411570
Oookkkaayyy….. Not sure what I just read there but the humour deviated a bit from the normal Family Guy we can expect. Still, was quite funny and easy to read. Not much more I can actually comment on this really. LOL
2.5/5

7. Shockwave: Pit and Samus Aran vs. Tenchi Muyo! Cast and Tenchi Masakihttp://www.electricf...showtopic=30408
The usual recommendation of not using arcs in challenges stands as only the judges that have been following it will understand the background to the story. Style of writing is good and the story ties together (in a somewhat chaotic way) but image errors and some further explanation requirements brought the score down. I look forward to this writer’s stories with some more popular characters and more effort on presentation!
3/5

8. Xenerack5: Santa Claus VS Ares (Xena) http://www.electricf...showtopic=30418
Ha! What a good read. I am annoyed actually because this could have made a brilliant entry for this month’s challenge…but I cannot see how it fits the story requirement. At all! Sure it had Aphrodite in it, but that’s pretty much it. I would actually rate this is as one of the best entries, with dialogue and story flowing easily together and you didn’t really need to know the previous related story to pick up as the explanations were there. However, as this didn’t fit the challenge whereas others did:
3/5

9. Deojusto: Talia Al Ghul VS Catwoman http://www.electricf...t=0#entry412354
OK… we have a short, sweet setup that is in line with the challenge idea. I can’t really find any faults with this as the dialogue flows easily and the story is explained within the first couple of paragraphs. No glaring grammatical errors and the format is well designed. It ended on a high note with Harvey killing his guards which actually had me laugh out loud. Top entry and a contender for me.
4.5/5

10. Boratz: Deathstroke VS Ra’s Al Ghul http://www.electricf...showtopic=30433
No other entry epitomises the spirit behind this month’s challenge as much as this one did. Forbidden love, budding romance in Venice, a protective father and of course, bloodthirsty assassins! Loved it. Once again the writer demonstrates a keen eye for descriptions and characterisation and the dialogue is spot on. Of particular note is how each character feels throughout the story and Ra’s is kept well as a dark and sinister figure in the background throughout. Brilliant.
5/5

11. Darxeth: Spider-Man VS Sabretooth http://www.electricf...t=0#entry413027
A good setup with clear and concise writing. It’s a fairly plausible situation of good versus evil and I quite liked the contrasting views of “love” in the plot; Spidey’s calming and enlightening love for MJ and Victor’s love for, well, tearing women apart. A bit of a twist would have been interesting rather than straight up bad vs good but nonetheless a solid entry to this month’s contest.
4/5

12. Dinsdale Piranha: Hulk (70’s) VS Nightmare (Marvel) http://www.electricf...t=0#entry413375
Oooh, a nice twist on both the traditional setup and this month’s theme! So will the Hulk be able to use love to conquer his rage or will he succumb to his darker instincts and fall to Nightmare’s ploy. An enjoyable read with good writing and the dialogue flowed well. Also good highlight of Nightmare’s character which linked in well with the inner battles that Banner/Hulk face constantly. It is important to mash it up a bit to stand out in these Challenges and this entry did just that.
5/5

13. Ninjaman1848: Ryu Hayabusa vs. Taskmaster http://www.electricf...showtopic=30468
Unfortunately the first thing that stands out in the setup is the formatting which, with gigantic spacing, distracts the reader from the writing. Otherwise a good entry but which could have used a lot more description rather that simple dialogue. The story is straightforward with a slightly tenuous link to this month’s theme (i.e. family revenge vs love). Look forward to more detailed and fleshed out matches in the future.
3/5

14. Corvette1710: Bane vs. The Joker http://www.electricf...t=0#entry413493
Interesting setup with two of big bads of Gotham duking it out. Both story and writing are good with dialogue mostly in line with characters. There is a decent build up to the final showdown and reasonable explanations of the different plot scenarios. It just missed a top grade due to the high quality entries seen but this is definitely one to watch out for in the future.
3.5/5

15. Patrickthekid: Barnabas Collins vs. Elena Gilbert http://www.electricf...t=0#entry413625
Good entry with some funny moments interspersed throughout. Considering I know nothing about either character, the story kept me entertained anyway, especially when it came to Barnabas Collins. Dialogue was one of the best out of this month’s challenges with enough description throughout to give you a feel for what was going on. There could have been a bit more action and description but nonetheless a solid entry which stood up to February’s theme expectations.
4/5

#27 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Congrats Nova and Boratz, and everyone really. This was fun and I loved seeing what everybody came up with!

#28 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. My match basically was me writing fanfiction and cutting it off before the scene.

