21 replies to this topic

#1 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Made because of the apparent popularity of the first thread, and because I thought that this would give some interesting results as well.

Post 10 of your favorite series. Not necessarily the top 10, just 10 that are among your favorites. You are, just like in the first thread, welcome to discuss and comment, but keep in mind that it is a purely opinion based thread, there are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers.

I haven't asked for 10 of the 'worst' series, because I doubt that anyone would keep watching a series, past the first few episode or two, if they don't like it. But just as a bonus thing, and to keep to the name and idea of the thread, try to add a few series that you dislike.

As with the first thread, please add reasons with each one, both 'best' and 'worst'. :)

And just so we can get it over with, and don't all have to include it in the 'worst' section. I'll give an 'honorary' mention, to Days Of Our Lives, as quite possibly the worst series ever created, as well as being proof that some things are, in fact, endless. :P

#2 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

10 shows I love:

1. Smallville- As a Superman fan I loved how they build him up from Clark Kent to Superman and the problems he dealt with. Also loved the serious approach to it in the way it sort of grounded Superman in the real world. Clark Kent wasn't a perfect kid and had his own faults while growing up. His negative actions has some consequences to them. I liked the nods to Pre and Post Crisis Superman. It did a great job of expanding on other characters in DC Comics and actually doing great adaptions as well. Many...Many... reason why I loved it. In addition it had excellent character development and each season had a good story to it.

2. Battlestar Galactica ((Reboot)- I always liked the stories of man creates machine and machine turns on man since the first time I ever saw Terminator and Terminator 2. This was that turned up to a whole other level. The last of mankind fighting to keep their race alive and find a new home. A long and great journey I always love watching. Also loved their different and unique take robots. The human Cylons always interested me in how much robot they were and how much human they were as well.

3. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles- One of the best written Sci Fi shows that never got its due and its a shame. This was so well done you would have thought James Cameron was actually behind it. I am sure this show made him proud. Hell in alot of ways it even surpassed Terminator 2 in its portray of Sarah and John Connor. Derek Reese having a look of horror on his face as a Terminator did ballerina and another where he showed John his father Kyle as a young kid playing with Derek were some of the best scenes. I just rewatched Season 2 a couple of days ago. I wish their was some kind of tv movie that tells us what happens to John now in this future he is in.

4. Heroes- A great and realistic take on what would happen if people got powers in the real world. Great writing in Season One and Four. Season 2 was bad and half of Season 3 was decent. Sylar was one of my favorite villains and Peter was a good hero who you liked because of how good a person he was along with the challenges he faced.. Hiro was the best and the main hero of the series in a way. He had one of the two most powerful abilities. I also loved how he was a geek like all of us and had his best friend as a sidekick in his adventures.

5. Big Bang Theory- A show created for geeks that has won Emmys and proven just how much change for the better it has been for us Geeks over the years for a show like this to be so successful. Proof that everybody has a geek in them. It never stops making me laugh with throughout the seasons since the first episode. Love the characters.

6. Chuck- Action, Comedy, Drama, and some Geek all wrapped in one. One of my top favorite series along with the first two I mentioned. I could watch these a million times and not get tired. Great characters and stories. Chuck and Sarah are the two you come to love the most over the years with their relationship. You have the great best friend like brother Morgan, the Buy More, great family for support, and all of that.

7. Walking Dead- F**king awesome zombie show about trying to survive in such a world. Huge decisions have good or bad consequences. Its all about survival folks. Enough said.

8. Game of Thrones.- A great fantasy/medival type show that captures your attention from the moment you first watch it. Never been one to like these type of shows but this one is very good. Betray, war, love, deceit, lots of sex, action, and more.

9. One Tree Hill- Realistic view on teenagers dealing with real world problems from high school all the way up until they are adults and even dealing with their problems they face as adults. Good show.

10. Vampire Diaries- Alot of shows have love and drama. Just because this a vampire show and has love does not mean its another Twilight. Another then that awesome vampire show with great storytelling with twists and turns. Damien is f**king awesome and is one of the best characters developed for such a show. Smart, deadly, manipulative, a true killer, very creative, and more.

