12 replies to this topic

#1 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

I just had one of my 'I have just gone to bed and am about to sleep' moments of relative inspiration, hence making this thread,

I remembered watching the first episode of the tv series The Newsroom. And thus, I'm going to pose the question to you, that is asked in that episode:

What makes the United Stated of America, the greatest country in the world?

Now, there has to be a few qualifiers for this question, otherwise we would probably get a bunch of bullsh*t answers as the first two given in the series, so:

1. The reason has to be something that is unique to the U.S. An answer like "freedom", that is given in the series, would (at best)put the U.S. on a shared first place with most of the industrialized countries.

2. Keep in mind, that we are talking about the U.S. as it is right now.

Now personally, I am of, not exactly the same opinion, but a similar opinion, to Jeff Bridges' character in the series, namely: It isn't, but it could be. Now the second half of that, that "it could be" goes for pretty much all of the industrialized countries. Jeff Bridges' character also says that "it used to be", but I honestly can't say that for certain, but it was certainly a contender in the past.

As a final thing: Please don't post, if you're just going to say "it's not". What we/I am trying to find, is claims to the contrary of that. With each answer that is posted, I am going to try to debunk it. Either by providing evidence to the contrary, or by pointing out other countries that share the same quality.

Hope to see some interesting, and well-thought out answers. :)

#2 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

IMO, the thing that is we have is diversity. We are a nation of immigrants, more than any old world nation and more than most colonial nations. That makes us a great ongoing experiment in different cultures, different religions, different world views learning to live together in peace with (to borrow a phrase) liberty and justice for all.

That's amazingly important because technology is shrinking the world very quickly. Isolationism is not a valid long term solution, countries that have held together because of ethnic, religious or cultural homogeneity are not going to be able to handle the changing reality. It's America that, by both necessity and choice, has done the most and best experimenting with helping different people learn to live together as equals, offering every group dignity and respect.

It's far from perfect. There are a lot of divisive, even xenophobic forces in the US. There are a lot of Americans who run full tilt from the ideals I'm talking about and some truly spectacular failures. Regardless, I see these things happening here in a way I don't see them happening anywhere else in the world.

#3 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Our roads are paved with gold.

I'll give a serious answer later.

#4 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

McDonald's.

#5 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

The original reason was the whole idea that you can come in and be whatever you want to be. Rags to riches was the name of the game. That's not the game anymore.

#6 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Harvey Dent knows why.

Also, if you're going to watch Aaron Sorkin, don't watch Newsroom. (IMO) It's hackneyed hindsight and all of the characters are unlikable, even Sam Waterston, and I always like Sam Waterston in everything else I've ever seen him in. If you want to see what made Sorkin who he is, watch the West Wing. It's almost certainly on Netflicks, and most of the issues they encounter are still relevant, though I think they did one episode on Don't ask Don't tell which isn't as relevant now, but thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and its one episode out of like a hundred. The West Wing burned Sorkin out, and everything he's done since doesn't have the same kind of energy. Watch an episode to see if you like it.

#7 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Haven't seen Newsroom, but West Wing was excellent! My favorite scene was the President chewing God out in Latin... that and the diatribe with the Dr. Laura clone.

#8 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

The guy mouthed out a bunch of random statistics (most of which are misguided or wrong), but what makes a country the best country in the world? Something so subjective is nearly pointless to debate about. President Obama once said something, "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."

I can't tell you what makes America the best country in the world, just like someone from China can't objectively tell you that China is the best country in the world because I don't know what that means. Does having the biggest GDP on the planet mean that America is the "best" country? I don't know. So yeah, I can't tell you what makes the US the "best", but I can tell you why I love it. I love it because it's where hotdogs came from, I love it because of innovation, I love it because of Batman, I love it because it's where even the stupidest, most partisan assholes in the whole *vulgarity*ing world can get 50 million radio listeners. Sometimes, I hate it because it's where even the stupidest, most partisan assholes in the whole *vulgarity*ing world can get 50 million radio listeners. I love it because of idiots and geniuses, coffee, and undoubtedly the best university system on the planet (now that, I can say definitively that that the US is best at). I love it because she's my home. And I love it for a lot of other reasons I can't put to words right now. The point is, I can't tell you if America is the best country in the world without knowing what best is.

#9 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Haven't seen Newsroom, but West Wing was excellent! My favorite scene was the President chewing God out in Latin... that and the diatribe with the Dr. Laura clone.

Loved those scenes. There are so many other great ones that if I tried to come up with a list I'd be here all day.

In retrospect I may have been too hard on Newsroom. It isn't incredibly bad, but it just wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.

#10 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

LOL. Liked for the little dude, tossing a rocket on the giant's foot.

#12 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

What makes the United Stated of America, the greatest country in the world?

Nilan told me that America has some of the best looking women in the world after I told him that I was a fan of a women from his neck of the woods. So, there's that. Hot chicks.

#13 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

OPPA GANGNAM STYLE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users