• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have a friend who literally never shuts up about this game called EVE Online. Whenever we have facebook chats it takes him like a millenia to reply because he's 'watching EVE videos'. What makes it so good? I've seen gameplay footage, trailers, and more, yet the game just looks like a generic 3D space shooter. There are thousands like it, so what makes it so special? Does anyone have an account? If so, enlighten me. Prove to me that EVE is the most epic game on the internet.

#2 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Why don't you ask your friend? Not being rude, just curious, lol.

#3 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

He just says it's epic and that's it. Kinda stubborn.

#4 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

EVE Online is an interesting case. Although I personally don't play it, I know from reading about it that it has some fascinating aspects. One of those being, I believe, that it's in-game currency (ISK) can be bought and sold for real world dollars. And that has led to some Ocean's Eleven type heist stories.

Try these: #7 and #1 - The Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming.

Eve Online: The craftiest players in the world.

#5 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

EVE Online is an interesting case. Although I personally don't play it, I know from reading about it that it has some fascinating aspects. One of those being, I believe, that it's in-game currency (ISK) can be bought and sold for real world dollars. And that has led to some Ocean's Eleven type heist stories.

Try these: #7 and #1 - The Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming.

Eve Online: The craftiest players in the world.

Wait, so people actually pay reallife money to buy certain stuff in the game off other people? That's just plain sad. But also kinda genius in a way.

#6 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

EVE is in part a game, but it's also in part one of the world's most unregulated economies that uses what is effectively actual money. People pay ridiculous sums to game companies for 'certain stuff' in games all the time, at least here you can sell it back to someone else under supply and demand. I'm not sure if the gameplay is fun, but Cracked has a few other articles where they mention people making tons of real money, or losing it, on bad investments in EVE.

#7 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

A few of the more unique and distinguishing factors of EVE online:

1. Probably the best and worst part of EVE(as compared to most other MMOs) is that there really is no "endgame". There's not really ever a point where you've done everything and/or reached the limit of your progression.

2. You "level up" by training skills in real time, even if you aren't actually playing the game(as long as your account is active).

3. If you die, you don't get your stuff back. Your ship and everything in it/equipped to it is gone for good if it gets blown up. You'll have to buy new stuff.

4. You can use in-game currency to purchase more subscription time. If played properly I know for a fact you can earn enough for a month's subscription in only a few hours of gameplay.

I only had a trial account, but I have some relatives who were very into the game and so have learned a lot about it. I definitely enjoyed it a lot and intend to get back into it eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users