treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I miss Tarv's tournaments. :'(

You should miss Tarvius. He was good for CBUB. Then you should ask yourself why he left.

#42 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

You should miss Tarvius. He was good for CBUB. Then you should ask yourself why he left.

I miss him, too. He was my favorite mod, after all. You know, before DSkillz became one. ;)

#43 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

We all know you cast him out, Treach.

#44 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

We all know you cast him out, Treach.

Besides that.

#45 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

I don't know, that's something you have to ask yourself. How flawed is it? Its always going to be flawed in some way. Its not like a race, first one to cross the finish line is the best, its more subjective. Do you believe your spot on it was well-earned? I don't think my spot was.

Okay, once more it seems like you're implying there should be no improvement, simply because there will always be subjective flaws. Subjectively speaking, even if the list were immaculate and flawless, an evil person would find fault with it because it helps good people. I'm not content with leaving dog poop on the floor if I have the tools to clean it; poop stinks. I'm just trying to push the EF in the right direction, afterall, we're already moving. Might as well move forward for the sake of progress.

Anyway, I feel I earned my score, as did we all. But what about those instances where matches can't be bought off? In those cases, for which there are many, people don't get the right to even know how they would have truly scored, were the voting system a tad more fair to all. As it is now, that 5th place marker is just an empty symbol for all I know.

#46 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

By all means, have improvement. It wasn't my intention to suggest not to.

Who's to say that the matches that can't be bought off aren't how they were truly scored? I can't speak for the person/people doing their stricter ratings and thus can't discern a motive.

#47 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

It was an example of things that aren't necessary, Force. And if someone or more than one person is hate grading anonymously, than making yourself known is an active deterrent. Yes, people have a right to vote however they like, but how is what's happening conductive to a better writing environment? Frankly, it isn't. If we can grow past needless discouragement, we can be the best that we can be and see the EF in all it's shining glory. To be honest, some of the questions your asking have pretty obvious answers.

It's only needless discouragement for pussies anyway. In fact, I'm all for the hate grading, it keeps people who actually care about writing for writing in, and keeps the others out. If all you want is to see how you stack up against others, there's a tourney every freaking month.

Also, the notion that whoever did this is scared is one of the funniest things I've ever read. If it's an FPLer, he's laughing. If it's just a douche, he's laughing and feeling accomplished because now he knows for sure he can keep people from writing just by scoring them badly.

#48 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

By all means, have improvement. It wasn't my intention to suggest not to.

Who's to say that the matches that can't be bought off aren't how they were truly scored? I can't speak for the person/people doing their stricter ratings and thus can't discern a motive.

Who's to say? The website itself, administrators, moderators, Fox, but I suppose they could just be lying. True, it is next to impossible to discern a motive, at least from our perspectives.

#49 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

-snip-

"It's only needless discouragement for pussies anyway."

As much as I value you're opinion, this is something I don't even have to address.

"In fact, I'm all for the hate grading, it keeps people who actually care about writing for writing in, and keeps the others out."

You're all for hate grading, something that is widely known on this site to be harmful. Just clarifying. Writing for the sake of writing alone is something I've never stopped doing, even before I came to this site. Others can say the same. However, it's not as simple as you're making it out to be; there's something of a formula involved in the decisions that we make, and for myself and others, hate grading and other factors come into play with that formula. Also, hate grading is the intentional misuse of a system Fox Fingers set up on this site for a specific reason. Why use a hammer on a screw, when you have a screwdriver in your hand? That was another metaphor, I elaborate because you've shown a history of misunderstanding metaphors (statement of fact).

"If all you want is to see how you stack up against others, there's a tourney every freaking month."

Tournaments are based on singular set ups on a round to round basis. The aforementioned list is the sum of your history on the website since your inception. As you can hopefully see, one is much more credible in terms of true ranking, while the other may have a plethora of factors that come in to play which may very well influence the outcome. As an example, one may not have time to make the deadline. One might miss the deadline altogether, or have personal issues, family issues, emergencies, and the like. Those things have nothing to do with how good a writer one might be--and again, these are just a few examples.

