#41 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Sarcastic or no, what Stranglehold-prime just did there perfectly illustrates why I don't particularly care to join the CBUB Battles discussions anymore.

What Stranglehold Prime did was illustrate why I stay in the forums.

#42 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

Now the Characters I ahte is DBZ characters.

Why! WHY!!!

They are ruining CBUB.

People think they can beat anyone.

DBZ is unrealistic and whack and it is for little kids.

"Oh my good I'm Goku and I can bust a planet" grow UP!

They talk the whole show then they fight for 1 minute then fight again. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can beat you, ahhhhhhhhhhhh" They say Ahhhhhhhhh all the time like the have to go to the bathroom.LOL

I think every Anime is over DBZ.

Naruto is the best Anime.

DBz is on the lower part of the food chain. :P :P

#43 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

To be fair, the weakness to sunlight first showed up in the German silent film Nosferatu (rel. in Germany in 1922), so it's a relatively new addition to the vampire lore. Dracula himself, who could go around in sunlight unharmed and without sparkling, was composed of bits and pieces of folklore, and was very much an original creation by Stoker.

Still, the point is clear. I've never read or watched Twilight in my life, and that's not about to change. To an old (both meanings) fan of horror literature and movies, teenage angst versions of classic monsters is blasphemy.

Same here. Vincent Price would roll in his grave if he saw Twilight now.

#44 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

It is for little kids.

So is Avatar. So is Dexter's Lab. Batman the Animated Series. JLU. Looney Toons. Spectacular Spider-Man. Do these sucks because they are "for kids"?

#45 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

So is Avatar. So is Dexter's Lab. Batman the Animated Series. JLU. Looney Toons. Spectacular Spider-Man. Do these sucks because they are "for kids"?

Are you a little kid.

Because I watch shows like Law and Order, Everybody hates Chris, NFL, NBA, I read rated M comics, I Love New York, Gangland, History channel, South Park, Boondocks, and Family guy.

I do not watch kids shows dude.

#46 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

DBZ is unrealistic and whack and it is for little kids.

I think DBZ sucks, but your reasoning isn't all that. ESPECIALLY this part of it.

Most geek stuff that people love around here was CREATED FOR KIDS. Comics? Kids' stuff. Animated shows (regardless of country of origin)? Kids' stuff. Sci Fi and Fantasy? Kids' stuff.

Hell, most horror movies and stuff like that are targeted as teenaged audiences. From most perspectives, teenaged = kids, so that's kids' stuff as well.

Very little geeky pop culture stuff was made WITHOUT the kid/tween/teen audience in mind. This is why most geeky movies are PG-13. This is why the comic industry had the Comic Code for so long, and why they make separate imprints for "Adult" stuff (Vertigo, whatever). This is why Cartoon Network creates a separate block/pseudo-channel for their "mature" cartoons.

"Mature" geek stuff is the exception to the rule. For every R-rated Tarantino fick or District 9/Aliens like movie you're gonna get a dozen PG/PG-13-rated Spidermans and Dark Knights. For every late night anime with violence and nudity you get a dozen DBZs and Narutos.

So yeah, hating something for being "kiddie crap" is basically hating everything you likely enjoy.

#47 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

I think DBZ sucks, but your reasoning isn't all that. ESPECIALLY this part of it.

Most geek stuff that people love around here was CREATED FOR KIDS. Comics? Kids' stuff. Animated shows (regardless of country of origin)? Kids' stuff. Sci Fi and Fantasy? Kids' stuff.

Hell, most horror movies and stuff like that are targeted as teenaged audiences. From most perspectives, teenaged = kids, so that's kids' stuff as well.

Very little geeky pop culture stuff was made WITHOUT the kid/tween/teen audience in mind. This is why most geeky movies are PG-13. This is why the comic industry had the Comic Code for so long, and why they make separate imprints for "Adult" stuff (Vertigo, whatever). This is why Cartoon Network creates a separate block/pseudo-channel for their "mature" cartoons.

"Mature" geek stuff is the exception to the rule. For every R-rated Tarantino fick or District 9/Aliens like movie you're gonna get a dozen PG/PG-13-rated Spidermans and Dark Knights. For every late night anime with violence and nudity you get a dozen DBZs and Narutos.

So yeah, hating something for being "kiddie crap" is basically hating everything you likely enjoy.

Not everything on this website is for kids.

Some comics are rated R. Like Punisher,Blade, Avengers was rated A for adults.

I didnt mean it like that when I said DBZ is for kids.I meant it was unrealist like a little kid would make it.

#48 videogameman

videogameman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

Everybody hates Chris

You just lost all credibility when you put that show on there.

People, here is a prime example of Animation Age Ghetto.

#49 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

You just lost all credibility when you put that show on there.

People, here is a prime example of Animation Age Ghetto.

True True but EHC is not really a kids show. They curse in that show espacially the mom.

#50 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Are you a little kid.

Because I watch shows like Law and Order, Everybody hates Chris, NFL, NBA, I read rated M comics, I Love New York, Gangland, History channel, South Park, Boondocks, and Family guy.

I do not watch kids shows dude.

*ahem* I believe he means basing opinion on the quality of a show, rather than age demographic.

