force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Facebook message (since taken down by the author):

"the BatMan movie good? I heard people from Colorado said it was 'to die for'".

Try reading that without your stomach churning.

#62 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hehe, got a chuckle out of me.

I'm definitely stealing that for facebook myself.

#63 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Sirmethos, you are quite the douche when it comes to stuff like this. First you were being a bad ass about some CBUBer showing up at someone's house, now this. What are you trying to prove? That you are too desensitized when it comes to stuff like this? Would you chuckle this soon if it were your friend or family member murdered? Seriously, six year old kids being gunned is not funny. Six years old, sit down and think about that. I wish I lived in Denmark right now.

Just watch out, karma is a bitch when you act like a bitch.

#64 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I liked how he liked his own status about it.

#65 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

He's that much of a bad ass.

#66 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Of course, because(again) giving my honest opinion, has to be because I'm trying to prove something.[/sarcasm]

No, I honestly think it's funny. As someone I shared it with put it "That's horrible. Hilarious, but horrible."

When my grandfather died of cancer, I was making jokes about it a few days later, so was my dad who has the same general humor as I do.

When someone at school(kinda like a boarding school, where you live at the school), was sending death threats to one of the other students, and it turned out to be her room mate, everyone got angry at me for making the joke that "At least she kept her promise about finding out who sent the letters."

My friend who works for Greenpeace, always gets angry when we see commercials with kids from africa, and I make the joke that "they eat too much and work too little."

Giving your opinion, has nothing to do with being a badass, or being anything else for that matter. It's simply sharing your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's hilarious, which is why I put it on my facebook. And now, people's reactions here, have given me even more laughs(just as I'm sure that reactions to my putting it on my facebook status, will give me plenty of laughs as well). ^^ Keep 'em coming.

Edit: Oh, and there's no such thing as Karma. It's about as real as the tooth fairy, santa clause, or the dictator in the sky.

#67 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hitler's opinion of killing anyone that didn't fit the aryan race motif, didn't make him any less of the evil person he was. Just like your opinion doesn't make you any less of the douche you are acting. Keep hiding behind "It's my opinion blah blah". I never said you can't have an opinion, nor did I say you can't laugh at it. All in all, show some respect for the dead. A 3 month old baby got murdered.

#68 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

He wasn't insane. He was a terrorist. Simple. He deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life.

And for what purpose? So we can pay for him for the rest of his life out of our taxes?

#69 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, the 3 month old survived.

Sirmethos, some people wouldn't appreciate you making jokes about the massacre and whatnot. You making jokes about your grandfather is fine, it's your family. Now, the mother who is currently in critical condition, who doesn't know her 6 year old was murdered wouldn't appreciate your jokes. The problem lies in the fact that you probably give no fucks about respecting her. You show that with your jokes. You might not think your jokes are a bad thing and that's alright. But there is a time and place for you to make your jokes. Around people who are a bit more sensitive than you is a bad place. 2 days after the incident is a bad time.

#70 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sirmethos, you are quite the douche when it comes to stuff like this. First you were being a bad ass about some CBUBer showing up at someone's house, now this. What are you trying to prove? That you are too desensitized when it comes to stuff like this? Would you chuckle this soon if it were your friend or family member murdered? Seriously, six year old kids being gunned is not funny. Six years old, sit down and think about that. I wish I lived in Denmark right now.

Just watch out, karma is a bitch when you act like a bitch.

Now I feel bad for laughing :/

#71 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

So I go from trying to "be badass", to "hiding". Make up your mind.

I'm not hiding behind anything. Again, I'm giving my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

And at least get your facts straight. No, a 3 months old baby was not murdered. The youngest of the 12 dead is 6 years old girl. One of the wounded was a baby though. Still tragic, but there is a huge difference between "murdered" and "wounded".

"Now, the mother who is currently in critical condition, who doesn't know her 6 year old was murdered wouldn't appreciate your jokes. The problem lies in the fact that you probably give no *vulgarity*s about respecting her. You show that with your jokes."

I'm not making jokes around the 6 year old girl's mom. Just like I didn't make the cancer jokes around my grandma. So that's a moot point.

"You might not think your jokes are a bad thing and that's alright. But there is a time and place for you to make your jokes."

Well, that much is true at least :)

"Around people who are a bit more sensitive than you is a bad place. 2 days after the incident is a bad time."

That however, is not entirely correct. Around people who were directly affected, that would be a bad place. But since I'm not doing that, that's a moot point(again).

But no, 2 days after the incident is not a bad time. Or at least, that "it's a bad time", is debatable.

