Photo
- - - - -

Khazan's Bestiary - The Encyclopedia of the Un, Sub, or Supernatural by Stockholm Absalom

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

If you are reading this book, you are probably aware that this world contains beings beyond the scope of what we call "natural". If you weren't aware, now you are. This book is here to provide you with the tools and knowledge to handle a situation that may exceed the bounds of what you expect to see in your day to day.

Monsters, Angels, Demons, Spirits and some things that didn't even have names until I made them. Turn the page and begin reading.

---

Name: Wendigo
Classification: Natural
Entry #100-

Wendigos: spirits of the winter and a bunch of nasty bastards all of them. They come about when a corrupted soul dies in the snow. For a soul to become truly corrupted Sometimes it's just murder, normally it's worse. The transformation goes slowly, it starts with a deep depression. Then it moves to suicidal thoughts. People who go to lie out in the snow until the frostbite gets to their heart become Wendigos. Other deaths bring about other fates.

The Wendigo is a beast much like the werewolf in appearance, it's important not to confuse the two. Wendigos have shaggy fur that covers their entire body They also have dangerous, sharp claws on their hands and feet and walk crouched over. They are about seven feet tall, but because of their hunch, they may appear shorter.

Very rarely does anyone see a Wendigo because Wendigos are almost always cloaked in darkness. Wendigos are beasts of the winter. They cloak themselves and the area around them in an area of lightless darkness. Wendigos become stronger based on how much they consume. Within a Wendigos darkness aura, it is very cold, to the point where mild frostbite can occur. A Wendigo's abilities are inextricably tied to the season of winter. They bring cold, darkness and death

The only known way to destroy a Wendigo is to introduce one to its opposites. They are almost indestructible by normal means - shooting, stabbing, crushing etc. The easiest way to destroy a Wendigo is to subject it to heat. Fire, steam, even sunlight in certain tropical zones.

Wendigo are destructive beasts. They hunt humans, trying to find the soul that they lack. They tear humans apart, often consuming the brain, heart, stomach or other organs. There was been one case in history of a Wendigo that found an intact human soul and took it into himself. His name is Larry and he loves cooking.
---

Everyone is free to add their own entries. If you write an anecdote, no matter how long or short it is, link it at the bottom of your entry and it'll be great because everyone can read it and it'll make everyone happy.

Have fun, send me PMs if you have suggestions or questions or whatever. Everyone jump in!

Note: Nothing here is exclusive at all. If you're writing "Werewolves" then you're only writing one type of werewolves. The Wendigo as Entry #100 is way different than Donny Foster, the Wendigo who just died in New Eden. That's okay, nothing is invalidated and I could totally hash something out with Donny Foster's creator if he wanted to keep that character up and running.

#2 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Entry: #138
Name: Rattathrope (Were-Rat)
Classification: Beast
Family: Therianthropes

The Common Were-Rat possesses similar traits to the classic Western European breed of were-wolf (Entry 2). Among the shared traits include contracting the curse condition via a bite or scratch from another of their species, enhanced senses, and an animal-human hybrid transformation which includes claws, fur, teeth, and increased physical abilities.

However were-rats differ from Lycanthropes in expectable ways. Their transformed forms resemble rats more than wolves, including shorter fur, bucked teeth, glowing red eyes, and long hairless tails. Where Lycanthropes transform into alpha predators, Rattathropes remain more likely to turn scavenger. A werewolf may wake up in a puddle of blood, a wererat in one of sewage. They prefer dark, secluded areas, such as tunnels, caves, or abandoned buildings.

Although they do not actively hunt prey, human or otherwise, wererats can be dangerous if threatened, and lack all reasoning powers their human selves may normally possess. Unfortunately the cycle of were-rat transformation is not as well known as it is for Lyncanthropes because it does not follow any lunar pattern. Because of this a Rattathrope cannot know when his next transformation will occur, making their population difficult to control.

