#1 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

And we're back, the results are in and tallied, so without further ado we bring you the results of the October CBUB Monthly Challenge:

THIRD PLACE with the score of 4.5
Dskillz

SECOND PLACE with a score of 4.6
Doom

And the FIRST PLACE WINNER with a total score of 4.9 is
Boratz with Sam and Dean Winchester vs. Slender Man

Here's what the Judges thought of his setup:

Culwych
5 out of 5
This one was great. It felt like straightout of a damn episode of that Supernatural show and built up on the... whatever the term is. It built it up. It didn't immediately go from Slender Man killing that dude and the sheriff to Sam and Dean immediately finding it and shooting it or something silly.

Treacherous
Supernatural gang vs. that Slender Fellow
Theme (Following those crazy rules) –
5.0 Easiest part so far. Followed the rules to a T.
Confrontation Arrangement (How well did you put together this confrontation? Did it make sense for this to happen?) –
5.0 Did a great job here. Even gave us a little background on the villain and why one of the brothers was obsessed. Very good.
Grammar/Spelling (Because this sort of thing is important in a writing challenge) –
4.5 Not many issues, a few sentences are a little weird, but it wouldn’t be something a spellcheck on Word would pick up; try stepping away from your story and coming back for a proofread later. Look at it with fresh eyes.
Entertainment Value (or the Scary Factor) –
4.5 A bit more spooky than the rest. Especially the first scene. After the brothers show up, it slides off a little to joking around, but overall it was entertaining. A bit long.
Fighter Parity (How well do these guys match up?) –
5.0 I wasn’t too sure on the Supernatural guys and Slender is a bit mysterious, but after a little research, these two pair up just fine. It’s good.

Boratz
4.5/5
Excellent setup with good intro and the added humour makes it all that better. Good descriptions as well as dialogue and the brothers are in character. The story flows naturally towards the final confrontation. Epic.

Congratulations Boratz, your match is going in the Outstanding Match Ups thread and your name is going in the CBUB Hall of Fame as writer of the Month. Outstanding job.

#2 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Congrats to you Boratz, and from now on, I think I'll be studying some of these qualifications to understand better the criteria I should be holding in account.

#3 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

November Challenge coming soon. Very soon.

Also Z, I'm the only person that lists my criteria for judging. The others have some sort of personal thing or something.

#4 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Just so you guys know I had to watch some youtube clips of an Indonesian movie about spirits and a few episodes of Supernatural (which I've never watched before) to judge these.

#5 Doom

Doom

RP Community Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

*Smiles and claps* Bravo Boratz.

#6 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Just so you guys know I had to watch some youtube clips of an Indonesian movie about spirits and a few episodes of Supernatural (which I've never watched before) to judge these.

Much appreciated. Again, I apologize for lack of dubbing and or subtitles on that, it seems those were rare for this film as I have yet to find either.

#7 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Looks like you won't have to cry yourself to sleep now, Boratz. :P

Congratulations. This is well-earned for you. Something told me you'd win one of these things one day.

#8 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Good job to everyone. Special recognition to Doom and Skillz. My personal favorite was Doom's with Boratz a close second, but that's why there are three judges.

#9 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Congrats to Boratz! And a round of congratulations to DSkillz and Doom, those were pretty cool too.

Actually, I'll happily admit that I've enjoyed alot (almost all) of the entries for these things, they are pretty good.

Congrats to you Boratz, and from now on, I think I'll be studying some of these qualifications to understand better the criteria I should be holding in account.

As treacherous pointed out (and I'm sure I've said elsewhere) I don't have any sort of criteria like some of the other judges. My scores are based on how well I enjoyed the set up. I do take grammar and such into account, but I don't have a breakdown of points that go into an overall score like treach did here. That being said, I do dislike entries that are part of story arcs because I feel the entries should be self-contained stories on their own (I don't score them down, but I do get a bit frustrated at not having the entire story) and I dislike script style entries.