Honorable mentions of other good shows- Being Human (U.S version), Power Rangers, Supernatural, Rookie Blues, Falling Skies, Doctor Who, That 70's Show, and others.

Shows I disliked:

1. True Blood- F**king boring as hell. Even the Twilight films had their moments where they were interesting.

2. Dollhouse- Badly written show and one I knew from the start would get canceled.

3. The Cape- This is what happens when Hollywood attempts a superhero show and doesn't get at all how to do anything right when it comes to the genre without help from somebody that actually understands the genre as well as respects it for its great history.

4. Any Star Trek show- No matter which Trek show it is I find them all boring and uninteresting. Too much talking and nothing happening. I have watched a couple of episodes from most of them and each timed I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt I gave up.

5. Lois and Clark the Adventures of Superman- What a bad adaption of Superman. Hated this version of Superman. I am Superman fan but I can admit when its done wrong. Great Clark Kent and Lois Lane but horrible Superman. The bad stories throughout the Season and more didn't help either. When you have a bad version of Superman in the way he acts, speaks, and more you fail completely. The Perry White was done well and Lex Luthor was decent.

6. Blade tv series- Horrible version of Blade and a bad attempt.

7. Stargate SG-1 (I think that was the name)- I could never get into it. Hmm I don't know. It just was uninteresting plot wise along with the characters.

8. No Ordinary Family- Besides the family getting powers their was nothing to keep you watching. It wasn't that fun to watch like it should have been about a family with superpowers and no actual main plot for the Season to keep your interest. I knew it would get canceled from the first few episodes. It had great actors and actresses too which was sad. It just didn't have the right elements.

9. Birds of Prey- Their were two or three episodes I liked but then the rest were bad. Bad adaption overall in the end of Earth 2's Daughter of Batman. However great Oracle I must say.

10. Full House- When I saw some of these episodes from the reruns in the 1990s what a annoying and f**king stupid show.

#3 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

The Walking Dead
Sons of Anarchy
Smallville
Heroes
Lost
Justice League
Avengers: EMH
Breaking Bad
Walker, Texas Ranger

#4 Dr. Pymp(mex)

Dr. Pymp(mex)

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

good thread bro

10. Spartacus, what can I say, good fight scenes and the women are hot.
9.Prison Break, very cheesy, but kept me going while I traveled the US
8.Big Bang Theory, for all the nerds out there (plus they talked about who would win in comics)
7. Walking Dead, my xbox name is ZombieEater for a reason
6. The Simpsons, awesome show
5. Family Guy, same as above
4. Game of Thrones, the books are way better, but the show is good too
3. Californication, great women and made me want to be a writer (I suck though)
2. Kenshin, to this day (now actually) best anime I ever seen, not too unrealistic and based on real people (loosely), plus the music is just great, also tied is Death Note for making a good show out of basic elements
1. The Wire, I strongly suggest you watch it all the way through, so real and based on real people too, plus Omar Little is like the robinhood of the hood. There is more to it than that, great acting, great story and showed you that the Wire (and life) is like chess, when Bodie is a pawn and only moves forward while Snoop and Chris are Rooks that move like the chess pieces, with police corruption, sex, and not to mention the awesomeness of McNulty's drinking/sexing

Sirmethos tell us yours I am wanting to see your picks (I have the eye of the heart* Kenshin reference)

#5 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Electricferret.com

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

Favorites:

1: Monday Night RAW / WCW Nitro (I consider them to be more of a series than a sport).

2: Batman TAS

3: Justice League TAS

4: Spider-Man TAS

5: X-Men TAS

6: The Simpsons

7: Married With Children

8: Thunder Cats (Old school) TAS

9: Smallville

10: South Park

Most hated:

1: Dragon Ball Z (Not that it was a bad show, but when you're not into it and all the other kids try shoving it down your throat... your dislike grows.)