#72 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm not hiding behind anything. Again, I'm giving my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

And at least get your facts straight. No, a 3 months old baby was not murdered. The youngest of the 12 dead is 6 years old girl. One of the wounded was a baby though. Still tragic, but there is a huge difference between "murdered" and "wounded".

"Now, the mother who is currently in critical condition, who doesn't know her 6 year old was murdered wouldn't appreciate your jokes. The problem lies in the fact that you probably give no *vulgarity*s about respecting her. You show that with your jokes."

I'm not making jokes around the 6 year old girl's mom. Just like I didn't make the cancer jokes around my grandma. So that's a moot point.

"You might not think your jokes are a bad thing and that's alright. But there is a time and place for you to make your jokes."

Well, that much is true at least

"Around people who are a bit more sensitive than you is a bad place. 2 days after the incident is a bad time."

That however, is not entirely correct. Around people who were directly affected, that would be a bad place. But since I'm not doing that, that's a moot point(again).

But no, 2 days after the incident is not a bad time. Or at least, that "it's a bad time", is debatable.

See, here, you are just stickling for details. Fine, whatever, you love debating so you revolve around details. However, this is not about the details. This is about a massacre. So while you might think it's okay to make jokes about it to people who weren't directly involved, some people are still horrified by it and would appreciate it if you stopped making such jokes. You've shown that you truly give no fucks and no respect in doing such.

You say it's a moot point because you aren't making the joke around the 6 year old's mother. I disagree. It is a perfectly valid point because you are making the joke at all. A person is fighting for their life, not knowing that the person they love most in the world is dead, and you are making a joke about it? It doesn't really matter where, spatially, you are doing it, it matters where, relatively, you are doing it. 2 days after the incident is a bad time. People are still in shock from it. People still can't wrap their brains around it. Just because you have and find it okay to joke about it does not make it okay to do so.

Sirmethos, it comes down to a simple matter of respect. You should show more respect for what happened. That's all. If you don't want to show respect for what happened, and continue to make jokes, do it somewhere that isn't here. It's been shown that we usually don't appreciate your opinions on these sorts of matters. While yes, I can't speak for everyone, the more vocal members show that they don't appreciate your opinions on these sorts of matters.

#73 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

And for what purpose? So we can pay for him for the rest of his life out of our taxes?

QFT. I feel the exact same way. The question then is, how do you deal with him? Drop him off somewhere in the wilderness and say good luck? That is a hard question to answer.

@methos- I think you just like arguing too much. You can give your opinion, that's fine, all I am saying is show some respect. When we start making jokes about little kids dieing a few days after it happens, what does it say about our society? To quote Dale from the Walking Dead "When the world goes to shit, at least I can say it didn't drag me down with it."

#74 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well, that much is true at least

#75 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

snip

it comes down to a simple matter of respect.

You're right, it does come down to a matter of respect, and obviously we have fairly different ideas on how respect works.

You obviously find it wrong and disrespectful to make jokes about various tragedies and so on, whereas both methos and myself would generally be making jokes about various stuff pretty much as soon as it happened.

I don't see it as disrespectful to make jokes about stuff like this, imo, I'm showing them the respect of not giving them meaningless platitudes and various bullshit that while well meaning is going to do absolutely nothing, but rather turning the horrible tragedy into something that people can laugh at, improving the situation just a little bit.

#76 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

i was not agreeing with this just decided not to reply and it did this.

#77 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Except that joke is just flat out not funny. Heads up, when your idea of "making people laugh" is most other people's idea of "making people pissed the f*ck off", it would be better for everyone involved to keep your screwed up opinions to yourself.

#78 Nilan

Nilan

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

"the BatMan movie good? I heard people from Colorado said it was 'to die for'".

Heh.

#79 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, sirmethos and kainboa, I make terrible, sickly jokes as well. What force said made me see a new side of this. The original joke that was made was, in my opinion, not even funny. I make plenty of Jew/Holocaust jokes, but I never found humor in the "Difference between a pizza and a Jew is pizzas don't scream in the oven" joke, so I don't make it. To be closer to the point, I don't think I have ever, or will ever, hear a funny Columbine joke. I don't see too funny of a joke coming out of this happening either.

In other news...http://www.newyorker...s.html?mobify=0

Genius move by the NRA, amirite? This can be construed as a 2nd Amendment fight, so what do they do? They make Hollywood the bad guys.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".

#80 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Violent movies, games, music, etc. and guns are always the first ones blamed when these events happen. Like I said, the day this happened the media was blaming movies and guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users