• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

It does take a ton of dedication, and a thick skin, but if you ever decide you're interested in joining a writer's workshop, LMK.

I'll come right out and say this. I have no idea who you are, and I have no idea where you came from but if you responded to this thread, you must be an okay guy to get to know and everything. I am not sure if you know who I am but people off site when they join, somehow they know who I am. Which is weird since I kind of don't know them but, eh.

Writer's Workshop, eh? Well.. I have to ask.. What's that like? I mean I know I took creative writing in high school but what is exactly Writer's Workshop?

I have always enjoyed your writing. I feel the sight would feel fresh if we could get some new members in here that actually stick to it. We have the same dozen or so members that do everything. Also we cant put down matches we have seen dozens of times, when its new members creating it. When a new member creates it, its his first time with it. I just feel as though some new members feel intimidated when people bash there first fights.

I am glad to know that you like my writing. It's been something which I have developing as a hobby through roleplaying and eventually took to the CBUB in order to refine something which I enjoyed doing, and also to educate users here on a certain type of character whom not many would know about. Or seem to care to know about and maybe bring that sense of respect to that type of character.

I can understand giving new writers out there some slack. They are relatively new and they are trying their hand at it, however when it comes to writing, I am something of a hard-ass on it. I remember reviewing the work of a would-be romance writer who had written some work based off of K-Drama and mad it really lovey dovey and I gave critique on it.. No punches pulled. But here on the CBUB, it seems a lot of would be writers here are well... Kids. And I am talking 14-18 years of age here.

But there are some would be writers out there who I feel do not... understand certain characters, or like certain characters. These authors I feel probably shouldn't even touch characters who they don't understand or have immense disliking towards. I could name names, but I'm not going to. All I am saying is just my opinion and really find this somewhat ironic considering we've all done that at some point.

But some just do it a lot more than others.

Rakai, I personally love your Pred fights. You could chose a unblooded Pred and use him to build his warrior rep against foes. You could do Pred vs characters you have pitted him against before and just change the set up.

Above is just a suggestion. Hope ya stick around and get through this funk.

It's funny that you mention that idea because I actually already did that with Scar Predator. Back sometime in 2009 to 2010 I believe, I was doing an arc with him. I started him off as an Unblooded warrior, and I gradually had built him up as a warrior through his experiences in according to Alien vs Predator canon as far as Yautja ranks are concerned, the strength potential of the Yautja, and the weapons too. Scar has taken on some opponents whom were pretty powerful and dangerous in their own right. Some of those opponents I have even drawn criticism for because Scar had pulled out a couple of lucky wins ( I.E. Captain America (Bucky Barnes) ) and there was some controversy about how and why I was building Scar up. I believe that a lot of members were there when that controversy was quite rampant and off the top of my head, I think I have.. three detractors? Used to be four but now it's just three now I believe, after speaking to one of said detractors here and there. But Scar has been through some forty eight fights.. Most of them I did. While I had wanted Scar to go up against some of the more popular household names with some of his gained experience to back him up, I burned myself out and looked at his record and felt as if I was just satisfied. He had a good enough record and was on the top contenders list.

I would like to say I consider Scar Predator a success as far as a personal goal is concerned regarding building up good records for him. Believe it or not, he is something of a hated character over at some AvP forums because of the way he was designed. Fans didn't like him because he was too "heroic" looking and that he didn't look exactly like Diablo from the first movie. So I wanted to give Scar some appreciation and I think I did that. I'd like to think he would've been given some respect. Which is then where I had taken a hiatus and moved onto Broken Tusk aka Dachande.

Dachande is my favorite character of all time. I decided to do what I had done with my Scar Predator arc only for Broken Tusk. However with Scar, the problem was running into the possibility of doing the same opponents over and over again. So I had to look out for new opponents, which wasn't easy because Scar took out some pretty powerful ones himself. It was tricky with Dachande because we're talking about a Hunter who already is a proven and experienced warrior, one who possesses legendary skill and incredible strength, even for a Predator. And regarding Dachande, I would like to think that the record he has now was just his starting record. Twenty nine fights so far, and that's not bad.

What had kept me choked and in that funk was that I took location into consideration and who would be there. Scar had already hunted and killed the Sailor Senshi, so there was no point in doing that again with Dachande, and while I could do Kamen Rider and Super Sentai characters.. I don't know too much about the original Japanese source material except for whatever few episodes I have seen. While I COULD take the fights somewhere else, I just got lazy in wanting to just write out how this certain character got to a location and why he is there. Trying to write two-three pages regarding an explanation on why who and who is there can get tiring.

