Photo

Aliens: Colonial Marines-- What Went Wrong?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

That indicates that AvP is in a different universe, not Prometheus. Prometheus is in the same universe as Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Resurrection.

And yet the Alien vs Predator films also bridge the Alien and Predator films--- meaning that those films are also set in the AVP universe.

Prometheus and PREDATORS not being a part of the AVP universe.

-Rakai'Thwei

#22 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Not necessarily. The AvP movies make little to no mention of the Alien and Predator respective franchises. And in those films only a single reference is to be found in the two, which was in Predator 2 with the alien skull. A single cameo reference doesn't mean they are necessarily connected, otherwise Mass Effect would share a universe with Halo.

#23 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Not necessarily. The AvP movies make little to no mention of the Alien and Predator respective franchises. And in those films only a single reference is to be found in the two, which was in Predator 2 with the alien skull. A single cameo reference doesn't mean they are necessarily connected, otherwise Mass Effect would share a universe with Halo.

Actually, the AvP movies are connected to the Alien and Predator films, especially with the expanded universe material and script drafts. I do know that Arnold was scheduled to appear in Alien vs Predator, but only if he lost the govenor's election back in 2004. Dutch Schaefer was even written for the ending of Alien vs Predator.

Also, Rebellion's Alien vs Predator 3 Audio Files even makes mention of the events of the Alien films such as the events of the Nostromo, Hadley's Hope, and Fury 161. Also, Audio Files from Karl Bishop Weyland do make mention of the Antarctica Expedition of 2004 by Charles Bishop Weyland.

-Rakai'Thwei

#24 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

What cameo did Halo make in Mass Effect?

As for what went wrong with this game? Sega. 'Nuff said.

#25 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Actually, it possibly might be considering that the AvP films indicate that Weyland Industries has been around since 2004, possibly longer before that and founded by Charles Bishop Weyland. Prometheus' timeline indicates that Weyland Industries/Weyland Corp was founded sometime in 2012 or 2014 and founded by Peter Weyland. The two timelines don't coincide with each other because of that particular detail right then and there. Also, considering the fact that Ridley Scott has said Prometheus has nothing to do with the AvP or Predator timelines/universes...

Really, it depends on which continuity you happen to follow in the Alien/Predator/AvP franchises. All three have different lores and alternate timelines.

What force_echo said, Prometheus is pretty solidly set in the Aliens universe.

#26 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

In Mass Effect 2, when you go through the Omega 4 Relay, the Pillar of Autumn can be seen among the wreckage. I heard that ships from Star Wars/Star Trek and others can also be seen but I've only personally seen the Autumn.

#27 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

What force_echo said, Prometheus is pretty solidly set in the Aliens universe.

I wasn't disproving what Echo was saying. However I am also saying that the Alien and Predator films are also set solidly in the Aliens vs Predator universe.

What I am saying is that in both universes, the ALIEN films essentially happened but their lore is simply different in some areas regarding those two universes.

By the way, I found the Audio Diaries from Rebellion's Alien vs Predator 3 game that make mention of Ellen Ripley's encounters with the Xenomorphs, and Charles Bishop Weyland's Antarctica expedition.

-Rakai'Thwei

#28 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Didn't Ridley Scott straight up say that Prometheus is an indirect prequel, as in it doesn't exactly follow canon? Either way, I liked it a lot more on the second time watching it. BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT CANON!

#29 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Didn't Ridley Scott straight up say that Prometheus is an indirect prequel, as in it doesn't exactly follow canon? Either way, I liked it a lot more on the second time watching it. BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A *vulgarity* ABOUT CANON!

I liked Prometheus for what it was.

Now we are just getting straight up side-tracked here... We're here to talk about ALIENS: Colonial Marines.. Not the overall continuties of Alien/Predator here.

As for what went wrong with this game? Sega. 'Nuff said.

Well.. It might not be SEGA's fault... It could be either Gearbox or TimeGate's. Either way, I direct you to:

http://www.destructo...s--244939.phtml

-Rakai'Thwei

#30 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Just because an alternate universe makes reference to historical canon before, doesn't mean it's not an alternate Universe. The Fallout Universe was exactly like history until after WWII. I guess Fallout is canon to real life then. Better start building your bomb shelters everybody, the Reds are coming!

#31 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

I loved Section 8 =D

#32 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

You are dangeriously close to making a Freudian mistake there Jaeger.

#33 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I know :ph34r:

#34 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Aaaaaand the thread is derailed....

I think discussion about Aliens: Colonial Marines is essentially finished here...

-Rakai'Thwei

#35 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Don't act like your sad. That game sucked, why keep talking about how it sucked?

#36 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Aaaaaand the thread is derailed....

I think discussion about Aliens: Colonial Marines is essentially finished here...

-Rakai'Thwei

You already made your point...

#37 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

It was derailed the second you got into a discussion about continuity.

#38 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

It was derailed the second you got into a discussion about continuity.

Which wasn't intended but someone had brought it up and there we went.

Just because an alternate universe makes reference to historical canon before, doesn't mean it's not an alternate Universe.

Are you implying that the events of Predator, Predator 2, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection haven't happened in the AvP universe and that the six films aren't canon with the AVP Universe? I just want to ask for the sake of clarity of what you're trying to say here. I mean the Audio Diaries recorded by Karl Bishop Weyland suggest that they do.

-Rakai'Thwei

#39 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Honestly though, this thread would have run out of stuff to stay on topic with quick, not because it's a lame thread or anything against you Rakai, but because at this point we've got literally nothing official to go on. It's all heresay going off of Reddit posts from people who claim to be devs. Until Gearbox, SEGA or TimeGate say anything official, we can't really discuss more beyond speculation.

#40 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'm saying that AvP is a different universe from the Alien movies. We know for a fact that Prometheus is canon with the alien movies, and if it contradicts AvP, then it's just further evidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users