#10 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Nice job mang.

#11 Culwych1

Culwych1

Official Match Board Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Congratulations Boratz; a well deserved victory. All participants had great stories and this was definitely a tough one to judge.

#12 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

I must admit, I'm just a little curious on what the judges thought of the other matches this time out, especially being that the results were apparently tough to determine.

#13 Boratz

Boratz

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thank you, I do appreciate it and I will in fact sleep peacefully tonight. I will probably cry tomorrow and the days ahead because I am a friendless dwarf of a person. I do want to say that I really really enjoyed all the other stories in this competition. I saw humor, horror, and happiness in this here October Challenge of 2012.

#14 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

I must admit, I'm just a little curious on what the judges thought of the other matches this time out, especially being that the results were apparently tough to determine.

I could post my scores if you want?

#15 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Looks like someone made a typo with the front page results :P. i.e., Third Place.

#16 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Looks like someone made a typo with the front page results :P. i.e., Third Place.

:o

I could post my scores if you want?

Sounds good. I think at least some of the others would like to hear them as well.

#17 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

November challenge will start hopefully Friday.

#18 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Legacy
3 ouf ot 5
It was pretty cool actually, since it treats the Power Rangers as being normal dudes without the suits on (which I don't remember if that is how it works in that universe, I thought they were always super-tough and strong but the suits just gave them... you know, suits). I like the idea of... whatever turning the haunted mansion into a real haunted mansion and bringing the costumes to life.

Boratz
5 out of 5
This one was great. It felt like straightout of a damn episode of that Supernatural show and built up on the... whatever the term is. It built it up. It didn't immediately go from Slender Man killing that dude and the sheriff to Sam and Dean immediately finding it and shooting it or something silly.

ND7
2 out of 5
There were a few things I didn't like about this, mainly that it's not a self-contained story as it's part of an arc that I sorta had to figure out as I read. So Pinhead is somehow hosting some sort of that makes a bunch of horror movie dudes fight each other. Alright. But... I mean, half the set up was pretty much irrelevant to the actual fight, the entire part with Ash and the Creeper could have been cut and it would basically be the same. That's the reason I gave this a low score, these entries shouldn't be part of arcs because arc stories rely on, well they relly on the arc itself to set up a story, something I'm not sure the judges should be expected to read for this, they should be self-contained stories.

bigballerju
3 out of 5
As I've said before, I dislike the script style writing where each line of dialogue is cut off from any sort of paragraph of description or the sort. But beside that it wasn't great to me, it was ok. That's what I get from this entry, it was ok.

Doom
5 out of 5
This one, like Boratz, was great. It built up the suspense instead of going for the direct route of a quick confrontation.

Z451
3.5 out of 5
It was hard to understand at first since it's based off of a foreign film, but a quick Wiki search for the movie itself and for the kuntilanak and pocong terms pretty much explained it all, though I still had to guess at the actual "rules" of these creatures. Other than that though, I thought it was cool since the horror aspect comes more out of fear of loved ones being killed than the monster itself.

Corvette1710
2.5 out of 5
The set up itself was alright except that none of the characters seemed in character. Freddy didn't seem to talk like he did in the movies (he talkes more like a teeneager doing a job he didn't like) and Slender Man doesn't talk I'm pretty sure. All of that hurt my enjoyement of the set up even if the story itself wasn't that bad (two dieties sending avatars to regain territory).

DSkillz
4 out of 5
This was pretty funny but it kinda doesn't make sense as a Halloween entry you know?

ThePhenomenalOne
3.5 out of 5
I dunno, since I don't watch that Walking Dead show I didn't really care for any of the characters, I'm not even sure what the names of the dudes' family are.

If you disagree with anything I say... well, you could probably request to become a judge too.

#19 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Heh, ah well.

#20 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

The guys from the Walking Dead weren't even in Phenomenal's setup. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users