#101 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Every night, before I go to bed, I pray for God to save this world, to rid it of all evil, to save the Africans, the Asians, everyone who has to endure horror. I pay my respects.

Talking to your imaginary friend has absolutely nothing to do with respect, it has more to do with your issues about feeling good about yourself, rather than actually doing something about the various issues.

I don't care if your atheist or agnostic or whatever, but the fact remains that praying to God is a pretty sacred act that Christians (or whatever monotheistic religion Surfer might be) believe to do something. Praying for someone has EVERYTHING to do with respect, I don't care if you believe in it, but to say that praying for someone else is just a vehicle for "feeling good about yourself" is disgustingly ignorant of what the act means to most people of religion. Again, I don't care if you believe in praying, but be informed before you end up looking like an intolerant douchebag. You ask anyone what's a better show of respect, prayer or stupid jokes, and any sane person will answer prayer. And your whole point is moot anyway, it's more likely that Surfer has "done something" about the various issues around the world than something for the families at Colorado. I've given international issues time and money, I haven't really given either to the people of Colorado, because they don't need it. All I give them is my sympathy, and sorrow, which again, as I pointed out, we all give to the "various other random people who are dying every single minute around the globe", consciously and not.

#102 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Every night, before I go to bed, I pray for God to save this world, to rid it of all evil, to save the Africans, the Asians, everyone who has to endure horror. I pay my respects.

Talking to your imaginary friend has absolutely nothing to do with respect, it has more to do with your issues about feeling good about yourself, rather than actually doing something about the various issues.

I don't think people pray to reassure that they are good people. At least I don't. Thinking of the people who have it bad and hoping that there situation improves, is paying some respect. It's better than thinking "lol asians r gud at math they could make a gud plan" or making some other tasteless joke. When it comes to doing something about the issue, the question is what can you do? Donate to charity whose doing what they want with that money? Fly to Africa(if you can afford travel, take off work, school, leave your family) and help them out(I know a few people that actually do this)? I say hoping there situation improves is better than not acknowledging them at all.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I have donated my money to March of Dimes, Invisible Children, Relay for Life, etc. It's hard to know where your money is going though, especially the Kony 2012 charity was keeping 80% of the proceeds.

#103 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

snip

I don't care if your atheist or agnostic or whatever, but the fact remains that praying to God is a pretty sacred act that Christians (or whatever monotheistic religion Surfer might be) believe to do something.

Believing it does something has absolutely nothing to do with it actually doing something, and everything to do with feeling good about yourself, because you believe that you're doing something.

Praying for someone has EVERYTHING to do with respect, I don't care if you believe in it, but to say that praying for someone else is just a vehicle for "feeling good about yourself" is disgustingly ignorant of what the act means to most people of religion.

No, I am well aware that many people who are religious believe that praying means they are doing something, however this is not true, all they are doing is talking to their imaginary friend, and making themselves feel good because they feel like they are doing something, rather than actually doing something.

Again, I don't care if you believe in praying, but be informed before you end up looking like an intolerant douchebag.

I am informed, there has been done some studies which show that praying, at best does absolutely nothing, and at worst, actually harms those who are being prayed for, due to them being stressed about it.

I'm not quite sure if you've figured this out yet, but it is possible to disagree with somebody, while still remaining civil, you should try it, it would make you send less like an intolerant douchebag :)

You ask anyone what's a better show of respect, prayer or stupid jokes, and any sane person will answer prayer.

That isn't quite true, if I asked most Americans that would be true, but if I asked almost any Dane they would say that praying does absolutely nothing, and that laughter is the best medicine, or something along those lines, again we're back at the perspective thing.

And your whole point is moot anyway,

How is my point moot?, my point is that his prayers are doing absolutely nothing to help, other than making him feel good about himself.

If you actually have some evidence which shows that prayer actually has an effect, I would love to see it, but until that time, my point remains.

#104 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Ok, this thread really has run its course, as a means for us to try and process tragedy and gang up on sirmethos for being a troll. (he played the role well.) Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users