I love all the stuff that vgm just mentioned, yet at the same time I see a good part of what u mentioned. Now would it be a stretch to say avatar or dexters lab is better written that the stuff u just said...possibly not. Also Id like to add this to your reading list on definitions of kids:what do you mean its not for kids?

#51 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

Stranglehold, I see where you're coming from, but I think you're saying it wrong.

For example, Batman the Animated series is for kids, but it's so much better than some of the stuff they show on the adult channels (Not the type some of you are thinking...). In fact, it actually won an Emmy, something other shows can only dream of doing.

Still, that's due to good storytelling, something anyone regardless of age can enjoy.

What I think you're trying to say, is that it isn't about the target age, but the value of the story. Good shows appeal to all, while others not so much.

#52 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

Stranglehold, I see where you're coming from, but I think you're saying it wrong.

For example, Batman the Animated series is for kids, but it's so much better than some of the stuff they show on the adult channels (Not the type some of you are thinking...). In fact, it actually won an Emmy, something other shows can only dream of doing.

Still, that's due to good storytelling, something anyone regardless of age can enjoy.

What I think you're trying to say, is that it isn't about the target age, but the value of the story. Good shows appeal to all, while others not so much.

Ok dude. Oh yeah I am thinking of making a Marvel debating group. Will you help me?

#53 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Ok dude. Oh yeah I am thinking of making a Marvel debating group. Will you help me?

This talk doesn't go here. PM me. It sounds interesting...

#54 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:05 AM

As with most things, the truest words on this subject were spoken by a comedian:

"Any book is a kid's book if the kid can read." -Mitch Hedberg.

#55 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Another guy Im not to fond of:Dr doom

Hear me out. Now let me start by saying up till a few years back I had no f'ing clue what his abilities were.
Genius.Ok makes perfect sense; Ohh, he has powered armour on,alright never got that before; sorcerer...o...k hes smart Ill buy that; wat! he just one-shotted a lion while naked?!?(Honestly ,I have seen that scan,someone has posted that) I swear if hes not a godmodder or some kinda marty stu then I will personally reread the trope page several times over. I think theres a story where he asked strange for help to get his mom or something from hell. Only humanizing thing I could find too. And I read he recently he discarded what little humanity he has left. Im not even sure why that needs to be said. Dudes already got the "more evil than thou" rule to most of the marvel universe.

Also the doombot thing. I get hes a genius,but Ud think his enemies would find a way to figure out a duplicate from the real deal by now. Basically, from what I can read on, its so his badassness isnt dampened. To paraphrase someone, though: If we can believe all the times its been said/mentioned it was a doombot and not the real doom who was defeated, then the real Dr. Doom hasnt appeared since the mid-70's!

#56 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:27 AM

To paraphrase someone on tv tropes

Every time a CBUBer makes a reference to tv tropes, electricferret slides a little farther down the scale of stupidity. How can you people spend more then five minutes on that site? Xanatos Gambit? Really? The best example of a diabolical mastermind in all of fiction the collective minds on that site could come up with was the bad guy from Gargoyles? Was Valmont from Jackie Chan Adventures busy? And there are separate categories for "Xanatos Speed Chess," "Xanatos Roulette," and even "Thirty Xanatos Pileup," which means someone thought Xanatos Gambit was such an awesome name it needed to be further categorized. One need look no further than the "Magnificent Bastard" page, which is just a list of every character ever to hammer out any kind of plan.

There are existing names for literary devices. People born after 1989 would do well to learn this, instead of thinking they're one-upping Joseph Campbell.

#57 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

Every time a CBUBer makes a reference to tv tropes, electricferret slides a little farther down the scale of stupidity. How can you people spend more then five minutes on that site? Xanatos Gambit? Really? The best example of a diabolical mastermind in all of fiction the collective minds on that site could come up with was the bad guy from Gargoyles? Was Valmont from Jackie Chan Adventures busy? And there are separate categories for "Xanatos Speed Chess," "Xanatos Roulette," and even "Thirty Xanatos Pileup," which means someone thought Xanatos Gambit was such an awesome name it needed to be further categorized. One need look no further than the "Magnificent Bastard" page, which is just a list of every character ever to hammer out any kind of plan.

There are existing names for literary devices. People born after 1989 would do well to learn this, instead of thinking they're one-upping Joseph Campbell.

:P Umm, right.My bad... Anyways I was thinking all this time I was gonna get chewed out for saying Dr. doom.

#58 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

This talk doesn't go here. PM me. It sounds interesting...

Ok dude.

#59 videogameman

videogameman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Do you have links to these devices? Many examples across all media to show its prominence? And are there 30,000 of them, all with descriptions and examples? No? Then STFU.

I swear, every time I start liking Ivan( and a lot of other admins) for his hilarious and cynical comments, his holier than thou attitude pisses me off. I just need to get that off my chest.

#60 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Since Ivan refered to Joseph Campbell, he's refering to archtypes, literary terms used to identify common trends and stereotypes seen in literature.

Once you take a course or two in literature in high school or college you'll realize that most "tropes" are just archtypes given lame pop culture names.

So Ivan isn't copping a holier-than-thou attitude, he's saying that the way people treat TV Tropes as some sort of end-all-be-all of fictional stereotypes is kinda like saying "Michael Bay created the action movie." People need to broaden their scope of reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users