What scene?

#29 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

What scene?

The fight scene.

#30 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

All the set ups are basically fanfic anyway.

...but lacking a middle and end or just an end. I'm referring to a fully realized fanfic, but yeah. A few of these feel like you walked into the middle of something...something pretty good. This was probably one of the best crops of writings overall. I might start getting interested in throwing my hat in if this keeps up.

#31 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Oh damn...the February challenge group must have impressed treach pretty good if he's considering coming in.

#32 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've got ring rust. Tarvius said that everything I've written recently sucks compared to my old stuff, so...

#33 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Am I the only one who is wondering treacherous scores for all the matches?

#34 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

P.S. I did not get around to scoring everyone. The other judges took care of this tourney. I love my moderators. They are great.

^_^

#35 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

You win some you lose some. Goes to show how rusty I am. I may enter next time depending on time.
Anyways, congrats to the winners and all who posted.

#36 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

GRRR!

That face will not stand!

#37 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Am I the only one who is wondering treacherous scores for all the matches?

Nova answered that, but on the one's I did grade, there were a lot of Meh's. I think yours was okay. Kinda middle ground.

#38 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

This is what The Daddy Slack/Slack Daddy finished:

xLegacyx - 3.0
Joker vs. Psylocke: Pretty good. I like the sick love games the Joker played on Psylocke. If it were anybody but the Joker, I’d say they were overboard. It would’ve been cool if he wanted to replace Harley with Psylocke. I’m not so sure anybody would’ve walked into so sure of a trap without back-up, but whatever. Nitpicky, but when you’re double-checking (always double, triple, quadruple check your work), make sure you don’t use the same word twice in one sentence or different versions of it. (ex: “Realizing the clues in his words, realization struck Betsy.”) A bit picky, but it’s weird. Use a thesaurus when this happens if you can’t pull one from the brainum. Anyway, it’s cool if a little strange. Gotham suddenly ends up in New York. Gliders suddenly appearing from nowhere. Nitpicky stuff. It was cool.

Nova Force Nova – 5.0
Princess Azula vs. Katara: I am utterly impressed. This from Nova who has always come across as “just wanna troll”. I admit he knows his source material, or at least he knows It better than me (which isn’t hard because I didn’t watch many episodes of this). Well spaced out sentences and paragraphs and nice usage of italics to show thoughts. Good punctuation. All in all, I just say wow. Wow. I’m utterly impressed. It read like an episode of the show.

Bigballerju – 1.5
Chucky vs. Bella Swan: You have a lot of spelling errors. Bella’s cursing. I’ve seen the movies, she doesn’t curse. Kinda out of character. A lot of run on sentences. There is like no punctuation. That was a really not good thing you wrote there. You just set Bella up to die, plus it really had nothing to do with Valentine’s Day. I’m being generous with my scoring.

Technomancer of Nesh – 3.5
Tai Kamiya vs. Ryo Akiyama: I liked the star-crossed lovers thing. The different ages due to some weird dimensional whoo ha and the boy fighting the odds to be with her. I like that. I watched a little Digimon when it used to come on. I didn’t realize it was this deep. I felt like I was reading some romance comic, which I guess was the point. This one and Nova’s felt like I wasn’t reading a CBUB set up, but more walked into the middle of an actual fan-fic. Anywho, it was good. Better than average, but a little slow for my taste, but still above average.

LeroyPowell3 – 3.5
David Palmer vs. Mephisto: Short and sweet. Nice. Her body descriptions made me hungry. Was she made of food? Anyway, this was different. Pretty much a connect the dots of what I expected, but it was different in that it used such a real-life type of character as Palmer with such an over the top villain. Interesting.

HulkSmashSpammers – 1.5
Brian Griffin and Quagmire vs. Chris Hansen: Meh, kinda missed its mark on the challenge. No valentines. No love. A bit of other things though. I think I chuckled at something at one point. Can’t remember what. Most of it was on the mark for family guy, but the end was a bit over the top for even it. Meh.

Shockwave – 3.0
Pit and Samus Aran vs. Tenchi Muyo! Cast and Tenchi: It was okay. I felt thrown into something I didn’t really understand, but it stood alone well enough. You did enough background that it wasn’t too weird. Again, it wasn’t outstanding and it wasn’t horrible. It was just sorta…okay.

Xenarack5 – 3.5
Santa Claus vs. Ares: What? Some of these are just weird. This is one. But interesting. Santa trying to off himself, the monotheistic gods trying to make a comeback. I will say it’s interesting, to say the least. The grammatical aspect of it wasn’t great, but it was different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users