As demonstrated by Mayor Bloomberg’s sanctioned purge of the were-rat population in the NYC subway tunnels, were-rats can be killed via silver bullet, decapitation, and incineration. In human form they can be killed as easily as any other man.

Entry: #722
Name: Ghoul (Bethesda Variety)

Classification: Undead
Family: Zombie/Vampire

The so called Bethesda Ghoul is a class of undead that seems to be an evolutionary half-step between the families of zombies and vampires. They should not be confused with other creatures using the nomenclature of ‘Ghoul’, such as the Sprite family Ghoul (as in ‘Ghouls and Goblins’/entry 903) or the so-called ‘Lovecraftian Ghoul’, a member of the demonic family (entry 630). Ghoul has also been used as a somewhat derogatory term by a certain powerful vampire breed (entry 791) to refer to mindless undead who are spawned when they (the vampires) drink the blood of a non-virgin. It was assumed that the virgins who are transformed by this method become true vampires, while the others turn into zombie-like ghouls. My research shows me that this is actually false, and that both groups are ‘true vampires’, but are part of a breed that has a dimorphic distinction in powers between the common underlings and the traditional vampires.

In any case, like other zombies, the Bethesda Ghoul is a walking corpse in one state of decomposition or another. However unlike most zombies, ghouls retain full consciousness and awareness of self. After a series of interviews with one of the ghouls in question, I can state that they do not seem to suffer from any loss of intellect or morality and retain the personality they had while still alive. They also do not eat brains, or at least profess not to, claiming that they don’t need to eat in any form whatsoever.

As undead, these specifics make them somewhat more similar to vampires then zombies. However they lack most of the well known vampiric traits and weaknesses. (as a side note, blood consumption is more likely to drive them into a super-powered rage, but is in no way necessary for them to survive).

How the Bethesda Ghoul is created is somewhat unclear, as the few I have managed to speak with conveyed that they became ghoulified after being attacked by more traditional zombie breeds, (such as the Romero Zombie (entry 701)), but upon re-animation, retained their mental capacities. It is possible that ghoulification is the result of a random trait dormant in a normal person, that prohibits them from full zombification. By my estimates, when examining the percentage of ghouls per zombie, this trait is present in less then 1% of the human population.

Ghouls retain all the normal moral codes they held as humans, though should you come across one that you feel you need to kill, the process can be time-consuming. There is no proverbial or literal silver-bullet for a ghoul, and they are extremely hearty with no particular weakspots, (not even headshots), and have in some cases put themselves back together after dismemberment. Offensively ghouls can offer greater than human strength, but little else.

The name refers to a fictionalized depiction of them in a series of Post-apocalyptian video games produced by a company named Bethesda Games, which my research assistant assures me, is an actual thing.

#3 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Pseudonym, this is perhaps the most awesomeest thing you've contributed to the FPL.

#4 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

It just goes up. I really want to use both of deo's now. Who else wants to fight Were-Rats in my next Pragmatist RP? I actually want to do the next one in Khazan City so we can start developing that.

#5 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Speaking of Zombies, I'm gonna meet Max Brooks tomorrow. So that's cool.

#6 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Name: The Originals
Classification: Vampire
Entry: 105
Only known member of the race: Jennifer Blood

In Transylvania their existed the birth place of the first vampires known to all beings on Earth throughout the centuries as the Originals. These vampires were rumored to have been born of a dark deep magic whose origins are unknown to this day. Many even said the first of this race made a deal with the Devil Lucifer himself. This would explain this race's twisted, dark, and evil view on the world. In their eyes its been said that doing evil deeds has always been the way to produce good. In reverse of course doing good will produce bad and evil things. I can't even begin to explain this warped and dark view on our world. I can tell you being the first of the vampires its been said they had abilities no other vampire has shown to date.

When a member of this race goes into their Blood Rage mode which is a berserker like ability where the site of blood triggers the fury uncontrollable monster within them. Their superior strength is said to grow more more powerful beyond belief. Other abilities this race is rumored to have is a amazing regeneration ability and super-human agility beyond human. Their most dangerous ability is to take drain the life force or energy of another being and use it to increase their own power. I am not too sure about this one. However I do know members of this race vary in power level so I am not too sure about how powerful they become and what other ability this power increases.

How do you kill them you ask? Well sunlight, wood, garlic, and all of that myth nonsense regarding killing vampires doesn't work. You simply would have to be powerful or smart enough to defeat a member of this race.

If you want to know how they look like their is a picture of the last known member of this race below. Her name is Jennifer Blood and she has been on a most deadly killing spree in Khazan at the moment.

You would be wise not to cross paths with this one...

Posted Image

#7 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

I think a Hunt for Jennifer Blood could also be a really fun plotline.

#8 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Entry 791-a
Name: Vampire Commanders
Classification: Demonic

These bastards are real trouble. If any of these guys make their way Earthside from whatever corner of the universe they exist in, it's up to some hero to kill them quick. They've got demonic speed and agility and sharp teeth that push through human skin like nothing. They're even pretty smart from what I can tell. One of'em almost outsmarted me once. If I hadn't etched a cross into the floor beforehand, I wouldn't be here writing this. These nasty monsters have one other ability that makes'em even worse. Everything they touch becomes a monster.

Whenever they suck blood, they put some of their filth inside. Whatever their corroded corner of existence has for blood swills around in a human's veins and it becomes something bad. And the worst thing is, what they become hinges on their virginity. If the victim is a virgin, then they become a vampire. Not a vampire commander, with the same abilities, just your average bloodsucker(See Chapter 11: The Classics).

If they're not a virgin though, they get rotted from the inside out. They're skin turns gray, they're hair falls out and they become a whole different kind of monster.

Entry 791-b
Name: Vampire Ghoul
Classification: Demonic

Created by a Vampire Commander, these ghouls are soulless abominations who will do whatever their commander wishes. The communication seems to be telepathic, so there is no indication what a vampire ghoul acts like separated from its master. Individually, these ghouls don't post much of a threat. Their bones are brittle and their flesh is weak enough that a good punch will make a ghoul burst like watermelon dropped off a building.

The only way to stop the ghouls for good though is to take out their commander. Every vampire commander I've encountered has had two weaknesses: Holiness and Cat Food. Now honestly, I have no idea why cat food works, but it does. In my experience, it repels demons 10 times out of 10. As for holiness, any faith will do. Dip something in holy water and stab him with it. I've seen a buddy of mine destroy a demon with a punch imbued with the spirit of Zen Buddhism.

Vampire Commanders are crafty though, and fast and strong. It won't be easy to get the jump on one.

#9 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'd argue to not try and make the "most powerful super-beings ever". Since this is an open list anyone could then create a global, or even cosmic version of that species and make the others look like chumps. Were-rats for example are interesting, without being amazingly threatening.

Speaking of, somebody I know should write entries for Incendia and Defensor.

#10 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'd also stay away from definitives as that limits (like Ivan said). Everything should be speculative as these are very very rare creatures.

I think I may make a spin-off here of Odierno's discoveries that he kept holed up in the temple now known as the Chaos Spire (ex: Monster of the Fathoms).

#11 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Well, BBJ just wanted to bring his character back into the consciousness, I reckon. Which is good, because I really want to set her up as the bad guy in a fic. As for me, I was just following deojusto's lead and maybe establishing some of the demonology of Khazan. Turns out they're allergic to cat food.

#12 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Entry: #134
Name: Ciconiithropes (Were-storks)
Classification: Beast
Family: Therianthropes

The common were-stork is one of the less impressive Therianthropes that have so far been discovered. Like other were-beasts, the were-stork gains its condition by surviving an attack by another who is already a were-stork.