"Also, the notion that whoever did this is scared is one of the funniest things I've ever read."

First off, I suggest reading more. There are much funnier things than chemical reactions in the body. If the person or people responsible for this issue were to come across this thread, they'd realize that their actions are not as anonymous as they initially thought. That the jig may be up, and an end may be coming for their irresponsible actions. Usually, when one is initially surprised or caught off guard, initial fear is a part of the formula to that particular reaction. If you'd like, I could talk about the specific bodily chemicals that actually relase fear upon the feeling of shock, unexpected discovery, ect.

"If it's an FPLer, he's laughing. If it's just a douche, he's laughing and feeling accomplished because now he knows for sure he can keep people from writing just by scoring them badly."

Those are your own personal assumptions, which seem to be quite detailed. Like I said, I don't think anyone here is writing any less than they were before, just not in that one aspect of the site. That isn't so much a victory as it is depriving the site of stories that could potentially be some of the best CBUB has to offer. Things are being written daily, things that could inspire new matches, ideas, even interests or careers, you never really know. Why withhold inspiration? It isn't as if it's going to affect the people who write only for the sake of writing negatively. Those guys will continue to write, so the matter now becomes withholding a population of writers for no particular reason. Besides, everyone is entitled to the credit which they've earned, and I'm not seeing particularly strong arguments on your end.

#50 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

"You are opinion?"

What?

#51 kwant

kwant

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Good reads.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

ok

#52 kwant

kwant

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Good reads.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Saiyans are rather lacking in brain power in general why think like a caveman? lol

#53 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

"It's only needless discouragement for pussies anyway."

As much as I value you're opinion, this is something I don't even have to address.

"In fact, I'm all for the hate grading, it keeps people who actually care about writing for writing in, and keeps the others out."

You're all for hate grading, something that is widely known on this site to be harmful. Just clarifying. Writing for the sake of writing alone is something I've never stopped doing, even before I came to this site. Others can say the same. However, it's not as simple as you're making it out to be; there's something of a formula involved in the decisions that we make, and for myself and others, hate grading and other factors come into play with that formula. Also, hate grading is the intentional misuse of a system Fox Fingers set up on this site for a specific reason. Why use a hammer on a screw, when you have a screwdriver in your hand? That was another metaphor, I elaborate because you've shown a history of misunderstanding metaphors (statement of fact).

"If all you want is to see how you stack up against others, there's a tourney every freaking month."

Tournaments are based on singular set ups on a round to round basis. The aforementioned list is the sum of your history on the website since your inception. As you can hopefully see, one is much more credible in terms of true ranking, while the other may have a plethora of factors that come in to play which may very well influence the outcome. As an example, one may not have time to make the deadline. One might miss the deadline altogether, or have personal issues, family issues, emergencies, and the like. Those things have nothing to do with how good a writer one might be--and again, these are just a few examples.

"Also, the notion that whoever did this is scared is one of the funniest things I've ever read."

First off, I suggest reading more. There are much funnier things than chemical reactions in the body. If the person or people responsible for this issue were to come across this thread, they'd realize that their actions are not as anonymous as they initially thought. That the jig may be up, and an end may be coming for their irresponsible actions. Usually, when one is initially surprised or caught off guard, initial fear is a part of the formula to that particular reaction. If you'd like, I could talk about the specific bodily chemicals that actually relase fear upon the feeling of shock, unexpected discovery, ect.

"If it's an FPLer, he's laughing. If it's just a douche, he's laughing and feeling accomplished because now he knows for sure he can keep people from writing just by scoring them badly."

Those are your own personal assumptions, which seem to be quite detailed. Like I said, I don't think anyone here is writing any less than they were before, just not in that one aspect of the site. That isn't so much a victory as it is depriving the site of stories that could potentially be some of the best CBUB has to offer. Things are being written daily, things that could inspire new matches, ideas, even interests or careers, you never really know. Why withhold inspiration? It isn't as if it's going to affect the people who write only for the sake of writing negatively. Those guys will continue to write, so the matter now becomes withholding a population of writers for no particular reason. Besides, everyone is entitled to the credit which they've earned, and I'm not seeing particularly strong arguments on your end.