And then there are the "Past" matches which are set in the past.. While I could do that, there are some characters out there who are brand new and haven't been as heavily expanded upon as older characters who have been around for twenty, thirty, fourty.. fifty or even sixty years. So working with new characters is also very hard too.

I would like to get back into writing and I would love to finish what I had started but really... it's harder done than said.

-Rakai'Thwei

#22 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

If you have such strong feelings of resentment, why the hell are you still here?

#23 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

If you have such strong feelings of resentment, why the hell are you still here?

Because I happen to have some friends here.

That and every now and then I look over character submissions.

-Rakai'Thwei

#24 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

The points are an aside. The creation system is extremely easy. The true fun is pushing your writing limits to exceed its current potential. It's a self challenge to be better than you once were. Everybody knows you love fighting, Predator and writing, but Wouldn't you be more inspired to create your own alien race? Your own fighter? Sure you can do that in RP's, but in FPL you actually get to prove that your character is good. Plus the FPL has some of the best RP's (most created by yours truly). Deojusto is running one now. But really, it's the thrill of competition and challenging yourself that should inspire you. Their is a chance to challenge yourself in FPL. Can I create things I love that are more entertaining and original than anybody else?

You: Well, the points limit me.

Me: That's what side characters are for. Peter Parker wouldn't be anything without Aunt May. Why must your character be Goku's right off the bat? FPL ISN'T ABOUT THE POWER! It's about the writing. Ivan did Marcellus Doloras (or however you spell it) years ago. This is perhaps the weakest (physical) character in the FPL. Yet this character is one of the best in the FPL. There are tons of characters like this. We have a Velociraptor president and masseuse assassin. That's where the challenge comes in. You want to create an alien race of uber power? Then beat the street level guys to earn that. Now you have a goal. Create a storyline that follows the weaker characters until you create this potential build up for an all out release of the alien hoard once the little character breaks the threshold for you to create more powerful characters. The only limits on FPL are the limits you put on yourself.

Anyway, I should hold an FPL workshop. Hmm...

#25 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Last, the FPL needs talented writers like you. In its current state, the FPL is at an all-time participation low. It needs some new blood like a crackhead needs a hit.

#26 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

The points are an aside. The creation system is extremely easy. The true fun is pushing your writing limits to exceed its current potential. It's a self challenge to be better than you once were. Everybody knows you love fighting, Predator and writing, but it's the thrill of competition and challenging yourself that should inspire you. Wouldn't you be more inspired to create your own alien race? Your own fighter?

When you put it something like that, then it sounds more appealing than what I originally have thought. Now you've got me considering it, Treach. You've earned yourself some brownies today!

Yeah, I like confrontation. Yeah, I like the Predator.

The thing is, I have created purely original characters and there was a point where I had discussed with a fellow EF member about migrating them to the FPL but wasn't exactly sure how to work with the points and all of that. I have considered in migrating some of my Eastern Dragon characters-- I think that they probably could fit in the FPL. One of them happens to be a Chinese Shen-Long who is a chef in Philadelphia's Chinatown district, and the other is a Japanese Ryuu who happens to be a Yakuza boss.

One of them completely abhors violence, while the other revels in it.

Me: That's what side characters are for. Peter Parker wouldn't be anything without Aunt May. Why must your character be Goku's right off the bat? FPL ISN'T ABOUT THE POWER! It's about the writing. Ivan did Marcellus Doloras (or however you spell it) years ago. This is perhaps the weakest (physical) character in the FPL. Yet this character is one of the best in the FPL. There are tons of characters like this. We have a Velociraptor president and masseuse assassin. That's where the challenge comes in. You want to create an alien race of uber power? Then beat the street level guys to earn that. Create a storyline that follows the weaker characters until you create this potential build up for an all out release of the alien hoard once the little character breaks the threshold for you to create more powerful characters. The only limits on FPL are the limits you put on yourself.

Regarding my characters such as Rakai'Thwei, my own Predator fan character-- I have had him for more than over ten years and he's become one of my favorite characters. I've centered a whole world around him and his clan, a bunch of other Predator fan-characters whom I have developed and they are my favorites, more so than the original characters I have developed. As a matter of fact, they're considered guardians over a grounds which they Hunt in, and their whole lives are based around that premise. They've met some colorful folks here and there.

But regarding my Chinese Shen-Long and Japanese Ryuu... I haven't done a lot with them as of lately. I do have infact a biography for my Chinese Shen-Long and what his history entails. He goes back, way back to China's ruling dynasties and has seen the fall of the Chinese empire and the rise of Chairman Mao and his communist party, to the Japanese occupation of the Sino-Japanese war.

