#1 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

So it would seem that the CBUB needs a president. Here's your chance to make a difference! What started here... http://www.electricf...=0

...is back. Once again, we will separate the men from the boys. Welcome all to the CBUB Presidential Debates! let’s do it again…

The Premise

Monthly, a writing challenge will be posted on this portion of the forums. Anybody who wants to write on the CBUB is able to participate. To participate simply create a match that follows the challenge rules to the CBUB main page. Then post a link to that fight on this page. Only one entry per contestant. There will be a two week deadline to post your match. Miss the deadline? Better luck next month. Special judges will pick their favorite matches based on creativity, uniqueness and all that writing mumbo jumbo. The Top Three winners will be announced here with the main winners fight going to the Official CBUB Hall Of Fame board as the writer of the month.

The Judges

Myself, Ruinus, Culwych come to mind, but any past winners that want to judge, pm me.

The Deadline

Challenge will begin Monday of next week and end Monday of the last week in November, so there is plenty of time to prepare.

The Challenge/Rules
You will be given a list of presidential debate questions. Your job: to pick to CBUB characters from the database of the same universe to duel it out in a debate to become the leader of whatever area within their world you choose. You can be creative with the territories within their universes, but both character must come from the same realm (ex: Marvel, DC, Capcom, Sesame Street).

Now, your list of debate questions to choose from: Choose as many as you want and YOU CAN PICK YOUR OWN MEDIATOR FROM ANY UNIVERSE!

#2 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Should superheroes register their powers?
Should superheroes, all of them, have to register with law enforcement under real names?
Should superheroes be fined for the damages they caused?
Should superheroes be paid by the city/town/etc for their services?
Should superhero fights be televised?
Should supervillain fights be televised?
Should supervillains be rehabilitated, knowing the damages they cause if they escape?
Should superheroes who let supervillains escape or off with a warning be tried for criminal negligence/aiding a criminal/etc?
Should a death penalty be imposed on the worst or reoffending supervillains?
Should there be a vetting process to determine potential superpowers in infants?
Should there be an enforced cooperation between superhero and local police forces?
Should telepathic/mind control heroes/villains be allowed as lawyers or politicians?
Similarly, should heroes/villains with pheromone powers be allowed as lawyers or politicians?
Should super powered beings be banned from standing for certain jobs or civic roles?

#3 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Change the date! You have until Serge starts the site back up. Since it will be down near Thanksgiving. Whenever it
Comes back up, deadline!

#4 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

What if I pick characters from a non-superhero universe? Captain Kirk and Captain Picard will have differing opinions on interstellar relations with green women, but you'll only get blank stares if I ask them about the dangers of kids getting addicted to gamma radiation.

#5 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

A debate about the Prime Directive could be interesting. With one side arguing that it must be followed to the letter at all times, while the other side arguing that it is, at most, a guideline.

I would suggest thinking of(in the case of Picard/Kirk) some of the differences between them. And find something that would actually have importance, where they would be on opposing sides of the debate.

Of course, I don't make the rules of the November challenge, so these are only suggestions.

#6 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Neither of them follow the friggin directive.

But Trek is just an example I picked of a non comic universe; it could be the Looney Tunes Universe, or Mortal Kombat, or whatever. Superpowers and superheroes/villains are sort of limited as a question base, and with nearly infinite universes no one set of questions will apply to all of them.

#7 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't care what universe you use? I don't think I specified it had to be comic?

#8 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

I don't care what universe you use? I don't think I specified it had to be comic?

I think he was commenting on the "debate questions" you posed. All of them are directed at superheroes. Is the idea that someone like Picard/Kirk, will be debating one of those questions as well?

#9 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Actually, that kinda stuff sounds cool to me too, the Prime Directive from Star Trek, wether the Jedi Code should be revised from Star Wars, wether the Quarians should be allowed a new planet from Mass Effect. Those are all "big political questions" to me, and I'd be tempted to allow them, but it's up to the other judges too.

#10 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think he was commenting on the "debate questions" you posed.

Ah those. Yeah, my judges came up with those. I don't mind if you change superheroes to whatever...Klingons or something. Long as it makes sense.

#11 Confession FPT

Confession FPT

The Cacti Guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Lucha Libre, baby!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

welp. joining this. count me in.

#12 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I don't know if I'm joining the challenge but I did a rough draft semi-debate thing.

Should superheroes register their powers?

Steve Rogers: In a word, no. Where does one draw the line as to what constitutes a power? Must exceptionally smart people register? The extremely charismatic? Freedom is everyone's right.

Richard Rider: A person's right to freedom ends when another person's rights begin. What if we, the superhuman population as a whole decide to march down to Washington, to punish whoever we think is guilty. The government won't have any chance to respond, because they don't know how. Registration will help them in the event we do cross the line. We're not gods, we shouldn't act like it, we shouldn't put ourselves above the rest.