2: Pokemon (2003-present)

3: Loonatics Unleashed (Tried to ruin the biggest cartoon legends of all time)

4: True Blood (Too much gimmick)

5: Degrassi (All around stupid show)

6: Lost (Could not get into... just couldnt)

7: Any Power Rangers after "Zeo Rangers"

Those are the only ones that I have a personal hate for.... Wow. I like way too many Animated Series for grown man. -.-

#6 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

1. DBZ (Did anyone see that coming? Anyone? :P)

2. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (This and The Walking Dead are really the only two live action series I've gotten into, and stuck with.)

3. The Walking Dead (See above)

4-10. Not gonna list these. It's just gonna become a top anime or sitcom list, at this point. As I've said before, I don't watch much TV.

Hated:

Any soaps. They can all go die. Please and thank you.

#7 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Avatar: The Last Airbender, Futurama, Static Shock, Supernatural, That 70's Show, Yu-Gi-Oh (The early seasons), Poke'mon (Again, the early seasons), The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Smallville, and to end this list abruptly, Gargoyles.

Avatar was just one of those shows that I judged without watching. One day, flipping through channels at my uncle's house, there was an Avatar marathon. With nothing else for young G4 to watch, I caught the last fifteen minutes of the episode with toads, where everyone was sick. Sadly, I thought the show was terrible, but it just so happened I'd caught the most boring part of the series. Until the blue spirit showed up and started breathing fire, tossing away all my misconceptions. I gave the next episode a chance, and I'm glad I did. One of the greatest shows of all time right here, in my opinion. Zuko will always be to Avatar, what Charizard was to Pokemon.

Futurama is to me, the perfect blend of humor, technology, and unexplored concepts that we could only every imagine, at least for now. Evolution, the Big Bang, Time Travel, Biological Uplift, Nano technology, give me more!

Static Shock had what I perceived at the time to be the best powers ever. Inconspicuous, flight-granting, powerful, and perfect for a world of growing technology. I also loved that he was not an all powerful unlimited battery. When he struggled to lift heavy objects, you almost felt you were struggling too, with lightning coursing through your veins and an aura of static output surrounding your hands. Plus, a great many valuable lessons could be learned on a variety of problems very much life based. I got happy, sad, and blown away, sometimes all in the span of one half-hour episode.

Supernatural had really interesting characters. In fact, if you were in this show, you'd have to try pretty hard not to be liked, assuming you aren't the victim in the beginning, running through the cliche dark woods from the scary demon-vampire, only to trip, fall, and get mauled/eaten/dismembered/beheaded. That's another thing, they never backed down from showing good old fashioned blood and guts. And entrails. These guys also made me feel like I could do half the things they were doing, from drawing seals in blood, to blasting salt rounds at vengeful spirits. Bloody Mary was very creepy, by the way.

There was never an episode of That 70's Show that didn't make me laugh. It helps to know what they're talking about, hilarious references are full of win. Good Lord, is Kelso dumb or what? Too bad though, every movie I've seen him in since, I've initially assumed he was equally intellectual. Stigmas can hurt.

Yu-Gi-Oh was great in the beginning, when I could keep up with the cards and ever modifying rules. I fell of right after the season with monsters coming to life and attacking the city. Each season without Yugi himself is an affront to the damn logo! I like to pretend they don't exist, but dammit all, my little brother watches the newest one every Saturday morning. It's stupid, if not moreso, than all the preceding seasons without the true King of Games. But I rest my case.

I can pretty much tune in to any episode of Pokemon and not feel like I'm lost. All the classics were so memorable, there aren't many Mon I don't recognize in a blink. Except the ones that now resemble Chibi Digimon from the planet Endor. Perhaps that's exactly where these new designs come from.

Fresh Prince, I have the intro memorized by heart. It's an oldie, but I don't think it'll ever really die, at least, not for me. Heck, I still laugh out loud when Carlton does "the dance". Is he doing it right now, as I type?!?

Smallville was probably one of the first good live action transitions. Now mind you, I've never been fond of the idealistic Boy Scout, but Smallville did it just right. I was hooked the moment Lex Luthor hit young Clark with his shiny new car. Sadly, as the years went by, I found my appreciation for the series dying, but even still... It continued to have it's moments of saving grace. Although the season finale of the final season felt highly anticlimactic.

