Photo

9 Students Arrested After Food Fight

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: 9 Students Arrested After Food Fight (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Were the punishments too harsh overall?

1. Yes (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. No (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Burrito (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2K4B5r400

At least nine students have been pulled out of school and sent to the slammer for their alleged role in a huge food fight - and there may be others.
The mealtime melee erupted on Friday at Ola High School in McDonough, Georgia, with numerous students tossing food items at each other during lunch.
The food fight had reportedly been planned for weeks, and when school officials got wind of it, they made an announcement before lunch, warning students not to go through with it.

But they did anyway, with disastrous results.

One student was injured during the cafeteria-wide scuffle, though not seriously.

Aftermath photos obtained by WXIA-TV showed food splattered across the floor of the cafeteria.
Each of the five non-minor of the students were charged with disruption of public school.
Courtney Striplin, Jimmy Dobson and Devin Graziani, all 17, were also charged with inciting a riot.

Nathan Brunnert, 17, was charged with failure to disperse, and Whitney Camp, 18, was charged with obstruction and possession of marijuana.

The other four arrested students are juveniles, and were not identified.

Additional arrests may be possible after school officials watch surveillance footage of the incident.

Some students decried the arrests as too harsh a punishment for a high school prank.
Ola student Breanna Silver told WXIA-TV: 'I think they went a little too overboard with charging. They could've done like suspension or something.'

While many students have dismissed the food fight as a prank, the school's leaders say that this is no laughing matter.

Henry County Schools spokesman J.D. Hardin told WXIA-TV: If you went out anywhere else in public and did this you would face a similar consequence.'

He added: 'We don’t want our students to participate in this.School is supposed to be a fun learning environment.'

My former stomping grounds. I knew a few of these jokers. I wanted to see what you guys thought of the punishments and all. Too harsh? Or perfectly justified?

#2 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hmm.. I thought a food fight was, like, detention? Can't help but think this is a result of all the school shootings as of late, and things that used to be tolerable, are no longer being tolerated. Still, jailtime for a food fight? That just sounds silly to me.

#3 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

They wouldn't have taken it so seriously if a student got injured. That changed things and forced them to to take it seriously. Each state and city is different with it's laws. If your gone act stupid be prepared for the aftermath. However I remember when I was in High School and people pulled pranks the most they would get is suspended from school. However nobody got hurt though.

#4 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

A random food fight would feel a bit innocent. However, this one that's been mentioned was staged, and with injured people to boot. I'm thinking that may have also been the reason this food fight was taken more seriously.

#5 The Lord Dragon Reborn

The Lord Dragon Reborn

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:XBOX 360, SCIENCE FICTION NOVELS/MOVIES, FOOTBALL, AND NONREALITY TV SHOWS

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I would have to agree with Rob, the incident was ill timed. With all of the shootings as of late the school officials hands were pretty much tied here. Anything could have happened during the chaos of the food fight and they have to think of the safety of the kids. That being said, I do think that a criminal charges might be taking it just a little too far.

#6 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

We don't know the rules or laws in whatever city in Georgia this took place. All states are different in how they approach certain things.

#7 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

The fact that it's Sheriff's Office taking the lead on all of this explains a lot. Just saying.

#8 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

What I find funny is the school knew it was going to happen and didn't do anything but give a announcement. You mean to tell me they didn't think to take extra precautions to keep it from happening? It's the school's fault too since they knew ahead of time.

#9 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

What I find funny is the school knew it was going to happen and didn't do anything but give a announcement. You mean to tell me they didn't think to take extra precautions to keep it from happening? It's the school's fault too since they knew ahead of time.

...What exactly do you expect them to do? Post armed guards in the cafeteria?

#10 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well being that schools are suppose to have school security guards in the cafeteria monitoring things I would say yea. School guards obviously aren't armed with guns but you put enough in there and then give another announcement before lunch begins that that there will be consequences if the food fight happens and then name some of the punishments they wouldn't have done it.

The kids thought they could do it and at the most they would be suspended. If the school told them the police would get in involved if a massive food fight happened then they wouldn't have done it. The school is the one that obviously called the cops so they already knew what they were going to do if anything happened. The girl even said in the video they didn't think anyone would get arrested and have something on there record now.

Actually it's common sense if you do something as major as that the police will get involved. Most schools are like that because when you start doing things like that your messing with school property.

#11 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well being that schools are suppose to have school security guards in the cafeteria monitoring things I would say yea. School guards obviously aren't armed with guns but you put enough in there and then give another announcement before lunch begins that that there will be consequences if the food fight happens and then name some of the punishments they wouldn't have done it.

The kids thought they could do it and at the most they would be suspended. If the school told them the police would get in involved if a massive food fight happened then they wouldn't have done it. The school is the one that obviously called the cops so they already knew what they were going to do if anything happened. The girl even said in the video they didn't think anyone would get arrested and have something on there record now.

Actually it's common sense if you do something as major as that the police will get involved. Most schools are like that because when you start doing things like that your messing with school property.

Doesn't work like that here.

#12 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I vote burrito.

#13 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield