6 replies to this topic

#1 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Comixology: http://www.comixology.com/ Anyone using this to read their comics each month?

I've got several boxes of print comics taking up space. I quit buying any comics years ago just because I didn't want more boxes of them.

This digital method of reading comics looks pretty awesome, though. But I'm kind of surprised the issues cost the same as print edition, I thought they would be less expensive than paper and ink. Also, I am guessing they have no resale value as a collectable.

Then, on the other hand, very few of the comics I have in boxes seem to have any resale value either.

It does seem pretty awesome to be able to read your favorite comics each month on a Kindle or something wherever you go, though, and not have to physically store them.

#2 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yeah I tried using that and it's okay. However I prefer to actually have the comic in my hand depending on it's quality of writing and read it because it's much better. For older comics in the past I buy I like to have the actual comic because those I am more likely to read again and older comics are always going to be better then today's comics due to the excellent writing back then. Newer comics I don't mind reading digitially because so few of them while good just aren't good enough for me to even keep in my collection due to the quality of writing.

It would really depend on you. If you have older comics you like to reread I say get the actual comic. If it's newer comics that while you may like you just don't feel the need to keep the issue then just read it online on something like Comixology. I know alot of people prefer to buy older comics and read new comic online. It's sad but alot of newer comics just aren't worth keeping in people's comic collection these days. I only have a few new comic series I actually buy to keep in my collection.

#3 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, I imagine in most cases I would like to have the actual comic also. But I have so many comics from the Nineties that aren't even worth the space they are taking up these days ("Ben Riley" Scarlet Spider clone anyone?).

Just wish the digital versions cost less. Thanks for your take on it.

#4 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

No problem. DC Comic's prices are good. Marvel for some reason feels the need to be expensive.

#5 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have it on my iPhone. I know they have free comics, so I usually get those.

#6 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

1. I'd rather have the physical copy for various reasons. I can't lend out a (legal) digital copy to a friend. Actually having the comic in my hands is an aesthetic preference. There's also the whole "digital shouldn't cost as much as physical" thing, but that's not as big of a deal for me as the previous two.

2. I'd rather see my $20-$30 a month go to the local comic store I like. If I didn't have a comic store whose employees were cool and all that, I might be more inclined to buy online.

If I could get the latest issue of one of the comics I read for about half retail on something like Comixology, things MIGHT be different, but I'd probably still stick with buying them at the comic store. Or maybe there could be some sort of subscription service. Pay so much a month and get digital access to the entire company's releases for that month or something. It'd have to be on par with an MMO or something-- maybe $20 a month tops-- in order to seem reasonable. Doubt that price point'll ever happen.

#7 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

2. I'd rather see my $20-$30 a month go to the local comic store I like. If I didn't have a comic store whose employees were cool and all that, I might be more inclined to buy online.

The local comic shops can create a Comixology website for themselves and when you buy a digital copy you buy through them and the store gets money. just something I learned reading about it.

I guess a lot of small shops are doing that so people can buy through them online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users