• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

OK, so I was just surfing gamesradar and know your meme, when I came across something known as 'Lavender Town Syndrome'. Basically, loads of Japanese kids were commiting suicide after hearing the Pokemon Lavender Town theme, which is supposed to be seriously creepy (I haven't actually listened to it, just in case). It was apparently changed for foreign releases. This is why I never liked the Pokemon franchise. Just too creepy for my tastes.

While not everyone who heard it commited suicide, most got headaches and could keep hearing it in their heads even after it stopped playing. I think the high-pitched frequencies may have an effect on the undeveloped brains of kids who played the games.

However, all this could just be a load of bullcrap. Apparently, a lot of gamers have looked at the Gameboy files for the games, and found animation format that the Gameboy didn't have. Could all this be just one big, sick hoax? What do you think?

#2 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

OK, so I was just surfing gamesradar and know your meme, when I came across something known as 'Lavender Town Syndrome'. Basically, loads of Japanese kids were commiting suicide after hearing the Pokemon Lavender Town theme, which is supposed to be seriously creepy (I haven't actually listened to it, just in case). It was apparently changed for foreign releases. This is why I never liked the Pokemon franchise. Just too creepy for my tastes.

While not everyone who heard it commited suicide, most got headaches and could keep hearing it in their heads even after it stopped playing. I think the high-pitched frequencies may have an effect on the undeveloped brains of kids who played the games.

However, all this could just be a load of bullcrap. Apparently, a lot of gamers have looked at the Gameboy files for the games, and found animation format that the Gameboy didn't have. Could all this be just one big, sick hoax? What do you think?

Eh it's just a rumor. There were no confirmed deaths linked to the Lavender Town theme from R/G/B Pokemon. Although there is a bunch of cool Creepy Pasta about if you're into that.

#3 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Interesting... Why the hell do they need to change things, when they bring them over? Just translate, nothing else. Now I'm curious what the actual tune was, though.

#4 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

The only real medical problem associated with Pokemon was the seizure incident with the Porygon episode of the TV show.

#5 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

:blink: People had seizures? It's Twilight... before Twilight!

#6 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I don't think it's that bad.

#7 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

...This thing is an urban myth. It first surfaced on Creepypasta, so it falls into the same category as the likes of the Slender Man and Jeff the Killer legends. The Japanese version of the Lavender Town theme was, in fact, no different to the American version-- to support the "myth", a couple of Creepypasta users created a YouTube video with an edited version of the theme. The video makes use of binaural tones to elicit feelings of anxiousness. Here's the video:

The binaural tones begin at 8:50, and they supposedly only work properly when you're wearing headphones. But yeah, the entire thing is fake.

#8 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

...This thing is an urban myth. It first surfaced on Creepypasta, so it falls into the same category as the likes of the Slender Man and Jeff the Killer legends. The Japanese version of the Lavender Town theme was, in fact, no different to the American version-- to support the "myth", a couple of Creepypasta users created a YouTube video with an edited version of the theme. The video makes use of binaural tones to elicit feelings of anxiousness. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2iLnTR9V8

The binaural tones begin at 8:50, and they supposedly only work properly when you're wearing headphones. But yeah, the entire thing is fake.

Thank... God...

#9 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

If it were possible for Pokemon to drive someone to suicide, don't you think I would have been hanging from a rafter somewhere by now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users