In their transformed state the were-stork gains stalk like legs, an elongated neck, a long thin beak, wings, and a sparse covering of white feathers. It cannot fly, despite the occasional humorous attempt on behalf of beginner were-storks to try. Because it loses its arms in the transformation process (they turn into the wings incapable of flight), the were-stork has no means of attack or defense other than its needle shaped beak and spindly legs.

Were-stork transformation is guided by an internal biological clock, and were-storks will transform only during nights within their biologically determined mating period. This begins when a were-storks transforms and attempts to stalk and attack a human of the opposite sex, turning them into a were-stork as well, and allowing them to make horrid little were-stork eggs.

Along with the condition comes the stork’s natural predilection for life-long monogamy and devotion. After the event, many were-storks describe resentment about being turned into a were-stork against their consent, but both attackers and victims find themselves psychologically or mystically unable to leave their new partner even when they both return to human form, and often form relationships based on the clutch of young they must now bring up. (After hatching, the young were-storks appear human until reaching sexual maturity themselves, at which point the cycle repeats itself.)

The were-stork can be killed by holy silver, fire, or decapitation (the latter method being particularly easy do to the length of their necks.)

* I was once forced to read a film script about were-storks which made me write this.

#13 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I got to get my computer back up and running.

#14 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Dr. Odierno's Files: Huastec Temple Collection

Name: Burst Frogs

Posted Image

First Spotting: 1973 Mississippi, USA

Grouping: North American (former) Cryptid

Sub-Grouping: Amphibian/Humanoid

Burst Frogs (Also known as the Mississippi Mud Monster) are a strange, supposedly mutated species of humanoid creature that stands at roughly 4 feet tall. It walks upright with webbed feet, hands and a frog-like face. Its body is said to be covered in an unknown slippery substance (later inspection proves this substance to be a mixture of mud and a bodily secreted mucous). It was originally discovered in a Mississippi swamp by two hapless youngsters. One of the friends were eaten by the creature, the other ran away to tell the tale.

Burst Frogs are given the name, because of their inability to digest solid foods eaten and their strange waste removal. With a tongue measured at a full length of 24 ft., the Burst Frog can trap smaller animals of lesser strength and drag them into its waiting maw. The creature prefers to wait just below the surface of a watering hole and ensnare any unfortunate souls who traverse too close. Its body and tongue secrete a mucous substance that acts as a sedative on its victims. Once its quick lashing tongue finds its victims, the sticky secretion drugs them with the sedative as they are yanked into the creature's mouth.

As stated earlier, the creature does not digest solids, but its super-strong mouth holds the victim and squeezes all liquids and juices from their bodies, providing it with nutrients. The amphibian creature is known as a burst frog because as the creature feeds, its body expands to contain the massive amounts of fluids it ingests on a daily basis. Eventually the beast releases the excess waste in a shower of fluid from porous openings in its skin. The waste release is extremely toxic and acidic and a shower from the Burst Frog has been known to kill unsuspecting wanderers.

My crew and I were lucky enough to capture a specimen in a small Mississippi town after weeks of tiresome searching. Although well prepared, two dogs were lost to the creature and an intern lost an arm in the capture. It was eventually subdued with a Taser. The captive specimen has also been determined to have an average leaping of about 14 ft. The creature is amphibious and long periods of time without contact with water will eventually dehydrate and kill the creature. The specimen has taken well to its new surroundings in our hidden Huastec location.

#15 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Addendum: Upon further research, we have realized that the captured specimen is developing almost dog-like loyalty to us. Even as far as being allowed to leave the complex unattended (albeit with an invisible fencing collar) in order to explore its new surroundings. Due to regular healthy and tasty feedings within the complex, the Burst Frog always returns promptly awaiting its next “treat”. The Burst Frog may even be trained to become a guard for the complex. We were eventually looking to find the specimen a mate, but realized much to our fascination that when faced with captivity, the creature is capable of breeding unaided. We currently are nursing quite a large spawn of the creature. Much research is being completed from this astounding discovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users