6 replies to this topic

#1 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

"Look, is this gonna take long? I've got stuff to do." Sage examined the dirt under his fingernails.

Masuta Tengoku continued meditating. Between gigantic breaths he said, "Patience, young one. You can not rush good training."

"Training? Who do you think I am? Alpha Sentinels don't need training."

Suddenly, Masuta Tengoku struck out with his palm and grabbed hold of Sage's shoulder. With a deep breath in, he pulled both into Mu: The Gateless Barrier. He let go and stepped backwards. "Your training will now begin."

Sage scoffed. "Is this supposed to impress me, old man? I've been through twelve dimensions like this since breakfast this morning. Wooo, we can walk through stuff." Sage pushed his hand through the walls. "Big deal."

"Ah, but you can not escape The Gateless Barrier until you have conquered your spiritual demons and captured me." With those words, the old ninja dissipated, having fled to other parts of the world of Mu.

Sage sighed and snapped his fingers. He felt his familiar cushion of light sweep him off his feet, but just as he encountered the threshold of the physical realm, he was stopped and slammed forcefully back into Mu. His head rung with the pain. He roared to nowhere in particular, "What gives, old man. How are you blocking my magic?"

A trickster chuckle emanated from the darkness. "It is not I who blocks your magic, child. Something in Mu is preventing you."

Another figure stepped into the dojo. It was shorter and skinnier than Tengoku but Sage could tell it was someone familiar. He had no idea why until he looked closer.

Sage sighed. "Goddammit, why are you me?"

"I am your Mu clone."

Sage remembered Tenogku's words from a minutes before about spiritual demons. "That double talking old bastard"

He turned to his clone. "So, what, I have to kill you to move on? Okay." Sage stretched his arms out wide. Two orbs bursting with extra-dimensional magic appeared in his hands. "After I kill you, I'm blowing a hole in this stupid dimension. Because I have a salon appointment and they will charge me extra if I'm late."

Sage let the balls of mystic energy fly. His Mu clone didn't react as they sailed harmlessly through him and then through the walls. The clone chuckled. "You're still attached to the physical while in the realm of the spiritual? That's amazing." Suddenly the clone was standing directly behind Sage. Sage vaguely recognized the spell as a teleportation charm he had learned ages ago, but he stopped using because there was no fanfare.

"Here's the deal," said the clone. "Because we're here in Mu, I'm your personal anchor. If I die in here, you do too. But, if you die in here, I can finally break free of Mu."

"So what, you're going to kill me?"

"That's the plan."

The room exploded seconds after Sage managed to get off a transportation spell. He hadn't time to decide on where he was going. He found himself floating in an entirely different section of Mu. There was no analog in the physical realm, so Sage was completely lost. He knew that his spell had given off enough power that if the clone had even a modicum of interest, he would track it within seconds.

He stood up and looked around. He was the lobby of a vast, empty palace with Corinthian column stretching to a ceiling that was almost too tall to view. Sage turned and walked out the door muttering to himself "I need to find Tengoku so I can get out of here."
---
I dunno if I should finish this. I wrote it on a whim.

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Heh, I might have to explain the concept of Mu to you. It's deep shitake. But, sure continue. I'm enjoying it.

Note: Personally, I'd think Sage's mind is way too clouded to enter Mu.

"The notions of education, understanding, traditions, are the very mental mountains we are attempting to penetrate. Nothing we know or believe will set us free, freedom is only obtained by letting go of our conceptual baggage."

Sage would have to become mentally empty. He ain't ready son.

#3 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Every time I use someone else's characters, I step on some toes. I'd say either Tengoku is ninja enough to drag an encumbered spirit with him into Mu. Or we can just chalk it up to multiple writers on the same character. Anyway, thanks for reading.

#4 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

You don't step on my toes. I don't care. You might step on a few Zen practitioner's toes. Here's more Mu stuff...

"Would you like to pass through this barrier? Then concentrate your whole body, with its 360 bones and joints, and 84,000 hair follicles, into this question of what "Mu" is; day and night, without ceasing, hold it before you. It is neither nothingness, nor its relative "not" of "is" and "is not." It must be like gulping a hot iron ball that you can neither swallow nor spit out.
Then, all the useless knowledge you have diligently learned till now is thrown away. As a fruit ripening in season, your internality and externality spontaneously become one. As with a mute man who had had a dream, you know it for sure and yet cannot say it. Indeed your ego-shell suddenly is crushed, you can shake heaven and earth. Just as with getting ahold of a great sword of a general, when you meet Buddha you will kill Buddha. A master of Zen? You will kill him, too. As you stand on the brink of life and death, you are absolutely free. You can enter any world as if it were your own playground. How do you concentrate on this Mu? Pour every ounce of your entire energy into it and do not give up, then a torch of truth will illuminate the entire universe."

#5 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Woah, that's some serious stuff. Now I have to uh figure out where the rest of this story goes, I guess.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Just to drudge up an old conversation and to perhaps help you, in the manga Lone Wolf and Cub there is a scene in which the protagonist, Ogami Itto, must kill a Buddha. The Buddha however, is said to be unassailable due to being in a constant state of Mu. So, Ogami is of course like, “Screw that noise. I’m killin this here sucka.” (because that’s how I imagine Samurai talk). So, he tracks this Buddha down at a festival and comes in all sound and the fury and tries to cut the monk down. Nothing doing. It doesn’t work. He can’t even get close. It’s like the monk isn’t even there. The Buddha’s Mu is so strong that Ogami nearly drops his sword. So, Ogami is like…to beat Mu I must become Mu.

So, he goes off into the mountains and meditates. He meditates for like days or something. Doesn’t eat, doesn’t drink, doesn’t poop, just meditates, emptying out all the bs that is holding him back. Real transcendental stuff here - honing his own mastery and devotion to his path and arts. Eventually he reaches it. He hits Mu and becomes nothing. To prove the point, a pack of wolves comes upon his scent and tracks it through the mountains. They find the cave in which he is meditating, but when they get to the spot where Ogami is sitting, they can’t find him. It is as if he’s disappeared, yet he is sitting right there. They sniff all around the spot he is sitting, but can’t find the samurai. Eventually they leave.

So after attaining this ability, he encounters the Buddha again and surprises him by walking right to him and stabbing him in the gut. The end.

Achievement Unlocked: Mu.

There’s your story right there. Instead of thinking of Mu as a place, think of it as a state of being. Tengoku challenges Sage to touch him. Sage tries all his magical tricks, but can’t do it. The lesson is to stop relying on what you know and forget, dissolve, delete everything you know and give in to Mu. Perhaps a humbling experience for Sage that he can’t do this with his normal vast array of tricks. Very hard for him since he must unlearn everything he has learned.

#7 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yeah - that was the intended lesson. I wanted to take the most materialistic character in the gallery and turn his materialism against him. I already went with the "Your magic is useless" bit - his spells sail through the world of Mu.

I created an actual separate plane of Mu just so that I could have him adventuring with an actual goal. I added the idea of a Mu!Self so to emphasize how powerless Sage is in this world.

To be honest, I don't have a plan at all for the rest of this story. I wrote it on a whim because I like the characters. Maybe I'll continue it though. I just reread it and it's fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users