Rogers: You make it sound like we're going to turn into villains at the drop of the hat.

Rider: It isn't impossible. You see, in my experiences as a space cop, I have seen worlds akin to it. In one the Revengers stormed the capital, killed the President and assumed dominion. In another Thor set himself up as King. In another Hyperion did the same. All I suggest is to give the government a chance.

Should superheroes, all of them, have to register with law enforcement under real names?

Rider: Absolutely. I'm already a cop, a little oversight never hurts.

Rogers: Until they start telling you who the bad guys are. Superheroes are supposed to be independent, to bring down the criminals by themselves. It's tradition.

Rider: Tradition? It used to be tradition to treat African-Americans like trash, in several places people still do treat in like tradition. That is not a good reason, in and of itself. As for the other point...aren't criminals the guys in masks who break the law? Just because you have oversight doesn't mean you're being a tool.

Should superheroes be fined for the damages they caused?

Rogers: Should hurricanes be fined for the damage they cause? Not to mention, not every superhero out there is Tony Stark. To force them to pay for something they can't provide, that's extortion.

Rider: Can't pay the fine, don't do the crime. Really, if an individual has a throw down that levels a small town, someone should be held accountable. This was their fight. It may not be their fault, in fact it usually isn't but we don't cast blame, we accept responsibility. With great power comes great responsibility.

Should superheroes be paid by the city/town/etc for their services?

Rogers: No. It defeats the whole purpose of wearing a mask and doing it anonymously. We do it because we want to, because we're kind.

Rider: One thing we agree on.

Should superhero/villain fights be televised?

Rogers: No. Violence is something to be used as a last resort, not glorified.

Rider: I also agree.

Should supervillains be rehabilitated, knowing the damages they cause if they escape?

Rogers: Everyone deserves a second chance. Everyone.

Rider: These aren't people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. These are people who choose to commit crime, regardless of their reasons. They shouldn't be rehabilitated, they should be kept from the affluent members of society. I'd rather 100 villains lose their right to freedom indefinitely than let one seemingly repent and good people may the price, unlike my naive colleague here.

Should superheroes who let supervillains escape or off with a warning be tried for criminal negligence/aiding a criminal/etc?

Rider: Accountability is everything. Without oversight, we could do as we please and no one could do anything about it. That's not how it should be. So yes, if the criminal escapes from your watch, or worse still, you let him go, you should have some form of punishment. You let the dog off the leash.

Rogers: That's how it starts. Then the government decides to punish people who can change the weather for allowing it to flood, for being negligent.

Should a death penalty be imposed on the worst or reoffending supervillains?

Rider: Absolutely. An individual who shows he/she cares not for the rights of others to this extent should not expect the same rights to extend to them.

Rogers: No, it shouldn't. If we do that to our enemies, we're no different than them. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard. We have it in ourselves to be the better men.

Rider: Then we should prove it. If a villain from death row gets an appeal and breaks free, all the crime he/she commits is on your hands. And if we were to utterly incapacitate these villains to prevent escape...well, there are fates worse than death. And that is one of them.

Should there be a vetting process to determine potential superpowers in infants?

Rogers: Now the government is investigating in the womb. It's no different than seeing communists in our soup.

Rider: Better a womb investigation now then a potential murder investigation later.

Rogers: "Those who would give up liberty for a little safety deserve neither."

Should there be an enforced cooperation between superhero and local police forces?

Rider: Yes, key word cooperation. When we all work together, we do better. When we fight, the bad guy does better.

Rogers: Agreed.

Should telepathic/mind control heroes/villains be allowed as lawyers or politicians?
Similarly, should heroes/villains with pheromone powers be allowed as lawyers or politicians?

Rider: I can't see that working. We'd have to be on an honor system or else power would be grabbed.

Rogers: Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

#13 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

If you're not joining, don't post that crap.

#14 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm still mulling it over.

#15 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys, just a reminder... November is going to be very maintenance intensive. The site could be down several days starting the 19th.

Not sure if you want to run it this month.

#16 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

While it would be a shame if the Challenge were postponed, maintenence would be a good thing.

Anything to kill the mass guest-posting bots.

#17 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'll just extend the deadline indefinitely.

#18 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hey guys, just a reminder... November is going to be very maintenance intensive. The site could be down several days starting the 19th.

Not sure if you want to run it this month.

Hey Fox, this is OT, but what are you going to be working on this time?

#19 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Anything to kill the mass guest-posting bots.

I'm sure you'll miss them. :P

Pretty sure this is what'll be going down, Z.

#20 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I am moving the website to a new host and a new server. And I will be fixing some bugs. And, that whole guest post thing probably isn't working out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users