Gargoyles... What a great show. A cartoon from Disney, about flying monsters whose eyes glow, whose claws can shred metal, whose... Okay, okay. I especially loved the different gargoyle designs and the human interactions with the creatures. Sometimes admiration, mostly fear, but always interesting. And these guys had some pretty major obstacles to overcome at times, without traditional superpowers to rely on, even though their enemies had powers o'plenty.

#8 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

:lol: If I made a sitcom list, I'm fairly certain the three on yours would be on it. :D

#9 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

You know, it wasn't on my list, because I was trying really hard not to go over the limit the thread rules had set for us, but I'll mention DBZ for Rob's sake. I don't care what they say about you, I love you! Seriously, it's a classic, and saiyans punch really hard. I watch DBK with my little brother every Saturday I can, and Trunks just kicked Frieza's mecha ass so bad.

#10 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Lulz. People say things about me?
Posted Image

#11 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Lulz. People say things about me?
Posted Image

Gawd no, I meant the DBZ franchise. It gets a lot a heat, as I'm sure you're aware. =T

#12 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Heh.

#13 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Smallville
Sons of Anarchy
Supernatural
Scrubs
Walking Dead
Battlestar Galactica
How I Met Your Mother
Futurama
Archer
The Inbetweeners
Black Donnely's
Arrested Development

Honorable Mentions: One Tree Hill (but only for the relationship of Lucas and Peyton. I could care less about the rest of the show really.) Freaks and Geeks. The IT Crowd.

Dislikes:
DBZ (Always found it to be really, really stupid)
True Blood (It got to a point of being too ridiculous during Season 3.)
Heroes. Same as True Blood except earlier.
The Inbetweeners (US Version)

#14 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Almost every cartoon from the 90's.

That is all.

#15 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Best:

Doctor Who
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Supernatural
Sons of Anarchy
The Wire
Deadwood
Firefly

Honorable mentions: Smallville, Buffy/Angel, Batman TAS, Torchwood (this'd probably be in my top ten if previous seasons had maintained the quality of the last two), Stargate, Sanctuary, House.

Worst:

Leverage
Vampire Diaries
Mutant X

...Can't really think of any others I really dislike. I'll edit in reasons later.

#16 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Leverage makes me laugh. In a double edged sword kind of way.

#17 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Meh, I find it boring.

#18 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

I think the show just tries too hard at times, which gives it the sort of "Splash Effect" a Magicarp would have, even as it's giving it its all.

#19 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Not a full list, but I'll add to it later on:

Best:

Lie To Me: Good acting(tim roth in particular, is brilliant), and imo an extremely interesting premise. And as long as you know to take it with a grain of salt, you can learn quite a bit from it.

The Mentalist: Again, an interesting premise. And Simon Baker does a great job as Patrick Jane. Thoroughly enjoyable series.

Game of Thrones: Just plain brilliant. I can definitely recommend it to pretty much anyone.

Perception: Like Lie to me, and Mentalist, a highly interesting premise. Interesting, and funny, as well as educational. It's a pretty new series though(only 10 episodes out so far). And Eric McCormack does a great job as the paranoid-schizophrenic protagonist.

Burn Notice: Great acting, and I love the background monologue that's constantly running, explaining things. Which leads me to...

Dexter: Once again, an interesting premise. And like Burn Notice, I love the background monologue.

Big Bang Theory: Absolutely hilarious, and great acting.

Alphas: An interesting take on humans getting super powers, I like the, slightly more than usual, realistic take on it. Also, good acting. Dr. Rosen makes me want to punch him in the face, and Garry is just awesome.

Stargate: Putting all three of the SG series together. While there is the occasional episode that's kinda boring, the series as a whole is absolutely brilliant. The characters are interesting, and the universe as a whole is just awesome(despite the continuity errors).

Honorable mention: Fringe, first season was awesome, but it kinda went downhill from there.

#20 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

I've been thinking about getting into Perception, for a number of reasons. Would you recommend it for me? To put it in another way, without giving anything away, could you provide a little more on the show as a whole? I somewhat enjoy perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users