I have yet to write up a biography for my Japanese Ryuu, but I know what I want to write down.. It's just I procrastinate about writing it down.

Regarding their abilities.. Well, that's where it's confusing with the points.

Last, the FPL needs talented writers like you. In its current state, the FPL is at an all-time participation low. It needs some new blood like a crackhead needs a hit.

I am flattered that you consider me a talented writer. Now you've got me seriously considering the FPL and perhaps me migrating my two Dragon characters there. It's not always easy for me to make original characters because you actually have to come up with it from scratch and then work with something that hasn't been done or make something that has been done but with your own spin on it.

-Rakai'Thwei

#27 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hmm.. I really have no good advice. ^^; I haven't written anything, since February of last year, so I'm kind of in the same spot. It's not like I haven't had any match ideas during that stretch, I just haven't had the drive or desire to type it out.

#28 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

If you look at the street level characters and say, "these powers are too weak." then try to earn the next level (Global character) by starting with some extras or fill-in characters. Or!!! You said your characters are dragons in human guise? Create the human side first as completely street level guys. If and when you go Global, then create their dragon side. The thing is, you should build enough potential in the street level character that people will vote you up just to see those dragons appear. Again, the FPL is extremely stark right now. Impress Deojusto, Darkender and Pseudonym and you've practically won. Heh.

#29 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

If you look at the street level characters and say, "these powers are too weak." then try to earn the next level (Global character) by starting with some extras or fill-in characters. Or!!! You said your characters are dragons in human guise? Create the human side first as completely street level guys. If and when you go Global, then create their dragon side. The thing is, you should build enough potential in the street level character that people will vote you up just to see those dragons appear. Again, the FPL is extremely stark right now. Impress Deojusto, Darkender and Pseudonym and you've practically won. Heh.

Well, regarding one of my Dragon characters... Matsurei, the Japanese Ryuu-- he has powers and dominion over darkness and shadows. In his human form he can even utilize this to a certain extent as well. Not only that, considering his long life span he has at one point been a Shogun Samurai and a Koga ninja. So he knows both Bushido and Budo in terms of philosophical paths but he is also skilled in Kenjutsu and Ninjutsu. Throw in his control of Umbralkinesis and martial arts, and a little bit of shape shifting. You've got someone who is dangerous.. Where would he be as far as the FPL is concerned?

Also, it seems kind of a bit... off putting that I would have to make two different versions of each of the characters I have mentioned. I mean sure it probably DOES make sense, but I might as well be making four different characters total than just two different versions of these two particular characters. Yes, these are dragons living in our modern society and masquerading around as humans but I disagree that making four slots for just two characters with two different forms is necessary.

From a point-usage stand-point, yeah it makes sense.

-Rakai'Thwei

#30 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sounds like the FPL's jealous the CBUB's milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard.

"Damn right, it's better than yours, I can teach you but I have to charge."

Hehe.

#31 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

It was merely an option Rakai. I've been doing FPL for years, I could give you a dozen more. That character sounds like a Global, but there are ways to cheat the powers for greater abilities. The vets do it all the time. In the end, all that matters is writing. If your character makes jaws drop, nobody will care what rule you break.

And Nova, until any of the CBUB proves themselves on the kill floor, their milkshakes are sour. Beat a Darkender/Pseudonym character and I'll glance in your direction briefly. Beat a Deojusto character and I'll pay attention. Beat one of mine and I'll move over and let you in. Beat an FPL vet (Landon, Ivan, Threedark) and I'll give you the keys to the kingdom.

#32 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like the FPL's jealous the CBUB's milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard.

Hehe.

lol.

#33 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

"Beat Darkender/Pseudonym"

Challenge considered.

"Beat Deojusto"

Challenge denied.

"Beat Treach"

Wait what...

"Beat the vets"

...Since when have I been a part of the Impossible Mission Force?

#34 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

It was merely an option Rakai. I've been doing FPL for years, I could give you a dozen more. That character sounds like a Global, but there are ways to cheat the powers for greater abilities. The vets do it all the time. In the end, all that matters is writing. If your character makes jaws drop, nobody will care what rule you break.

It is an option, yes. But flattery where get you somewhere with me. Ha ha!

But like I said, concerning Matsurei... I have yet to write out a full biography for him and a list of complete abilities. He happens to be a roleplay character of mine set in the same world I have developed for my Predator fan-characters. Though the two parties have yet to meet and actually interact. Still, I suppose the reason he sounds like a global character is because of his long life span and what his powers are as a dragon.

