51 replies to this topic

#21 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Ok, here's something messy I made in paint this morning. Obviously, none of this is set in stone.

Posted Image

Also, here's something even messier because I had the time.

Posted Image

#22 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Woah, I thought Levent Avionics was one lab. It takes up nearly half of SciSec?

#23 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

... half? err... the arrow points to the pink section, it doesn't split Moebius in two. Like I said, it's a sloppy drawing. The above-ground portion takes up about 10% of SciSec by surface area. They've got a good 8 mile stretch, but it's only about a mile wide.

#24 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Wow, okay. I think 10% of the area going to one Avionics lab is a lot for just one organization. Especially considering the majority of it is underground.

#25 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

In Real Life, Lockheed Martin operates 5 research labs, and 9 manufacturing facilities, in addition to having test facilities at several airports and US Airforce bases. They have over 125,000 employees. Boeing and Northrop Grumman have similar setups. I've just consolidated a major defense contractor's holdings into one eight mile strip, for the sake of narrative convenience. Considering LeVent is far and away Khazan's largest aerospace & defense contractor, it isn't all that unusual. Building aircraft requires space to design, construct, launch, test, and sell them. Yes, a whole lot of the SkunkWorks stuff, anti-grav, directed energy, and simulation all goes on underground, but at the end of the day, a 60,000 lb transport aircraft still needs to get into the actual air to be useful. Eight square miles is not really that large, considering. (By comparison Khazan International is 6 square miles, about the same size as LAX.)
I'd be less surprised by your reaction if people were chomping at the bit to create multinational R&D entities and stuff them into Moebius, but as-is I don't think anyone else has even mentioned the sector in their writing. If it turns out that the other 90% of the available land isn't enough for everyone else to do what they need to, we can talk about changing it.

#26 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

That makes sense.

I like the map. I think it's cool. I'm surprised more people aren't tossing their two cents into the ring.

Also, I've been in and out of Moebius a bit in my writing. There was one character I wrote who was a roboticist. I gotta pick that guy back up.

#27 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

*Throw two cents in*

Pseudonym, you're just about the only person that discusses the Fantasy Powers League battles in any real detail as well.

#28 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

I like the FPL. I like Khazan. I like talking and thinking about it. It's frickin' cool. Sure, the actual FPL game with the killfloor is one way to look at and talk about our character creations. But the FPL Battles threads is another, equally good one. Creating the Geography of Khazan City is another equally good one. Creating the history of Khazan is another equally good one. I don't know, this is just some awesome stuff here that we're doing. Arting together as one group of people to create this big shared canon.

I like it, so I talk about it a lot.

#29 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Whatever you guys decide on I'll probably accept.

#30 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yeah but that's not the point. We're not creating canon for you, we're creating it with you. I guess you can choose to be unenthused about this part of canon but like you can't have canon handed to you in a shared writing project.

#31 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well this sorta stuff isn't my forte so I'll gladly use a world handed to me.

#32 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Here's a place.

#33 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

January Docks

January Docks is a section of coast on the south side of Khazan City. It stretches for about a half a mile down the shore. There is a series of docks of various sizes for incoming ships into Khazan. January Docks is famous for its high priced, high quality ship repair. Most of the docks are trade docks, but there are four cruise docks as well.

The Docks were named by their original builder Nora Crystal. Nora was a famous pirate who terrorized the Baltic Sea in the late 18th century. She was known as Tess Grimm and her ship was known as the Melancholy January.In the 1790s, a woman with an outrageous amount of money started up a dock to facilitate seatrade to and from Khazan. This woman was Nora Jones. After she died, her diary was released to the public, revealing her to indeed be the same person as Tess Grimm. Nora Crystal died in 1810. Ownership has passed through many hands since then. Each owner has expanded January Docks until it went from accepting one boat at a time to over fifty as it does today.

The surrounding area in from the coasts is also known as January. Some call it January Town, January Area, some just call it January. There are a lot of hidden places in the neighborhood. Some walls are secret doors. Many houses have hidden cellars. Some of the sewer lines lead to completely furnished underground houses. Secrecy and hiding is part of the neighborhood of January down to its architecture. The place is clandestine to its bones.

Some say there exists a map which reveals all the secrets of the town, but no one knows quite where it is. Owners since the 1920s have denied the existence of such a map.Sources disagree on how old the map is, who made it, what it looks like, how big it is, and other details about the nature of the map. Everyone agrees though, that whosoever finds the map can follow it straight to Captain Grimm's store of pirate treasure.

#34 unnaturalScience

unnaturalScience

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

The FPL FAQ tells me that,

“Khazan is the nexus of all realities, where everything in the Omniverse can go to. […] [It] is not on Earth. It is on its own planet, also called Khazan. It has one moon (now, after an incident in the past involving a giant space station with a happy face painted on it), and Khazan is the biggest, most important city. In fact, it's the most important city in the whole Omniverse.”

But then I turn from that to this thread I find that, “Khazan is a small island (like, maybe Ireland sized) in the south Atlantic. Khazan City is the only major metropolis on the island, located on an Eastern peninsula”.

Is only one of these descriptions accurate, and if so which? If both are true how are they related?

#35 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Khazan is a small island in the south Atlantic...

#36 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Give me a sec Unatural...I'll feel you in.

#37 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Kinky.

#38 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

That's just my Gangnam style.

#39 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Kinda delayed reaction(since I don't think I've ever looked in this thread before), but I like how, in Ivan's map, Lowtown looks like a dragon that's eating Dockside. ^^

#40 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

So yeah, the online FPL FAQ is waaaay outdated. Everything you're going to need to know about the new FPL is mostly on this FPL FAQ. Oh and Khazan is now an island, yes.

Start on this thread with the geography, then go to actual locations, me personally, I would go here for all my power descriptions, learn Khazan's history as it has been written (There are very good links on that thread) and learn about the most popular teams.

Need anything else, I'll point you in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users