• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I just compared all the series with David and Christopher against the ones with Matt Smith, and I just have to say this...

What ever happened to Doctor Who?

Admittedly, the fifth series, the first with Matt Smith as the Doctor, wasn't too bad. It was epic seeing all the old enemies side by side to defend the universe, but in a way, that's where things went downhill. Things just started to get too overly complicated. I could only just work out what the hell was going on. One minute they're in Britain in Roman times. Next minute they're meeting River Song and Rory as a Roman. Next minute they find out Rory and the Romans are actually Autons, who have teamed up with the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans to save the universe. And all this because of a stupid box? The old series were simple and to the point. Daleks are invading? Shoot the f*ckers and hope for the best! Bullets don't work? Then run and we'll find a way to defeat them later on.

Speaking of daleks, I hate the new 'Teletubby' design change. Why did they have to do that? The daleks are supposed to be the biggest threat in the universe, and looked the part too. Now the daleks are the joke of the universe. They did bring the bronze design back in Asylum of the Daleks, but they never explained why. Didn't the new Daleks exterminate them all because they were impure? Or did they just keep them around as slaves?

Now I bet your expecting me to rant on about Matt Smith as an actor, but he's not that bad in my opinion, just not as good as the others. Don't all you Smith fans go all fanboy rage on me, cause it's just my opinion.

#2 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Smith is the best Doctor... but the series as a whole isn't as good as Tennant's run. It's a hell of a lot better than Eccleston's series though.

#3 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Smith is the best Doctor...

No.

#4 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Smith is not the best. He's too Jack Sparrow-esque, bouncing around like a child, unfathomably escaping every situation he's out in. The old Doctors are, mostly, much better. They seemed so wise and quirky, like a space Willy Wonka, which is much better than the sillyness Smith brings to the role. In my opinion, anyway.

#5 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

The fifth series is my personal favorite of the reboot, and Smith is my favorite actor. You complain about the plots being more complicated, but I just don't see it. They weren't as straightforward as "Shoot the Daleks" I suppose, but it wasn't impossible to follow or anything. I followed it easily, and really liked the fact that it wasn't so simple. If it was always so simple, it would have sucked.

#6 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

The fifth series is my personal favorite of the reboot, and Smith is my favorite actor. You complain about the plots being more complicated, but I just don't see it. They weren't as straightforward as "Shoot the Daleks" I suppose, but it wasn't impossible to follow or anything. I followed it easily, and really liked the fact that it wasn't so simple. If it was always so simple, it would have sucked.

If that's your opinion, then fair enough.

#7 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Smith is the best Doctor... but the series as a whole isn't as good as Tennant's run. It's a hell of a lot better than Eccleston's series though.

I MOSTLY agree with this.

As far as my take on it, Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor. I'd say objectively David Tennant was the best however.

What I mean by that is, I enjoy Matt Smith's take on the Doctor and his "bouncing around like a child" is a great way to show the Doctor, because that childishness is one of the key features of the Doctor. No matter how old he is, he's always been a kid in the biggest playground . He also does a great job in portraying a man who has been through more than anyone can imagine, lost everyone he's cared about and everything he's ever loved, yet still finds beauty and joy in the universe. And I feel he does an amazing job combining the deep complex emotions of the Doctor with humor and heart warming moments.

However, with that said. I say David Tennant is the best. Because when I stop and think how the Doctor SHOULD be played, I think of David Tennant. Combine that with, generally, better episodes and a deep rich cast, both of which drew on Doctor Who's history in a deep way, and you have the ideal Doctor, making for, objectively, the best run on the series.

As far as Eccleson's doctor goes. He was a great Doctor also, who had a good run. The only reason his run isn't quite on par with the others is because he only had one season, so there wasn't enough time to build a history or an emotional connection with that Doctor as there were and are with Tennant and Smith.

#8 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Burgers.

#9 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

I didn't like Eccleson at first either. But when I rewatched his season, I realized that this is the Doctor after coming back from the Time War. He was a soldier more than he was a madman with a box. He's the one who sealed up the Time War, basically killing his entire race. Of course he's going to be some kind of tough guy. He's just like every other veteran returning home. It was only because he met Rose that he was able to remember what his life was like before being a soldier.

I really enjoy River, in small doses. But the more they expanded her character, they less interesting she become. In future seasons they need to go back to how they used to use her, having her just drop in and be a badass, then leave. It would even give her some mystery again since they could focus on River from the perspective of the new companion.

Amy was great at first. As the show went on though, she became annoying. She just, didn't grow as a character. And I really hated her this last season, because she over stayed her welcome completely. Rory was great, and watching him go from an average joe to being the Doctor's equal was great. He was like Mickey done right!

I'm really looking forward to the new companion and the next part of this season, because I agree, the new companion seems great. Speaking of

#10 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I actually really like Eccleston's take on the doctor. That one episode with the gasmask zombie guys is one of my favorite episodes.

I agree with tomisntblue on Rory and Amy pretty much. Amy was really cool at first, but was really dull and boring eventually.

#11 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Also...as to whatever happened to the Doctor...he bleached his hair, changed his name and migrated to the Marvel Universe as Henry Pym.

http://siskoid.blogs...doctor-who.html

#12 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I actually really like Eccleston's take on the doctor. That one episode with the gasmask zombie guys is one of my favorite episodes.

I agree with tomisntblue on Rory and Amy pretty much. Amy was really cool at first, but was really dull and boring eventually.

That episode scared the shit out of me (mainly the transformation part). I still can't bring myself to look at an Empty Child transformation to this day.

#13 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wuss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users