My Chinese Shen-Long, Lin Wang.. Isn't really meant for fighting. As a dragon, sure he can hold his own but he's not the kind of dragon suited for that kind of thing as his dominion is over fortune and luck. Also throw in the fact that he isn't a fan of violence, he's considerable less skilled than Matsurei. Infact, I'll share his bio with you.

http://pjj.cc/cos/re...in Wang&fm=view

-Rakai'Thwei

#35 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'll read that and I will share this nitty gritty guide with you:

http://www.electricf...880#entry320626

#36 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'll read that and I will share this nitty gritty guide with you:

http://www.electricf...880#entry320626

Something tells me I am in for a long read.

But regarding the CBUB... Ummm... I think I said everything which I needed to get my chest off about it.

-Rakai'Thwei

#37 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'll come right out and say this. I have no idea who you are, and I have no idea where you came from but if you responded to this thread, you must be an okay guy to get to know and everything. I am not sure if you know who I am but people off site when they join, somehow they know who I am. Which is weird since I kind of don't know them but, eh.

I have no clue who you are, but thanks. I like to think I'm an okay guy.

Writer's Workshop, eh? Well.. I have to ask.. What's that like? I mean I know I took creative writing in high school but what is exactly Writer's Workshop?

It's probably pretty similar; people looking at each other's stories and offering pointers on grammar, style, character development, markets a story could be sent to, etc. The big difference is that it's adults instead of HS students and a lot of the members have a fair number of published stories and even novels to their credit. It takes a healthy level of commitment but if you're willing to critique every story submitted (usually 4 a month) everyone else will offer you a good critique as well.

It is a little painful because there will be smart people picking your stories apart in great detail. The good side is, in my group, nobody's mean-spirited about it. We're tough but it's because we all want to help each other develop our skills.

Anyway, PM me if you decide you might be interested.

#38 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have no clue who you are, but thanks. I like to think I'm an okay guy.

Well, a lot of people here know me as the resident Alien vs Predator expert here. People here know me as the guy who knows a lot about the Yautja considering that I have researched the material extensively and know a lot about the species. I've also written a lot of matches involving them and most of them are in the Cbub archives.

It's probably pretty similar; people looking at each other's stories and offering pointers on grammar, style, character development, markets a story could be sent to, etc. The big difference is that it's adults instead of HS students and a lot of the members have a fair number of published stories and even novels to their credit. It takes a healthy level of commitment but if you're willing to critique every story submitted (usually 4 a month) everyone else will offer you a good critique as well.

It is a little painful because there will be smart people picking your stories apart in great detail. The good side is, in my group, nobody's mean-spirited about it. We're tough but it's because we all want to help each other develop our skills.

Anyway, PM me if you decide you might be interested.

Fair enough.

Yeah, for me creative writing back in High School was more of a place to relax and it was where I was starting out with my writing. I mostly had shared my fan-fiction material with class mates, and occasionally we looked over literary works from each of our personal favorite authors.

-Rakai'Thwei

#39 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hehe.

I drink your MILKSHAKE! I drink it UP!

#40 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

The points are an aside. The creation system is extremely easy. The true fun is pushing your writing limits to exceed its current potential. It's a self challenge to be better than you once were. Everybody knows you love fighting, Predator and writing, but Wouldn't you be more inspired to create your own alien race? Your own fighter? Sure you can do that in RP's, but in FPL you actually get to prove that your character is good. Plus the FPL has some of the best RP's (most created by yours truly). Deojusto is running one now. But really, it's the thrill of competition and challenging yourself that should inspire you. Their is a chance to challenge yourself in FPL. Can I create things I love that are more entertaining and original than anybody else?

You: Well, the points limit me.

Me: That's what side characters are for. Peter Parker wouldn't be anything without Aunt May. Why must your character be Goku's right off the bat? FPL ISN'T ABOUT THE POWER! It's about the writing. Ivan did Marcellus Doloras (or however you spell it) years ago. This is perhaps the weakest (physical) character in the FPL. Yet this character is one of the best in the FPL. There are tons of characters like this. We have a Velociraptor president and masseuse assassin. That's where the challenge comes in. You want to create an alien race of uber power? Then beat the street level guys to earn that. Now you have a goal. Create a storyline that follows the weaker characters until you create this potential build up for an all out release of the alien hoard once the little character breaks the threshold for you to create more powerful characters. The only limits on FPL are the limits you put on yourself.

Anyway, I should hold an FPL workshop. Hmm...

Moreover, if you're clever enough you can make a real badass in Street Level. Batman's probably street level. Toph might be street level. Every one of the Teen Titans is probably Street Level. At first I would've agreed with you, 14 points is way to few to represent my characters. Now, I find it hard to represent a character with more than 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users