• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

John Carter, armed with a pair of Martian swords

vs

Scar, armed with his wrist-blades and combi-staff

They are fighting to the death in an arena on Mars. Their respective morals are on. They know nothing of each other prior to the fight. Neither of them is wearing any armour, just clothes. There will be no outside interference.

Opinions?

#2 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

there's really no difference here.

John was a boss due to being physically superior to the entities on Mars... and Mars buffed him...

A Yautja would garner the same to an extreme degree dwarfing Carter. :) Carter gets Pwned.

#3 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

The boosts Carter receives from Mars' lower gravity will be in effect for Scar as well, and he's already naturally far stronger, so he wins easily.

Edit: Ethan, have I ever told you that you're a ninja *vulgarity*? :)

#4 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

A Yautja would garner the same to an extreme degree dwarfing Carter. Carter gets Pwned.

Pretty much this...

And considering that Scar more than likely is somewhere between Class 2 - 3 in strength... Which is the average for a Young Blooded Yautja.. On Barsoom, his natural strength would be insanely buffed. And considering how fast the Yautja move and how high they can leap on their own on Earth... Yeah, you might as well have put Carter against the Hulk on Earth.

-Rakai'Thwei

#5 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Pfft Mars Buffed Yaujta still be jelly of Hulk

DON'T BE JELLY OF MY SHINOBI WRATH AvP

#6 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Pfft Mars Buffed Yaujta still be jelly of Hulk

Any Yautja would be jealous of Hulk... Except for Super Predator... No, I'm not kidding.. There is a Kryptonian-Yautja hybrid out there.

-Rakai'Thwei

Attached Files

#7 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Pfft, Cap. Universe Hulk can take that bitch.

#8 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Pfft, Cap. Universe Hulk can take that bitch.

Shut up and keep on stuffing your pasty face with donuts!! :angry:

-Rakai'Thwei

#9 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

...How did you know I was eating crunchy donuts?

Mind you, first time in monthhhhhhhhhhhhhhs. :D

Posted Image <----- FTW

#10 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

So, what if Scar wasn't affected by the gravity?

#11 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

So, what if Scar wasn't affected by the gravity?

You can't just say Scar is not affected by the gravity. Scientifically, gravity does not work that way.

Not unless you want to pull the "A Wizard Did It" card which is... a cheap cop-out.

-Rakai'Thwei

#12 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think he wants Carter at his level against a standard pred is what he's going for.

#13 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think he wants Carter at his level against a standard pred is what he's going for.

Oh, I know which is fine and dandy but.. gravity doesn't work like that.

While I have seen the John Carter movie... considering that he was a roughly athletic male in conditioning... Could we maybe get some calculations here for his strength on what his level would be on Barsoom and compare it to a non-buffed Scar?

I mean assuming Carter is an athletic level male, he'd be able to maybe lift... twice his body weight at Max.

I mean I know that on Barsoom, he would be experiencing what would be called Exaggerated Muscle Output because of the difference in gravitional forces between Earth and Barsoom.

-Rakai'Thwei

#14 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

You can't just say Scar is not affected by the gravity. Scientifically, gravity does not work that way.

Not unless you want to pull the "A Wizard Did It" card which is... a cheap cop-out.

-Rakai'Thwei

This is the Rumbles section of a website that pits fictional characters against each other in fights. Don't bring up science.

Yes, exactly. Enhanced John vs normal Scar.

#15 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Don't bring up science.

Actually, Science DOES have a place here considering the fact what is enhancing Carter is the fact that Barsoom/Mars has a significantly less stronger gravitational pull on Earth. What makes John Carter so strong is that he has spent all of his life on planet Earth, which has a stronger gravitational pull than Mars.. So really, what he's experiencing is something called exaggerated muscle output.

http://yarchive.net/..._tolerance.html

It's nothing mystical, and it's nothing really out of the realm of impossibility.

-Rakai'Thwei

#16 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

STOP NITPICKING AND DEBATE THE TOPIC AT HAND

#17 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Actually, Science DOES have a place here

No. This is sceptical fiction. Brining up real-world science is useless and irrelevant, so don't criticize people for not using it, but brining up the science within the fictitious realms being discussed is useful and relevant, of course.

#18 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Can we get calculations for Carter's strength on Barsoom?

Assuming that Carter is a man who is in athletic shape and conditioning (not Peak Human), I'm going to assume he's more than capable of lifting his own weight or double his own weight if he had to really try.

No. This is sceptical fiction. Brining up real-world science is useless and irrelevant, so don't criticize people for not using it, but brining up the science within the fictitious realms being discussed is useful and relevant, of course.

You do realize that Science-Fiction DOES use elements of... you guessed it.. Science.

-Rakai'Thwei

#19 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

ou do realize that Science-Fiction DOES use elements of... you guessed it.. Science.

Of course, and a lot of fiction, too. Science fiction makes up it's own science, that's why it's science fiction. The science of our world is not relevant. The science of the John Carter film is.

#20 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Of course, and a lot of fiction, too. Science fiction makes up it's own science, that's why it's science fiction. The science of our world is not relevant. The science of the John Carter film is.

Actually, real life science kind of is relevent in most science-fiction. Primary examples would be Star Wars, Star Trek, Space Odyssey 2001, Alien, Predator...

The science of the John Carter film is.

Okay.... You've established that this is the film version...

Now... let's get Mars' gravitational pull here...

Mars' gravitational pull is 3.7m/s^2(3.7 meters per second squared) as opposed to Earth's gravitational pull which is 9.81m/s^2(9.81 meters per second squared).

Now... I am not a physicist or a mathematician but to me that sounds like a fair difference in gravitational pull, no? I do know that on the Moon, humans weighed significantly less and they were able to leap higher and do things which were considered superhuman when compared to Earth... However, I also had to look up Carter's strength but no real definition was given. Except for one source which only gives off an implication that he was able to leap up to thirty feet. Of course, that was DC's publicized adaptation of John Carter of Mars.

Now the Barsoom Wiki states that the Book version was able to leap to one hundred fifty feet. However we have to keep in mind that at the time The Barsoom series was being written, not much of Mars was known as extensively as we know it today.

So... we would need to calculate John's weight for a man who is 6''2 in height and in athletic condition and do the math with Mars' gravitational pull for the movie version.

-Rakai'Thwei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users