#21 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

What does writing your name on a book you wrote have anything to do with grades? If someone is hate grading, then they're not gonna give a reason anyway, and it's their complete right to, so what does showing the names have anything to do with improving your craft or getting better? Take the comments, or leave them, and don't worry about the number. It's simple. If you're that bothered by it, then that sucks, you obviously don't care about writing setups that much, which is the primary purpose of the site. The rating system is auxiliary. As for the whole "getting credit for what you deserve", it's pretty established that most people get credit by the comments written, not by whatever grade. The comments are what people look for for praise, always have been, always will be. Showing grader names is pointless.

#22 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

It's not like we're only getting bad votes here. Eh, to each his own.

#23 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Two Notes:

1. It could be that someone has higher standards. I know that I would grade on a curve for CBUB. You don't want an FPL critique (Although, our CA's haves been a little lightweight lately).

2. A former FPLer is now a published author and his book is on Amazon. This site can be serious for some.

Higher standards is a good thing. But it means nothing if no one knows it. That's half my issue here. I love that someone made it as an author. I wonder if you realized as you were typing that how many people you'd inspire, and how many you'll continue to inspire as more users frequent that particular post.

#24 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Meh. I guess we all can say this and that, shit won't change anyways so it is a pointless discussion.

It's changing as we speak. Even your post changed things, even if only very slightly. Big things start small man!

#25 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

What does writing your name on a book you wrote have anything to do with grades? If someone is hate grading, then they're not gonna give a reason anyway, and it's their complete right to, so what does showing the names have anything to do with improving your craft or getting better? Take the comments, or leave them, and don't worry about the number. It's simple. If you're that bothered by it, then that sucks, you obviously don't care about writing setups that much, which is the primary purpose of the site. The rating system is auxiliary. As for the whole "getting credit for what you deserve", it's pretty established that most people get credit by the comments written, not by whatever grade. The comments are what people look for for praise, always have been, always will be. Showing grader names is pointless.

It was an example of things that aren't necessary, Force. And if someone or more than one person is hate grading anonymously, than making yourself known is an active deterrent. Yes, people have a right to vote however they like, but how is what's happening conductive to a better writing environment? Frankly, it isn't. If we can grow past needless discouragement, we can be the best that we can be and see the EF in all it's shining glory. To be honest, some of the questions your asking have pretty obvious answers.

#26 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Whenever I write, I usually write mostly out of love for the characters that I happened to have grown up with and admired as my own personal heroes. A lot of people here usually gravitate towards the Marvel and DC spectrum but me, I just want to give that love to the characters that I know which they don't get a lot of here. Having that said, I am in perhaps the minority and this is a very small minority considering how few our numbers of members here are on this site-- and I will admit I have gotten a few critics-- I could perhaps name three or four of them right off the bat but out of respect I won't.

I mostly write for myself, and maybe the audience which actually happens to like my works. However I also write while keeping to what has been established in the material that I happen to know about and do my best in keeping the personalities of the characters in question. I also write to give some glimpse of what these characters that I followed for so many years to readers who are unfamiliar of what these characters are and who they are.

Whenever I see a person who doesn't know about the characters that I know, suddenly gain a small sense of respect and maybe an interest in to where conversations between me and them about a character could be talked about-- then I feel really good about myself, my storylines and feel as if I had opened up their eyes to these wonderful characters that I grew up with. Then I feel really good when this sense of respect is strongly instilled into a person.

Do I have critics? Yes... Are their words harsh? Sometimes... But I do my best to pick up the pieces and keep on writing.

Right now I haven't just written anything because of writer's block and the arthrtis in my hands acting up as of lately.

-Rakai'Thwei

#27 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

I think most of the harsh words people get, on cbub, are about their comments, and not about their setups.

To give an example, I've verbally slapped Corvette down(especially when he first joined), for ignorance and plain idiocy shown in comments. But I've never given criticism as harsh as that on people's setups.

#28 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

You want to inspire good writing? Get more people to write, review and comment and give you credit? Maybe instead of talking about it, you can do it. Write your best, encouraging others to do the same, despite what one guy says! Show him it doesn't matter what he rates a match, regardless of why he rates it that way! Actions speak louder than words.

To inspire you have to lead. Come on guys!

#29 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Let me put it this way. Let's assume that the one guy who rates low on a lot of matches is nothing more than a douche. With this topic right here, he's winning. He wants to get people down and make them feel down. Instead of being ignored, he gets whole topics about his exploits.

You can't have a fire without fuel.

And if he's not, then he has very high standards and doesn't feel he has to explain his rating to you. Annoying, yes but you can't force him to do it.

#30 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Annoying, yes but you can't force him to do it.

Posted Image

#31 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Very well Hayes, if you can take care of it, by all means.

The irony of me being the one trying(failing?) to give an inspirational speech is not lost on me.

#32 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Heh.

#33 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

You want to inspire good writing? Get more people to write, review and comment and give you credit? Maybe instead of talking about it, you can do it. Write your best, encouraging others to do the same, despite what one guy says! Show him it doesn't matter what he rates a match, regardless of why he rates it that way! Actions speak louder than words.

To inspire you have to lead. Come on guys!

Well, writing the best we can was never really the question. Like I said, I still write everyday, and many people continue to write regardless, which is good. What I'm suggesting is not to go on writing strike. What I'm suggesting is simply something that will make this site a little better, in terms of a positive and more productive place. We shouldn't be less inclined to write because of needless discouragement, but the fact is some people are. Also, how do we know it's just one guy? It could be ten guys, alternating at sporadic points in time. The problem may very well be bigger than we think.

#34 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Very well Hayes, if you can take care of it, by all means.

The irony of me being the one trying(failing?) to give an inspirational speech is not lost on me.

Why inspire people to accept something that doesn't have to be? I see you mean well, but that doesn't change the facts in this instance.

#35 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Let me put it this way. Let's assume that the one guy who rates low on a lot of matches is nothing more than a douche. With this topic right here, he's winning. He wants to get people down and make them feel down. Instead of being ignored, he gets whole topics about his exploits.

You can't have a fire without fuel.

And if he's not, then he has very high standards and doesn't feel he has to explain his rating to you. Annoying, yes but you can't force him to do it.

With this topic, he's not winning; he's more likely scared. And that's assuming it's just one person, which it very well could not be. Are we giving the issue attention? Of course. History has shown that turning a blind eye is a form of enabling.You can't have a fire without fuel, but the fire had already started. What we need now is a bucket of water, which is all I'm suggesting.

The fact that not a single person had owned up to doing this is living proof that he or she is hiding behind anonymity. So, we can find a solution, without forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. Where's the evil in that? Personally, I'd love to see where I truly rank amongst the great CBUB writers. Anyone who writes on this site has that same right, but it seems you're saying because you don't want that right, no one else should have it, or even want to have it.

#36 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

You're already on the top CBUB list, even if it is flawed. What more do you want? A top CBUB writer's tourney? CBUB isn't ever going to be perfect because we're only human. Moreover a tourney is great and all for that but seeing where you rank that way is subjective, it's all opinions and preferences. If you come up with a great system of judging for that, I'd love to hear it and implement it.

Very well, it could be ten people.

#37 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

I miss Tarv's tournaments. :'(

#38 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

You're already on the top CBUB list, even if it is flawed. What more do you want? A top CBUB writer's tourney? CBUB isn't ever going to be perfect because we're only human. Moreover a tourney is great and all for that but seeing where you rank that way is subjective, it's all opinions and preferences. If you come up with a great system of judging for that, I'd love to hear it and implement it.

Very well, it could be ten people.

You're saying I should be content with being on a flawed list? As I said, I'm not asking for perfection, just accuracy. No, I never said I wanted a top CBUB writers tourney, as fun as that could potentially be. You said it yourself, it's all opinions and preferences, with a touch of unnecessary hate. Do you suggest we coexist with said hate, as opposed to remedying the hate with nothing more than a simple fix?

#39 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm 38th on that list and proud of it. B)

#40 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

You're saying I should be content with being on a flawed list?

I don't know, that's something you have to ask yourself. How flawed is it? Its always going to be flawed in some way. Its not like a race, first one to cross the finish line is the best, its more subjective. Do you believe your spot on it was well-earned? I don't think my spot was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users