• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

I know that making characters and matches and RP'ing takes up a lot of time and creativity. Then there is real-life. And on top of that, you may not have a good idea for a match.

But why not post your own match once a month or something like that? Instead, all you see are bland randomly generated fights. Anyone think that's why the FPL doesn't get much new blood?

#2 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I don't do it with my own characters because I make like two dozen a week for the rest of y'all. And I guess everyone else doesn't because they know that I'll do it for them.

#3 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'm a busy man. I already write a lot for the FPL. Sometimes I'm doing BigFics instead of little ones.

#4 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

@deo-not for your own characters? You can do that? The match creator wouldn't let me make a match with someone else's characters.

@pseudonym-That's understandable. I'm sure I'll get around to making longer fics eventually. Speaking of which...what do you guys think about using FPL matches to determine the outcomes of Fanfic fights?

#5 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm against it. The winner of a fic fight is determined by narrative necessity, not democratic vote.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I didn't because the majority of my characters were over 500. But I did lots of set ups before that.

#7 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I didn't because the majority of my characters were over 500. But I did lots of set ups before that.

Pretty much.

#8 unnaturalScience

unnaturalScience

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

I've been doing a few setups (3/5 so far). Sadly, real life demands most of my attention, else I'd have more characters and more setups by now.

#9 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

I know that making characters and matches and RP'ing takes up a lot of time and creativity. Then there is real-life. And on top of that, you may not have a good idea for a match.

But why not post your own match once a month or something like that? Instead, all you see are bland randomly generated fights. Anyone think that's why the FPL doesn't get much new blood?

If you're looking for ways to get more new blood, i.e. ease the transition from CBUB to FPL. Then why not encourage fanfiction on CBUB? I.e. fictional stories other than the CBUB matches, featuring the various fictional characters that are already used in CBUB matches.

Writing that kind of fiction, as opposed to matches, is more similar to the fiction written on FPL, and would make it easier to switch between the two.

Maybe doing it as a contest/tournament, similar to the current monthly tournament on CBUB. But with fanfiction stories, instead of CBUB matches.

#10 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

If you're looking for ways to get more new blood, i.e. ease the transition from CBUB to FPL. Then why not encourage fanfiction on CBUB? I.e. fictional stories other than the CBUB matches, featuring the various fictional characters that are already used in CBUB matches.

Writing that kind of fiction, as opposed to matches, is more similar to the fiction written on FPL, and would make it easier to switch between the two.

Maybe doing it as a contest/tournament, similar to the current monthly tournament on CBUB. But with fanfiction stories, instead of CBUB matches.

They're kind of already doing that, well those that decide to write arcs anyway. I'm not particularly interested in bringing in CBUB vets anyway, but new blood entirely. We do have a couple new faces walking around and spreading the word on other creative writing sites that you visit(without spamming) could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users