#1 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

It seems to me that the FPL is the writing place around here and it seems to me that the set ups for FPL matches are made and then disappear without a trace. It seems to me that some of these set ups are really good and need to be memorialized. Seems to me, the Outstanding FPL Set Ups thread had to be made.

Post your favorite FPL Set Ups. (Also, go set up some matches and write some, so we can post them later)...

Also, don't post your own set ups. Nobody wants to see that.

#2 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Lord Greenwood vs. Old Roger: The Monarch vs. the Pirate - By Ivan

The game of three is quite old. The King, the General, and the Chemist. Aristotle taught it to Alexander, along with the secret of the game. The secret is not winning. Anyone can win. The secret is to not lose, to simply keep playing for as long as possible. Caesar played it. Rasputin played it. Ben Franklin played it very well.

There are always three. Elizabeth invented a new way to play. She had help from John Dee and Francis Drake. The Monarch, The Philosopher, and the Pirate. Playing the game is the key to building empires. Imperialism is referred to as "the creation and maintenance of inequality." The game is quite old.

A popular maxim among history professors is that you can find any problem in the world and trace its history back to the British Empire. This is unfair. It is also probably true. Among the threads of history, only three remain constant. Occasionally, they cross one-another. When this happens, it is important to remember: the secret is to keep playing, for as long as possible. The Monarch vs The Pirate.

#3 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Note: the best ways to find a good FPL set up is to go to the battles page and sort by Most Viewed or Most Replies. Usually, those are the matches with the set ups.

#4 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Fine, I'll just do this myself... (For Sirmethos and whoever it was who wanted an easy place to read FPL fictions.)

Serif vs. Boiling Point Inc. by Landon

This current crop of killings were weird. Even for a bastard like me. At first it looked like the victims had done themselves in. Self-inflicted starvation. Suicide by denial.

But once you looked past the bloated stomachs and atrophied muscles, you saw a devious pattern. The look frozen on the face of each corpse was that of shock. A guy who's planning to off himself doesn't look surprised when death comes calling. I've seen that look all too often. If you want to die, you're either waiting eagerly of balling your eyes out in shame. You aren't looking as if the Reaper came calling unwarranted.

And it wasn't just that. It wasn't just the look of some shmoe who got whacked out of nowhere. Each of the victims had the look of a politician who just died of a heart attack while in the bed of a high-priced call girl. That look right on the edge of surprise and ecstasy. But there were no women of the night within sight. No hint of sickly perfume or a kiss of lipstick on the collar. These guys were enraptured, but it wasn't the flesh that was the tempting serpent.

But that's where the trail goes cold. The police can't find anything linking these cases beyond the circumstances. No calling cards. No threatening letters. None of the victims have been in the same zip code at the same time. It's total dead end.

Not that I've ever been stopped by a dead end. That's why I was called in. I bring dead ends back to life. But I'll get to that later. For now, I just can't put this book down that I found at the scene of the last murder. Damn. This girl knows how to weave a tale.

Tonight. Yeah. Tonight I'll get back on the case.
Tonight.

Zombie Girl vs. Silver’s Hammer by Landon

“Remember the good old days?”

“What good old days?”

“When Khazan was all about guys in capes and evil mustache-twirling mad scientists and stuff.”

“When did that happen?”

“The good old days, man. Back in the day. Back when it was all about that stuff they based all the comic books on. Square jaws and utility belts and Gods in Speedos.”

“Dude. Seriously. When did that ever happen here?”

“Before we had zombies and demon imps messing up the joint. It’s like a Dawn of the Twilight infestation or something up in here with all these moody movie monsters. I’m just waxing nostalgic about when you’d look up in the sky and see a caped silhouette across the moonlight.”

“And again dude, you still haven’t answered my question. I’ve lived here as long as you and I don’t remember these so-called good old days. Remember when we were kids and some lazy dude in a suit or armor fought a fucking penguin? Those are the good old days.”

“That was the exception, man. Remember Captain Khazan? That dude was awesome. And Supercomrade? They fought peeps like that speedster cat chick and the dude who ran around in a chef’s suit with super-powered meat cleavers. Real comic book stuff.”

“No dude. No one remembers any of that because it never happened. Shut up. It’s always been like this. That one dude that wrote those comics said that he was inspired to make these simple, black and white morality comics because the real world was filled with all sorts of weird shit going down that was beyond our mortal comprehension. When you got Avatars of Chaos blowing up floating towers and Imps trying to make out with Zombie Girls, you gotta look to something simple for solace.”

“Man, I don’t know what you were smoking when we were kids, but that isn’t what I remember. All this dark and bleak stuff is all newfangled for me. I want those old days back.”

“Dude. Shut up and watch the Imp jumping on top of the Ghoul’s head. This is good stuff. Just as good as the old stuff. The same as the old stuff.”

#5 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

God (or whatever deity you love) bless this fiction. The Watermark Incident from the old FPL written by all the people from back in the dayz (including me!).

And because Penelope Whatshername is back. All Hail the Queen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users