#1 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hi all

With the advent of digital self-publishing which makes it easy to write and sell a novel directly to consumers (e.g through Amazon for Kindle readers) I thought it would be a fun project for those of us who are interested to write and publish a novel.

I have a story framework in mind for a community novel which I will lay out. I think it will be a lot of fun to work on. The framework will offer a great deal of flexibility for the authors to develop their own character ideas and stories.

The end goal is, naturally, to have our novel self published and available from Amazon for e-readers.

The format will be an Anthology where a pool of characters are developed and then drawn upon by the authors to use in their particular story.

The novel will be done in the Romance genre. Romance is the most popular and highest selling fiction market. I do understand if the idea of writing Romance is not your bag. That's cool. It is a female target audience and maybe you don't relate. However, I feel that the framework will make developing the characters for and then writing a short story for the Romance anthology book fun.

If you feel that you are interested and have time to devote to this writing project then please post here or PM me or something to let me know to add you to the Community Novel group. Only members in the group will have access to this forum once we get going so that we can work on and complete the novel.

I do hope some of you are interested. I'm sure a lot of us often consider writing a novel and this offers a way for all of us to get our names on something on Amazon we can point to and say there's our novel.

If you are interested in joining the writing project, let me know.

Thanks!

#2 OMFG

OMFG

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

First!!! Yes, I would be interested in joining. Specifically since all we read last school year were chick flickish books. (Read Twilight, Romeo Juliet, ect..)
Plus, I need to increase my creative writing skills.
I have one request though. To be paid with Trident Layers Fruit Gum. That is all.

#3 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

I'm interested but I'm wavering.

Wait. If we don't join we can't get on EF?

#4 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

I'd love to contribute. The most relevant modern intersection of Romance and Anthology is probably the film Love Actually, so that might be a good jumping-off point for the collaborating authors to reference.

#5 corvette1710

corvette1710

The Bastard Child of Sarcasm and Hypocrisy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Durr.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

SUPER HERO CLICHE LOVE STORY OF FORBIDDEN EPIC COMING RIGHT UP.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

Gotta pass a grammar quiz.

#7 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hmm, perhaps Derek and Shmirdra, my own two characters from Starfire Squadron? I've been writing about them anyway, though my grammar does need some work.

I could give a link to the story on FictionPress, if anyone would like to take a look. Although technically a romance the two don't realize they like each other till later on in between, we have a war, space pirates, guns, vibroblades and some nasty villains.

#8 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

The test is as follows: My sentence structuring, grammar, punctuation, diction, spelling and overall usage of the English language is overall mediocre at best, as I am mostly self-taught because I squandered my college years with video games and girls. So, if you feel like your all those things I just mentioned are worse than mine, you fail the test. Heh!

#9 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I squandered my college years with video games and girls.

I squandered my college years with video games and no girls. I think that makes you twice as productive.

I'll try to help as I can, but I'm currently still working on a half-written script that will remain half-written for the rest of my life if I don't get my ass in gear.

#10 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I'm totally interested. As much as the idea of teen-oriented Romance terrifies me a little bit, I'm totally down with learning to do something new.

#11 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn't let the "romance" angle turn people off. Just because the intent of this is to do something targeting that demographic doesn't mean you can't have other stuff going on at the same time.

And yeah, I'll probably be interested in this.

#12 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

100% interested.

#13 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Although technically a romance the two don't realize they like each other till later on in between, we have a war, space pirates, guns, vibroblades and some nasty villains.

Romance: you're doing it wrong.

#14 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

I am really happy to see there are a few interested people. It looks like for sure we have
- Foxfingers
- Pseudonym
- Peypeypeypey
- Darkender
- OMFG
- Treacherous
- Ivan

Looks like possible maybe's are
- Landon
- Corvette
- Mercenary
- DJ
- godspeed 88

I think that's what I am seeing. If everyone contributes that would be nine short stories in the romance anthology which would be pretty awesome. But even just Five well polished stories would be a good e-book.

I'll start setting up the posts to begin work shopping the pieces of the anthology.

#15 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

This forum "The Community Novel Project" is now locked just for contributors.

If you have decided you have changed your mind and will not be contributing a character and story to the novel project, let me know.

I know it may be difficult for some to find time to contribute to a polished work intended to be sold on Amazon and / or to write in this genre.

Thanks!

#16 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Romance: you're doing it wrong.

Explain please

#17 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Not to hijack my own thread for a rant but...

The more I have researched and looked into self publishing through Amazon for the Kindle (as an example) the more in awe I am of where we are at.

Just 15 years ago if you were a person such as myself who dreamed of writing a novel, there was an incredible series of flaming hoops to jump through and a great deal of luck involved to publish anything. The publishing houses had an absolute stranglehold on the ability to get a work of fiction onto bookshelves. You might actually spend a lot of time and money getting a representative known as a Literary Agent to help you move your novel through a publishing house.

And suddenly, here we are. You write it yourself, you upload it to Amazon yourself and people can buy it direct. And some people are making a living at it.

I imagine there is a lot of crap being uploaded, but the fact remains that if your Kung-Fu is good then it is just between you and the readers. There is no Publishing House waiting to send you a stock rejection letter any more. I got those letters when I was trying to write novels in High School and I'm really just a little blown away about how there is no gatekeeper.

#18 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Not to hijack my own thread for a rant but...

The more I have researched and looked into self publishing through Amazon for the Kindle (as an example) the more in awe I am of where we are at.

Just 15 years ago if you were a person such as myself who dreamed of writing a novel, there was an incredible series of flaming hoops to jump through and a great deal of luck involved to publish anything. The publishing houses had an absolute stranglehold on the ability to get a work of fiction onto bookshelves. You might actually spend a lot of time and money getting a representative known as a Literary Agent to help you move your novel through a publishing house.

And suddenly, here we are. You write it yourself, you upload it to Amazon yourself and people can buy it direct. And some people are making a living at it.

I imagine there is a lot of crap being uploaded, but the fact remains that if your Kung-Fu is good then it is just between you and the readers. There is no Publishing House waiting to send you a stock rejection letter any more. I got those letters when I was trying to write novels in High School and I'm really just a little blown away about how there is no gatekeeper.

That is amazing and gives me a bit of hope for myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users