Either you're stupid or you're not getting something.

First of all, it is something you should address, because it's true. It's only needless discouragement for people who I don't care if they write or not anyway, because they're, quite simply, pussies.

Second of all, I'm just dying for you to show that I "have a history of misunderstanding metaphors" (calling you out on your bullshit "statement of fact", not for the first time). And also, you're metaphor is broken, and you're either stupid and don't understand your own metaphor (as I mentioned before), or you don't understand how the site works. There is no screwdriver in our hand, idiot. We would have to code one into the automation system, and the only two people who have the authority and know-how are pretty much acknowledged by everyone to be on leave for the forseeable future right now. Also, I'm not trying to "Hammer in a screw", I'm saying the screw should be left out. It's funny how you accuse me of misunderstanding metaphors when you can't even understand my point well enough to make one, or alternatively, don't even understand your own.

Third of all, I don't think you understand how the site works, or again, are just stupid. The matches have a far more chance of being deviated then set tournaments who have a small pool of hand-picked judges who are required to submit long and in-depth reviews of the work, even if the matches somehow show the user who submitted the rating. Isn't that part of the damn point you're trying to make? Get your own facts straight before you try to reply. Also, if you drop out of a tournament, you don't lose to anyone, you just drop out and join the next one. It doesn't affect your "ranking" on the site.

Again, either you're stupid or you don't know how humans/basic logic works. How does the user realize their actions are not as anonymous as they once thought? They know people know someone is hate grading, people have been talking about the shit for the longest damn time, it's not like you're topic is some kind of revelation, or that it brings a revealing fact to the table. How in the goddamn world is a hate grader(s) going to be threatened when your thread amounts to, "H0LY SH!T DUDEZ! SOME1 IS H8 GR4D!NG!1!11 W3 SHUD CH4NG3 T3H S1T3 T0 F!X !T!1!" (that and making an ass out of yourself I guess). How the hell is something that's already been said and proposed (something that sheds absolutely no light on the identity of the grader) going to threaten the hate grader(s) sense of anonymity in any possible way? Forget talking about the chemicals, I think you should concentrate on learning basic logic first.

If a guy writes regardless, and thinks "Hey, let me post my work on a forum of peers, get some free and easy feedback from the comments on there, maybe get into an engaging conversation about my work on the board, wow, what a great resource for a writer the internet is!", but then thinks "But shit, what if some dude makes my Fight Point Average go down?! NOOOOOO!" Then they can keep their damn writing to themselves, in fact, I would be happier if they just got off the site altogether.

#54 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Today is the first time I'm reading your response, and I gotta say, I stopped reading after the fourth or fifth time you said stupid. If you're going to throw insults around and behave with such immaturity, I won't bother responding to that. If you want to edit that post to something more mature, let me know and I'll gladly address it. However, I don't want you to think I've nothing to say; I just don't respond to childish antics. Like I said, use manners, and then I'll see if what you say is worth a post in return.

If anyone else would like to summarize what Force tried to say, make sure he thanks you.

#55 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Double post!

#56 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

@G4

It seems to be a matter of opinion, rather than a matter of anything factual, as such you likely won't get to an agreement on it.

From what I can see, Force seems to be of the opinion that the votes and point system means (or should mean) absolutely nothing to an aspiring writer and as such the hate voter is irrelevant at worst, and at best actively keeping writers away that aren't 'serious' enough about their writing to ignore it.

While you seem to be of the opinion that it's a useful tool and as such the hate voting is a bad thing

Of course he seems to be ignoring basic psychology about negative feedback and the fact that humans in general aren't very logical about things that they are interested and passionate about, but considering that he's only 16 years old, that's not all that surprising.

#57 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Well, props on decoding his post. You're right of course; the most logical thing for me to do would have been to read and respond accordingly, but my personal philosophy about posting ettiquette prevented me from having done so.

#58 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I can show who gave what grade easy enough. You people really want this?

#59 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I certainly think it'd help.

#60 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

I do as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic