Photo
- - - - -

Most Overrated Characters/Who has the most fanboys?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

I could argue on so many levels that Batman should've died in Batman vs Predator, and more especially on Batman vs Aliens.

-Rakai'Thwei

Rakai? Batman v Ailens is non-canon for both continuities. And happened a decade ago. He has hideously far WORSE canonical travesties of PIS or people being stupid than that. if you're quoting crossovers, I have something infinitely worse in scale. Namely Batman KICKING Savage Hulk in the gut, knocking Hulk flat out and then KO'ing Hulk with gas.

#22 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

RPG characters in general tend to get overrated.

Expect a GTA fan to say that.

#23 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Rakai? Batman v Ailens is non-canon for both continuities. And happened a decade ago. He has hideously far WORSE canonical travesties of PIS or people being stupid than that. if you're quoting crossovers, I have something infinitely worse in scale. Namely Batman KICKING Savage Hulk in the gut, knocking Hulk flat out and then KO'ing Hulk with gas.

Yup.

Spoken like a Trooper, Adam. :lol:

#24 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

the predator's loss to Batman is somewhat less humilaiting than the loss to Dutch. Batman's takedowns of people far more powerful than Predators in -canon- are even more absurd and defy logic other than 'He's Batman'. ;P

#25 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

To be fair, Batman had been shot with a plasma blaster to the neck (I think. Rakai?).
He shouldn't have kept going.

Now, for this thread.

1. Batman (Prep time? How the ***** does that help?!)

2. Wolverine (He ain't indestructable. Close, but no.)

3. Superman (I don't care if many characters are based off him, he shouldn't beat the Sentry!!)

4. Hulk (Altough, he's got a lot of haters to match...)

5. Did I already say Batman?

#26 Culwych

Culwych

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Bane! Waaaaay overrated! On the old CBUB he actually beat Conan, which is just plain never gonna happen.

#27 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Bane! Waaaaay overrated! On the old CBUB he actually beat Conan, which is just plain never gonna happen.

WTF!? Really!? That's bull :lol:

#28 Culwych

Culwych

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

WTF!? Really!? That's bull :lol:

Yup, it's true. A man who can just about handle an expert martial artist dressed up as a flying rodent can actually beat a man who has taken on demons, gods, small armies, expert martial artists, sorcerers, beasts and many more.

I know this is not the underrated characters... but you'll also find that Conan (see above feats which can be proven) has been beaten by Bruce Lee (not going to happen), Batman (maybe, just maybe, outsmarted - but not in a fight), King Leonidas (nope) and .... wait for it....... Chewbacca!!!! HA!

#29 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

I could argue on so many levels that the writers at DC who write Batman comics were BatFanboys when they were little and managed to succeed into getting into DC and making Batman beat just about everyone.

-Rakai'Thwei

#30 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

I could argue on so many levels that the writers at DC who write Batman comics were BatFanboys when they were little and managed to succeed into getting into DC and making Batman beat just about everyone.

I'd argue that this is how EVERY comic book writer behaves, regardless of company affiliation. They always seem to be trying to outgun previous writers and make their characters more and more powerful with each issue. At least it isn't as bad as your typical shounen anime, where you have to sit through 20 episodes of "training" before the character gets more powerful. Comic book characters jump in power between issues without any real rhyme or reason other than "the plot dictates so." one issue Batman struggles to take down Random-Psycho-With-A-Random-Fetish, the next he's finding ways to make sure Darkseid ceases to exist </end intentional exaggeration>. More powerful =/= More interesting, Mr. Comic Book Writer Dudes, so please stop the lame power creep.

Just one reason why I stopped reading super hero comics and loathe most popular anime series. Hardly the main reason, but one of them.

#31 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

At least it isn't as bad as your typical shounen anime, where you have to sit through 20 episodes of "training" before the character gets more powerful.

Hay, at least it teaches kids that to do anything worth while you have to work for it. Most Comic Book characters have power heaped on them and reinforce the idea that you can just sit around being lazy and Bam! you have super powers!

#32 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Well, I think it depends. In DC, yeah, it just happens (Superman got his powers from being in the sun, Flash was struck with lightning while doing experiments, Green Lantern got a ring, etc).

Note: Except for Batman. He's DC's exception.

But over at Marvel, "Great power comes with great responsibility". Nearly everyone who got powers hates that they did. Their lives suck due to them!

Example: Bruce Banner can't be happy cause he's the Hulk! Heck, he can't even make love with the woman he loves. Is that happy?

Or the X-Men, who were born with their power, but hated and discriminated because of it. Heck, some look like sideshow attractions! Is that happy & lazy?

#33 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

Although while this doesn't apply to CBUB, this does however pretain to the likes of Deviantart.

Naruto characters are SERIOUSLY OVERPIMPED there. You have Naruto art on the left, and you have Naruto art on the right, you have Naruto art infront of you-- on DA you cannot escape the wrath that is the Naruto fandom. And with the combined weight of both Fanboys and Fangirls there... WHOAH.

-Rakai'Thwei

#34 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Even the characters that have to train start off getting powers "spontaneously." Goku is a super-alien. Naruto has some fox demon inside of him. Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho and Ichigo from Bleach both could see ghosts and stuff. They were all "special" before things started.

On the other hand, shounen series tend to outright PUNISH anyone that dares to be as special as these characters, yet didn't start off with special abilities. Rock Lee from Naruto trains and overachieves, and what does he get? He nearly gets killed by another "I was born with powers" character. Krillin in DBZ? Same thing.

That said, most mecha anime series DO have ordinary people that are thrust into situations and are given a giant robot, and its often that "normalness" that lends them the "power" that other, more "experienced" people don't have. But your average shounen fighter? The complete opposite.

If anything, shounen series are worse, in that they teach kids that you have to already be privledged to get anywhere. At least with comics you have everyday people suddenly getting powers out of nowhere, saying that anyone could suddenly become "super." Peter Parker wasn't an alien with a demon spirit in his stomach, he was an everyday dork that got bitten by a spider.

But yeah, this is a little off topic, but whatever. Heehee...

#35 Diskyr

Diskyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

WHO HAS THE MOST FANBOYS?!?

Obviously DC and Marvel Companies of course

#36 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

And any Marvel or DC fan can just as well argue that most DBZ fans won't listen to reason, feats, or give justification, numbers or not.

#37 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

And any Marvel or DC fan can just as well argue that most DBZ fans won't listen to reason, feats, or give justification, numbers or not.

DBZers try and decide a debate with numbers and math...

#38 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

At least they're -trying-. Since the series does not give very good feats or equivalents, they do waht limited they can when faced with demands for evidnece of feats and how well a character is. They're trying to take forth evidence and turn it into capabilities and concrete stats when the series itself si kidn of light on them, and do in such a manner that makes them able to stand up to inspection and compare them to other chars. Give them THAT much credit.

#39 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

At least they're -trying-. Since the series does not give very good feats or equivalents, they do waht limited they can when faced with demands for evidnece of feats and how well a character is. They're trying to take forth evidence and turn it into capabilities and concrete stats when the series itself si kidn of light on them, and do in such a manner that makes them able to stand up to inspection and compare them to other chars. Give them THAT much credit.

Umm...Since when was I discrediting them?

You: "Most Marvel/DC fans say that DBZers never listen to logic"

Me: "They use math to figure feats out..."

Ya see?

#40 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Sorry Marv15, misread what you stated and meant, thought you were being sarcastic. :>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users