7 replies to this topic

#1 Supes Rulez

Supes Rulez

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hi. My name's Sam Hale. You've probably heard of me at one point or another on the local news, or in the case of New Houston you probably saw me put down a local KKK uprising. Can't believe those losers are still around, jeez...

Sorry, I digress. The public knows me as a scientist working at San Francisco. I have a steady job, I've gone on some joyrides with the government's latest aircraft, I've even taken a photo with an alien or two...

And I'm a 'super hero'. Pulse.

Sam Hale helped fix the final fixtures to a rocket developed by New NASA and China. If everything went according to plan, they would have a new satellite in place to properly communicate with their new friends, the Greys.

After first (official) contact was made following World War III, the Greys helped restore sanitation to most areas affected by the conflict. They were even nice enough to apologize for the abductions throughout the past century.

As the rocket achieved escape velocity Sam went down to his private underground cell for his weekly training program. His friend, Lieutenant Alexandra Rhodes of the SFPD had sent a new AI down to test his abilites, called Rookie. "Telepathy, huh. Never faced anything like that before."

Calling Alexandra, he left a short message. "It's a beautiful day out, Alex. Let's make this brief, shall we?"

file:///Users/sam/Desktop/Void%20Mythos/Pulse:Sam%20Hale.png

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Learn More About
Pulse
Origination: Super
Alignment: Hero
Team: Solo Heroes

Team Rookie
Origination: Normal
Alignment: Hero
Team: Test Team One

#3 Supes Rulez

Supes Rulez

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Okay, so setting up the character image was a pain, and challengers weren't exactly available. Joy.

But nontheless, it's fun finally sharing one of my own creations with the world. Copy the file pasted at the bottom of the story into the address bar, and then see my hero. Pulse has been developing his powers for a few months so he's gotten the hang of them. He is going to test them against a basic AI, Rookie. Let's see how we can explain his powers more and see how he starts out!

If you're wondering what the 'Void Mythos' is by the name of that file, don't worry. It'll all become clear soon. :rolleyes:

#4 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hey, Welcome to the FPL. This was pretty good for a first crack at a match, but Rookie is just a test character, and not made for actual matches. Also, I would look over some of the other characters in the database and get a better feel of what is expected in a character. We usually go by a "Show, don't tell" philosphy where, rather than you explaining the powers and background of the character, you show it. You seem like a pretty good writer by the set up so this should come easy to you. ;)

#5 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hey, man. Welcome to the FPL. I've seen some of your writing in the CBUB, and I was just thinking "Man, this guy could definitely step it up a notch and make his way up to the FPL."

But you didn't, really. Not all that much, you gave us your character's wikipedia entry when we wanted to hear his story. Which is fine, I guess. It's just we're really missing out on hearing the time he used his disintegration attack. Why'd he do it? Who did he do it to? Did it leave any lasting marks on him? Why won't he do it again?

Really good storytelling is what'll get you far in the FPL. Here's a pretty good example.

Cheers, mate. Have fun on the FPL Killfloor.

#6 Supes Rulez

Supes Rulez

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hey, man. Welcome to the FPL. I've seen some of your writing in the CBUB, and I was just thinking "Man, this guy could definitely step it up a notch and make his way up to the FPL."

But you didn't, really. Not all that much, you gave us your character's wikipedia entry when we wanted to hear his story. Which is fine, I guess. It's just we're really missing out on hearing the time he used his disintegration attack. Why'd he do it? Who did he do it to? Did it leave any lasting marks on him? Why won't he do it again?

Really good storytelling is what'll get you far in the FPL. Here's a pretty good example.

Cheers, mate. Have fun on the FPL Killfloor.

Sorry about that. I didn't know that I was supposed to use a story to establish my powers. Is there a way to edit that?

#7 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Don't worry about it, man. Your first character is almost never going to be super-amazing. Editing it won't be necessary. Just keep going, making more characters.

#8 Supes Rulez

Supes Rulez

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Don't worry about it, man. Your first character is almost never going to be super-amazing. Editing it won't be necessary. Just keep going, making more characters.

Okay. I'll just make up for it with the stories of the matches, and show Pulse's from there.

#9 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Match Final Results
Team Rookie Won a match against Pulse
3 to 2
Pulse: -25 fame points
Team Rookie: 25 fame points